Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys after painting my wheels, when putting everything back, one of the wheel nuts doesn't thighten just keeps screwing, i believe the thread is stripped, i can't get it out it just keeps screwing both ways.

Any ideas how to fix this and what's the part number of the studs.
Car is a xf-r 2010 rear wheel.

Is it possible to change the stud only, does the hub have to come off.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
If it's the rear then no, you'll need a new hub and as someone has found out recently they're a bit of a pain to get off.

Are you sure it isn't just the cap on the top that's spinning and the nut itself is still ok? They're renowned for separating.

The hub has to be removed to change the stud as there's not enough room, and taking the hub off usually damages the hub/bearing anyway.

The fronts... I'm not so sure, there might be room behind to knock the old one out and fit a new one. I believe Volvo/ford possibly will supply them, but jaguar won't.

Have a read of this thread....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checked the study is spinning with the nut... I guess i need a new hub.

I have considered spacers, i think i might be able to punch out the stud and use a bolt and a nut, put the nut torwards the hub, i think the nut will be able to get in behind the hub.

I know it's not the best solution but it might hold until i get a news hub.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I think that's a solution, not elegant, but it'll work. Use HT nuts and bolts. If the stud is too long to pass out the back of the hub just cut it, saw or grinder.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'd be checking the rear of the hub to see if the stud has been pushed out some how.

I think it would be a very rare occurance for the stud to be threaded on the HUB end, which would be causing the stud to spin, unless it's actually snapped!

Engineering Composite material Cylinder Auto part Electric blue

Nickel Bicycle part Rim Auto part Aluminium

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the messages, i believe that if it was snapped the nut and the rest of the stud would come off, it's spinning very tighly with the nut.
I think the splines on the hub are done.

Anyway after checking a lot online, i found an eBay seller for the hub, quite expensive and they are after market usually from China, so i got in contact with the Chinese factory that makes that brand. It's so cheap i couldn't believe it, 23 dollars... and if you buy more than 3 it's 15 dollars... These guy really make a lot of profit.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Take it somewhere to get fitted though, it'll be an absolute nightmare to get the old one off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts