Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
Don’t remember seeing such mod here with caliper covers but after seeing a few on ebay described as universal that would fit Jaguar I wouldn’t dare fitting them. Quality is questionable and having something stuck on the callipers of a vehicle capable of running at 150mph (250km/h in your case) is too dangerous. As others have advised best bet is painting them in a color of your choice.
It/they would just get 'munched' by the rotating parts, or more likely just get 'spat' out.. the rotating force of a wheel (plus discs and tyres and hubs etc) shod with normal tyres on a normal road surface with an 1800KG car on top is phenomenal.. it/they would have to have absolutely amazing properties to 'influence' what is 'already going on'..

The only possible failure point of any note would be the brake lines, but modern cars are supposed to have dual circuit brakes.. so the loss of braking on just one wheel, whilst not being ideal, would also not be horrendous, apparently...

Try picking up a wheel/tyre/disc/hub/dust shield/bearing/etc combination and then consider the strength of each component that would be needed to make an 1800KG car handle as nimbly as it does...

Now, time for someone to correct me. :)

·
Registered
10,383 Posts

I thought the same Pete, but the reality was very different.

If you recall December 2019 when Mrs S lost a rear brake line on my X250, the entire system failed resulting in no braking performance.
Plus, with no fluid in the system, the car would not start.
I never could work out how the system was supposed to work, at best you would only loose braking on one front wheel from what I recall/from what little I remember.. maybe only certain cars had it?.. maybe I'm recalling something that never actually made it into production.. or more likely, only something Citroen had as a test or did?... 😁

1 - 2 of 2 Posts