Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
So thanks for you time and the great chat. I hope to catch up again soon. I'll be at Lea Wood on Aug 7th!
We'll have Leawood Pump in steam on the 7th and operating, between 12 and 4.30pm. Closest car park is Lea Road (chargeable) or park in Lea Road if there's space. Note Lea Road is closed due to a landslide between Cromford and Leawood car park so access is only via Lea Bridge. Or of course you can park at Cromford and walk the mile along the canal. Refreshments available at High Peak Junction which is of interest itself as it's the old railway maintenance yard.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,812 Posts
We'll have Leawood Pump in steam on the 7th and operating, between 12 and 4.30pm. Closest car park is Lea Road (chargeable) or park in Lea Road if there's space. Note Lea Road is closed due to a landslide between Cromford and Leawood car park so access is only via Lea Bridge. Or of course you can park at Cromford and walk the mile along the canal. Refreshments available at High Peak Junction which is of interest itself as it's the old railway maintenance yard.
are you Sally traffic on R2?

a brilliant hobby to have...

FAR better than the tennis that Debs has planned for me.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The 4.5 hours of operation, what with the pre-warm of the boiler on the Saturday and relighting it around 9am on the Sunday, will consume around a ton of coal, current price £300.
Window Building Musician City Darkness

·
Registered
2014 XF 2.2D Premium Luxury, Odyssey Red, Superchipped.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry for the radio silence. Recently back off holiday in the ridiculously beautiful Isle of Wight.

So the TPMS issue is now resolved. I ended up taking it into Jagtech. It turns out in the facelift X250, the TPMS module under the drivers seat is much more robust than the older version, BUT any new TPMS valves need individually coding into the module.

For the full check of the system, coding and TPMS recalibration the bill came to £120 + VAT, which I think it pretty reasonable. They even delivered the car back to my house.

I was really impressed with their service, so have booked it in for them to change the transmission oil and MOT it later this month.

Thanks to @GeoffW and @Phil1 for recommending Jagtech, and especially to @cutlea01 for your infinite generosity of time and knowledge. I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

Cheers,

John.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For what it's worth, probably more useful to those who don't have TPMS, I bought one of those cheap ones from ebay and they're actually pretty good. I have a tyre pressure checker thing and I was amazed at how accurate it was.

The display is only a tiny thing (about 3x1 inch including the case) which you can stick in the corner of the windscreen, and it works from solar power so there's no wires. You can charge/power it by USB but I never had to, UK daylight was enough to keep it topped up even though I never turned it off overnight. It shows tyre temperature too and may have saved me once when I took the car in as one tyre was reading about double the temp of the other three. I took it in to a tyre fitter to have it checked and it had a huge bulge in the sidewall on the inside edge (so you would probably not have found it unless it was spotted on a service or MOT), but the tyre had been slipping on the wheel rim which was no doubt where the temperature hike came from. I probably wouldn't have known until the tyre gave up

In the 3 years I had it never had to change the batteries in the tyre sensors. Sure, you have a larger black blob on the end of your tyre valves, but for £20 they're a bargain. I've just bought a new set as the display is starting to fade on the old one, but 3.5 years use for £20 or so is well worth it.

This is the one I've just bought:

Solar Wireless TPMS Car Tire Tyre Pressure Monitor Monitoring System 4 Sensors | eBay

This is a UK seller, you can get them even cheaper if you buy from China or use AliExpress but if you add it to your watch list the seller will probably offer you a discount. I got mine for £19.

One of the more useful gadgets I've bought.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Sorry for the radio silence. Recently back off holiday in the ridiculously beautiful Isle of Wight.

So the TPMS issue is now resolved. I ended up taking it into Jagtech. It turns out in the facelift X250, the TPMS module under the drivers seat is much more robust than the older version, BUT any new TPMS valves need individually coding into the module.

For the full check of the system, coding and TPMS recalibration the bill came to £120 + VAT, which I think it pretty reasonable. They even delivered the car back to my house.

I was really impressed with their service, so have booked it in for them to change the transmission oil and MOT it later this month.

Thanks to @GeoffW and @Phil1 for recommending Jagtech, and especially to @cutlea01 for your infinite generosity of time and knowledge. I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

Cheers,

John.
That really is a damn good price for the work JagTech did, and it's good to hear your TPMS issues are now resolved. I'm not doubting what they said to you, they are professionals, but the TPMS system the Classic and the Facelift XF's use is the same, check the parts manual. Not having used SDD I can't comment on the pre-programming of replacement wheel sensors, but I most definitely have, on quite a few occasions, put new sensors (including 3rd party made) on these cars with no issues.

Weather is looking good for the Sunday steaming too.

·
Registered
23,875 Posts
That really is a damn good price for the work JagTech did, and it's good to hear your TPMS issues are now resolved. I'm not doubting what they said to you, they are professionals, but the TPMS system the Classic and the Facelift XF's use is the same, check the parts manual. Not having used SDD I can't comment on the pre-programming of replacement wheel sensors, but I most definitely have, on quite a few occasions, put new sensors (including 3rd party made) on these cars with no issues.

Weather is looking good for the Sunday steaming too.
This.
The Jaguar TPMS is self learning and needs no programming if the correct wheel sensors are used.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This.
The Jaguar TPMS is self learning and needs no programming if the correct wheel sensors are used.
Even the cheap Chinese ebay ones are self learning and they do have a setting that allows to do it manually if required. Given that, I'm surprised that any reprogramming was needed on a built-in system. Maybe the type that fits inside the tyre are different, I don't know, but to me it seems odd when I can buy a set for £20, put them on the wheels, switch the display unit on and just drive away.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
This is a Jaguar. Simplicity and easy don't go with Jaguar! I'm still mystified why John's car wouldn't learn the new sensors. I checked them with my TPMS scanner and they were working perfectly which is why I condemned the TPMS module. But I'm also baffled why Jagtech say the Facelift has a different TPMS module, which according to Jaguar's parts list is not the case, aside from the very early classic. I've worked with faulty TPMS systems in X250's, changed TPMS sensors and modules and never had a fault like Johns where SDD was needed to fix. Everyday's a school day...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, seems odd that when there are clearly decent quality systems around they go for something more complex than it needs to be.

I've noticed they can be a bit niggly at times. I've still got a Restricted Performance thing that comes on when I boot it - sometimes. It's can be fine for weeks, then it happens again for no apparent reason, or not one that we can find anyway. Other times I get a parking brake fault that clears itself, then reappears every couple of months.

I wouldn't swap it for anything else though.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
You should have tried owning a P38 Range Rover if you thought your XF was a little niggly! I ended up always carrying a dealer level diagnostic system and laptop on every journey as there was no telling when I'd get the beep beep beep warnings of doom! Oh, what now has gone wrong? :ROFLMAO:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts