Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
18,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have been getting a distinct judder when braking from high speed but nothing at normal, low speed (30 mph) driving. I've asked Sunday Club for a slot to strip, grease and refit the front callipers in the hope it will help. (PM sent).

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a rather nice black XF-S Portfolio

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I assume you've had your wheels removed/re-fitted due to the TPMS issues?

I wonder if the nuts have been over tightened or have various tightness?

·
Registered
18,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you've had your wheels removed/re-fitted due to the TPMS issues?

I wonder if the nuts have been over tightened or have various tightness?
Good thought Carl but this has been happening since before the TPMS saga. (Anyway, I make it a point to stand over the tyre fitter while he's torquing me nuts! 😒 )

·
Registered
346 Posts
The only time I have ever experienced brake judder was when the front discs were warped (not the Jag). It was still present at lower speeds but nowhere near as noticeable.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I had this. Warped disks.

Sent from a shiny phone using Tapatalk. Typos expected...

·
Executive Member
3,188 Posts
Just run a standard cycle to burn pad deposits off the disks and all will be good again.
Find deserted piece of road- 60 to near stop braking firmly, repeat 3 times, never stop, drive a mile to cool them.

Don't sit on brakes at junction to avoid same happening again.

·
Registered
18,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just run a standard cycle to burn pad deposits off the disks and all will be good again.
Find deserted piece of road- 60 to near stop braking firmly, repeat 3 times, never stop, drive a mile to cool them.

Don't sit on brakes at junction to avoid same happening again.
Thanks for the tip Phil. I'll try it. (Always use the EPB when standing still)

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a rather nice black XF-S Portfolio

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
All three of my XF's suffered brake judder, each time the full set of discs and pads was replaced under warranty, then it never returned again

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had it before when I originally bought the car. Had all discs and front callipers replaced under warranty which cured it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,235 Posts
Had this as well on my last car. Sturgess said it was caused by a faulty hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: In spite of the events at Sunday Club this morning, the slide pins were removed, cleaned and replaced. Unfortunately, this has had no beneficial effect on the brake judder.
As mentioned in an earlier post, this isn't noticeable at lower speeds, the brakes are still pulling up squarely and effectively.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S 😎

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
Update: In spite of the events at Sunday Club this morning, the slide pins were removed, cleaned and replaced. Unfortunately, this has had no beneficial effect on the brake judder.
As mentioned in an earlier post, this isn't noticeable at lower speeds, the brakes are still pulling up squarely and effectively.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S ��
Have you performed a run out check with a DTI?

·
Registered
18,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you performed a run out check with a DTI?
Unfortunately I don't own a dial gauge. I might acquire one to check. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
Unfortunately I don't own a dial gauge. I might acquire one to check. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a Black XF-S ��
There is a tolerance for the run out, if you can jack the car up, you should be able to check any run out on the inside face of the disc, with the wheels in place

·
Super Moderator
27,235 Posts
That's the first thing I would have checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
You want to check for a max brake disk axial run out of 0.15mm.....

i'm suffering from brake disk vibrations too. Just had a full 4 wheel alignment and re-balance of the wheels to see if it helps......not had a chance to test them at high stop speeds yet.

Will keep u posted

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Mine had brake judder from 40mph+ when I went for the test drive in it. Wasn't noticeable below those speeds.

Front discs and pads replaced for me to purchase the car. Problem gone.

Agreed with the tips though, hard braking and heating up, followed instantly sitting stationary causes the discs to cool at different rates where the disc is in the open and where it's covered by the pads/calipers.

If you're going to brake hard, then keep moving for a minute or two after even if you're just creeping. It'll help them cool down much more evenly and prevent a lot of problems.

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
Mine had brake judder from 40mph+ when I went for the test drive in it. Wasn't noticeable below those speeds.

Front discs and pads replaced for me to purchase the car. Problem gone.

Agreed with the tips though, hard braking and heating up, followed instantly sitting stationary causes the discs to cool at different rates where the disc is in the open and where it's covered by the pads/calipers.

If you're going to brake hard, then keep moving for a minute or two after even if you're just creeping. It'll help them cool down much more evenly and prevent a lot of problems.
Sorry I run a red light officer, I was looking after my brakes.........lol

·
Registered
18,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This just arrived so it's off with the wheels and check me discs!

uploadfromtaptalk1459941370452.jpg

1 - 20 of 231 Posts