Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 2007 plate S-type with the 2.7 V6 diesel engine.
It is low mileage around 60k miles.
What areas should I be looking at, as its a 14 year old car, however, looks in decent condition. I have been advised that early service history is available upto 2014, however, little beyond that date. It is a garage purchase and the motor garage gets good reviews.
Kind regards,
Mike.

·
Administrator
30,009 Posts
Check for corrosion of the sills behind the plastic sill covers. They can rot badly there.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
No service history for the past 7 years? 😱 No evidence of even oil and filter changes? Hmm. It's not as though you can check the oil was recently changed on a diesel either. I believe the 2.7 has a manual dip stick, but the oil will be black within minutes of being changed, as with all diesels. I'd be very cautious. If the garage can give even verbally some history of the car, e.g. they knew the last owner, nice guy, had everything the car ever needed done etc otherwise you have no clue it even had a single oil change in the last 7 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 1 owner car with just under 60k on the clock.
The garage appears to be a very reliable place according to 60+ reviews and the garage owner says it is an excellent car that has had a recent full service including auto box. He said that the car was well looked after by the previous owner and there are no marks or scratches with a good interior, suggesting it has been well looked after. I will take my torch and mirror to give it a good look over and take it for a decent run off.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Administrator
30,009 Posts
Thanks Wilf, would I need to remove the plastic sill covers to determine the rot?
Yes, you would. If you are under the car for that, have a good look at the subframes, too. They will be rusty, but it should be surface rust only.

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
2,021 Posts
2.7D had some known issues which is why there is a 3.0D version. Google the problems you might face. Also check exhausts. I had a petrol 3.0NA and it was great. Apart from body and exhaust rust that I had to fix for an MOT.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Hi, I suggest that you just check it for yourself and if it looks good buy it, my 2.7D has no recordable service history for the last ten years as I have done a service myself every 6,000 miles. They are generally a good reliable motor and if you give it a service yourself just to ensure everything is ok you should have no problems. Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts