Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

First post on this Forum. Nice to meet you all.

I'm confused about the cambelt/ timing belt replacement interval, as there is conflicting advice about this, and the car's manual says, well, nothing about when this should be done, surprisingly. I was told by the garage where I bought the car that it should be done at 112,000 miles or 10 years, whichever is sooner. However, having Googled around, I see the cambelt replacement is sometimes recommended at 7 years, and sometimes the mileage allowance is higher. My 2013 XF 2.2D (200PS) now has 142,000 km/ 89,000 miles and is due an annual service. There is no record of a cambelt replacement in the service history. So, 8 years' old and 89,000 miles -- any thoughts? Engine sounds and performs fine, but I know these things sometimes give no warning before failing.

Many thanks

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Hi All

I'm confused about the cambelt/ timing belt replacement interval, as there is conflicting advice about this, and the car's manual says, well, nothing about when this should be done, surprisingly. I was told by the garage where I bought the car that it should be done at 112,000 miles or 10 years, whichever is sooner. However, having Googled around, I see the cambelt replacement is sometimes recommended at 7 years, and sometimes the mileage allowance is higher. My 2013 XF 2.2D (200PS) now has 142,000 km/ 89,000 miles and is due an annual service. There is no record of a cambelt replacement in the service history. So, 8 years' old and 89,000 miles -- any thoughts? Engine sounds and performs fine, but I know these things sometimes give no warning before failing.

Many thanks

Jonathan
I think it's due. Jaguar changed it from 10 years to 7 years, although I can only speak for the 3.0d.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Hi, the recommended replacement was indeed 105,000 miles or ten years when I purchased mine, but Jaguar have since amended this to 7 years. Phil

·
Registered
242 Posts
Had the cambelt on my 3.0D replaced at 110k / 9 years just after I bought it. The cambelt removed looked fine. However, do you want the chance of it failing and the cost of rectifying the engine damage. Also had the fuel belt replaced - due at 160k miles on the basis that I anticipate having the car beyond 160k but not long enough to reach 320k so do not need to worry about it now.

OH had a cambelt on a car before the mileage at which it should be changed. Luckily it was an engine that does not get damaged when it breaks but I do not think that Jag engines fall in to that category.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Correct Paul, Jaguar engines are what are known as interference engines, if the timing belt snaps the valves and pistons will meet! Phil

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
This thread included the 7 year service schedule.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
Hi All

Many thanks

Jonathan
My car is 3.0D S. I had to call JLR CRC at the time. They said 7years or 105K for timing belt and 112k for accessories belt. I did mine at 148k and belt was nowhere close to failure. Not even smallest crack when pinched. My car was 7years old at the time. There is a window on timing belt cover for 3.dD engine that you could use to see it’s condition.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
You'd think they'd just harmonise those mileages. It would make sense in my eyes to change both the cambelt and accessory belt in one visit surely :rolleyes:

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
Of course these are statistical figures and with a lot of safety factor. Belt will last much longer on most engines. It’s funny because you have to remove the accessories belt to do timing belt and accessories belt lasts 7k miles longer.

having said that, my person observation has been that 3.0D is a none interference engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to those who replied. OK, so It's booked in with my local trusted mechanic for belt and water pump replacement and general service. I ordered the kit online for €120. I called my local franchised Jaguar dealer and they quoted me... wait for it... €1,560 to do the belt & pump (not even including the oil & filter change). Given the cost of the parts, plus the fact that labour should be, what, maybe 5 hours tops(?), I thought this was fairly scandalous. Are Jag service departments in the UK engaged in the same rip-off tactics?

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
Are Jag service departments in the UK engaged in the same rip-off tactics?
On the whole, all things considered, probably!

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
I’ve just booked mine in for timing belt, fuel pump belt and minor service at the Indy. Can’t believe I’ve had the Jag this long.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Can I ask what is expected bill for this pleasure?

Wysłane z mojego SM-A526B przy użyciu Tapatalka
I’m expecting about £650 for cam belt and fuel pump change.

I normally provide my own oil and filters for services, so will pay about £60 in labour for the A service.

Mine is a 3.0D.

Edit: £730 quote received. Happy with that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just been quoted £1,200 by Jag Taunton to have my 7 year service which includes the belts. 2014 diesel S with 65,000 miles full Jag history.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
The aux belt is worth changing at Y7 (I don’t think due until Y10). But since it needs to come off anyway for the cam belt change, worth getting it renewed at the same time so you only get charged for the part.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I need the belt changed on my XFS, it's 11 years old, presumably on the original belt, only 60k miles on it though, but due to age is due. Wondering where to get it done, not paying main dealer prices of course.

Edit: My location for those that don't know is Ripley, Derbyshire.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Just been quoted £1,200 by Jag Taunton to have my 7 year service which includes the belts. 2014 diesel S with 65,000 miles full Jag history.
Have you tried Swallows Jaguar up the M5 at Rooksbridge?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts