Jaguar Forum banner

Brakes and rust

5K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  Pete McK 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Just had to change all 4 discs (& pads, obviously) on my XE. It’s covered 16,000 miles from new in just under 2 years but in the snow in 2016 it was only really driven once or twice a week. There was what I though was surface rust, not uncommon with current brake discs. I thought it would clean up with use...
Pics of the fronts. Rears are worse. At least they’re easy enough to do :)
Pitting on the old discs would likely clean up on a lathe and leave enough material for use.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Rim Wheel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Don’t know what to say. New material for disk last this much?
Ora maybe something wrong with your disk?
Mine on 23k miles in 2 years don’t look like that at all. Xf, we probably have same disks.

#5 ·
That is similar to mine, as noted at Donnington......

Had MOT in November and apparently passed brake test with flying colours - I am due to replace rear pads and did think about re-using disks, just to see if it would clean the surface all over, as the disk thickness is still meaty

Did you change yourself/OEM?

#6 ·
I did hear somewhere that it’s down to not putting chrome in the discs any more. Not sure how true that is, discs didn’t used to go like this.
Bought genuine Jaguar parts and fitted them here, fortunately the caliper rewind tool I use for the Panda fits perfectly. Apart from a 7mm Allen bit and a reasonably large Torx to hold the disc to the hub there’s no special tools needed.

If the discs are the same as mine do you want my old rears to see if you can skim them up?

#8 ·
It wouldn't surprise me that it is some kind of cost-saving measure, as my brakes still feel phenomenal!

There's quite a few other X760/X260 that I know are in the same state...........I have halved my mileage, and this was only noticed after this point

Thanks for offer Pete, but I fancy some MTEC discs - may purchase and skim my old ones

#7 ·
hmmm, I wonder if this is a slider pin issue as it doesn't look like it was square to the disk, what shape are the pads in?

#9 ·
The

The pistons, sliders and pins are as free as a bird. I did glasspaper the discs about a month ago to try and clean them up but I had to chip 1mm of rust from the outer face of those front discs, revealing the pitting which won’t clean up without machining.
It’s just down to lack of use in that winter, believe it or not. I wonder if the discs are made from recycled Morris Marinas :D

#10 ·
Cast iron will only corrode like that if you leave it. If the disc is in constant use, then whatever surface corrosion occurs will be regularly stripped away of course, when braking. For the corrosion to eat that far into the disc it must have been out of use for some time. And once the pits have formed, the corrosion can continue where the brake pads can't reach.

#11 ·
You mentioned 'rewind' tool - I thought there was an electronic procedure for the rears??

#22 ·
Interesting word lol

lariat - Dictionary result for lariat

noun
a rope used as a lasso or for tethering

#23 ·
Hmmmmm, I'm not so sure that the piston is 'wound' back after re-reading my thread.....Michael's quote:

Correct!
Yes it’s only works for X760/X761/X260/L550/L560/L538...

X250 for changing rear pads, the calipers should be screw up

#26 ·
In case anyone was interested, had to change all 4 discs and the pads again today. Genuine parts were fitted last time, now up to 33,000 miles in 4 years.
None of the pads were sticking, all the sliders and calipers are working as per design.
Car does spend 2-3 days in a row out of every 8 stationary, but does do 4 x 50 mile commutes in between.

The Panda has £13 discs on and gets a lot less use, its brakes are still absolutely fine.
These Jaguar ones really are made from recycled Lancia Betas and cheese.

Reactions: PeteA
#27 ·
I would have thought Jaguar has changed the manufacture of these discs now(OEM), but they could be old stock............?

PR3 has done a v low mileage, and this damp winter during 'lockdown 3' had me on tenterhooks, but all is well as only surface rust has appeared!

Sent from BLUE heaven using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Not sure, it might do. The rust seems to pit quite deeply into the discs, which the pads can't clean off.

Wow they look pretty bad! The rears on my XE-S are scored quite badly. The fronts have obvious corrosion on the edges but so far the pads are making good contact.

Think I'll change the discs to Pagid standard discs and redstuff pads when it comes the time to replace.

Any idea on who makes the OEM brake discs and pads?
Not sure, but the rears were made in Italy and the fronts in Germany if the OEM boxes are to be believed.

#33 ·
Wow they look pretty bad! The rears on my XE-S are scored quite badly. The fronts have obvious corrosion on the edges but so far the pads are making good contact.

Think I'll change the discs to Pagid standard discs and redstuff pads when it comes the time to replace.

Any idea on who makes the OEM brake discs and pads?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.