Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have rather unusual thing as I've searched forum and read the manual before posting. Before I'll start - my car doesn't have 2 step opening enabled in the settings. So here it is : around 2 weeks ago my car started to misbehave when it comes to locking and unlocking itself. Sometimes it works fine sometimes it glitches. Normally when I press the closing button either on remote or the one in handle it flashes the indicator, closes the doors and folds the mirror. Now (not always) it locks the door, doesn't fold the mirrors and after few seconds chirps once - i believe it wants to tell me something but I couldnt find it in manual. Also when I open it by pulling the handle it opens the rear passenger door (as I'm putting my backpack in the back seat) and doesn't open the driver door (key is in the backpack). Sometimes it will open the door when I pull the handle and sometimes I have to take out the fob and press the button. It seems like it has mind of its own as sometimes everything works fine and it locks after pressing the button once, closes the door and folds the mirrors and sometimes goes bananas. I've noticed that if I press the button on door handle and then it locks and chirps once, when I press the button again it folds the mirrors. Another thing is when auto lock is on (the one that closes the doors when you drive away) when I stop and open drivers door it only opens them and I have to press the open button on cars console in order to open rear passanger doors to take my backpack out. Can you give me a hint where to look for solution? I don't know if that might have anything to do with it but the car was in for respray of front bumper immediately before that started to happen...i think that is just a coincidence but maybe there is something to it.

Apologies for such a long message but I wanted to explain everything in detail. Please help me as I'm going bananas over it ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
First have you checked the battery in the remote to see if is running low, normally it would give you a message on the dash but this would be a simple item to rule out. It’s also worth resetting the remote easy on the 250 just plug it in the dash slot on later models you will need to do that via the menu.
If those have not cured the problem then a main battery reset would be next to do, first make sure that the battery is fully charged.
If all that fails then there is something more serious such as faulty lock which will require further investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
18,051 Posts
Welcome Dekiello

Battery is an option to check. The XF (I presume it's an XF X250), can do all sorts of strange things when the battery voltage is low.

The other thing is can be is a defective door handle. Sounds like the drivers door.

There are links in the how to section. You can also find the workshop manuals in the useful links section.

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
My suggestion: one of the door latche mechanisms is on it's way out. When you've locked the car, put the key fob out of range and then go round and try the doors. If I'm right, one of them will open.

·
18,051 Posts
My suggestion: one of the door latche mechanisms is on it's way out. When you've locked the car, put the key fob out of range and then go round and try the doors. If I'm right, one of them will open.
John - did you not do a how-to on removing a door lock on the X250?

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
John - did you not do a how-to on removing a door lock on the X250?
Well, I did have to replace two of the latches on my XF but I don't think I did a how-to (really can't remember). I did one on window mechanism replacement.

·
18,051 Posts
Well, I did have to replace two of the latches on my XF but I don't think I did a how-to (really can't remember). I did one on window mechanism replacement.
That's probably what it was. Getting older ain't much fun when the mental faculties stary ti fial

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I took all your suggestions and went out to check. When I close the car and leave the fob away from the car all the doors are locking. Then when I open it all the doors are opening also - fair enough I have to pull the driver handle a little stronger but it opens. So , it opens, it locks itself so what the hell is that single chirp means ? I've changed battery in my remote. The main battery and start/stop battery are around 1 year old...it really doesnt make any sense. Do you think I should change the locking mechanism just to see if that's it ? Is that the one in link below ?

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
Hang on, my XJ only chirps once when I lock it (after pressing the lock button - fob or door - a second time). And I'm sure my XF did the same. Although the door mirrors do fold in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes chirps once to let you know it’s double locked.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
OK I’ve just been out to check mine.
on a single lock the indicator flashes and the mirrors fold. No beep
on a double lock the indicator flashes, mirrors fold and it gives a beep.

if your key is in the backpack that can cause issues so suggest you try with it in your pocket.

unfortunately I can’t understand why it is chirping on a single push of the button as mine does this only on the 2nd press To indicate it’s deadlocked.

do you have a Jaguar specific code reader as that may be able to narrow things down.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Could it be because he has disabled 2 step locking, so the "chirp" is replicating the alarm setting on 2nd stage.

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Iirc 2 step locking on the first press unlocks only the drivers door and a second press unlocks the whole car. It doesn’t affect the locking sequence.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think I'm going to change the locking mechanism , can you tell me is that the one I've posted earlier on ? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
190 Posts
You will need to establish which lock is faulty first as there is one for each door. Also if you have keyless entry they are different again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will need to establish which lock is faulty first as there is one for each door. Also if you have keyless entry they are different again.

Is there x250 version that doesn't have keyless entry? I thought that all x250's are keyless...now I believe it is the drivers door actuator.

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
Yes, there's a non-keyless entry X250. And it's important that you fit the correct one. A lot of eBay sellers don't know the difference. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, there's a non-keyless entry X250. And it's important that you fit the correct one. A lot of eBay sellers don't know the difference. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
So if you know can you paste a link to the correct part or give me part number? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You will still need to ascertain which door is the problem as each one is different, otherwise by trial and error you could end up replacing all four.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I suggest you reset the remote by placing it in the slot under the dash, that’s assuming it’s classic and not a facelift 250.
Once done try the doors on single stage to see what happens and then on two stage, also remember to check the boot and the bonnet to make sure they are properly shut.
I would also operate the mirrors folding a few times manually to ensure they are not sticking at all.
It’s going to be a process of elimination.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts