Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the brake pad warning light appears on the info screen generally how long have you got till a replacement is needed. The reason I ask is, say if you're 100 miles away from home would it be ok to drive it back with the warning showing ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
When the brake pad warning light appears on the info screen generally how long have you got till a replacement is needed. The reason I ask is, say if you're 100 miles away from home would it be ok to drive it back with the warning showing ?
Yes no problem

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
18,717 Posts
Hi Nick.

The question has been asked before. The figure of one thousand miles was given, and there would probably be some pad material left after that too.

Better to get them changed as soon as possible though.

You'll also notice a big improvement in braking performance.

·
Administrator
27,853 Posts
I did 1000 miles after the light came on, and there was still pad left. Not a lot mind you.

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My experience is also that there’s still loads of meat left in the pads when the warning comes on.

Mind you though, even if the outer pads look fine the inner ones may be much thinner so don’t rely only on how the outside pads look.

One member some time reported that there was nearly nothing left when his warning came on so there can be exceptions. Then there are exceptions in the other direction too. In my old XFS I once got warnings although all pads were fine. After some investigations by the dealer it turned out that there was an issue with the sensor wiring somewhere deeper inboard.

·
Super Moderator
20,029 Posts
At Sunday Club we have seen the warning go as a result of the lip on the disk but we have also seen it go too late when the pad on the other side is too worn from uneven pressure.

My advice is to swap them out now, better safe than sorry, pads are cheap and its your life they are designed to save.

Look at your disks too as if they have a lip of greater than 0.8mm its time to swap them. All Jag disks are intended to be swapped when they have lost 2mm (1mm/face).

Don’t forget to clean the slide pins too before putting them back in.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I did about 100 miles on the R-S after the light came on. I doubt it would have gone another 50 miles without metal to metal contact, so it's a bit variable. And that was the pad with the sensor!

·
18,717 Posts
At Sunday Club we have seen the warning go as a result of the lip on the disk but we have also seen it go too late when the pad on the other side is too worn from uneven pressure.

My advice is to swap them out now, better safe than sorry, pads are cheap and its your life they are designed to save.

Look at your disks too as if they have a lip of greater than 0.8mm its time to swap them. All Jag disks are intended to be swapped when they have lost 2mm (1mm/face).

Don’t forget to clean the slide pins too before putting them back in.
@Nick G - Also make sure to apply some copper grease to the areas of the calipers where the pad locating lugs are.

If you are doing the pads yourself - there are How To's within the forum.

Tony and Mark (Deggy) have done really good ones for others to use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for tips and advice, but I'm afraid age and health won't allow me to do these jobs myself (as much as I'd like to) so going to let my indy deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
20,029 Posts
Thanks again for tips and advice, but I'm afraid age and health won't allow me to do these jobs myself (as much as I'd like to) so going to let my indy deal with it.
How far away are you from Sunday Club in Stoke? (Covid restrictions permitting)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
My warning came on and the pads had loads of meat on them. I shorted out the wire, it has passed 2 MOTs & had 1 full service since with no warnings - another service end of next week.

·
18,717 Posts
Sorry only just seen this. I'm in Leicester so roughly 60 miles <>.
Mark and Tony are the 'Sunday Club'

There are various threads on this forum about it.

Basically two very helpful guys who go out of their way to help others with their cars.

Tony and Mark may not own JLR products at the moment - but they are very good at what they do.

The also don't cost much - iirc, Tony wants nothing more than a proper pack of hob-nobs :)

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts