Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. After some info from you XJ owners. How long do your discs and pads tend to last.

I just had the front discs and pads replaced as they were a bit warped. But looking through the old receipts, it seems like they were only replaced about 30,000 miles ago and again 30,000 before that!

I can understand pads lasting this long but surely not the discs. The only thing I can think is like the set I’ve just replaced, they had plenty of meat left on them but were warped?

Is this a common thing with these cars? I can kinda see it I suppose, slowing a big heavy (I appreciate its lightweight for the size, but overall still a heavy car) from motorway speeds is going to generate a lot heat, and not having an automatic handbrake means you’ll sit at the lights with your foot on the brake which could cause some warping. But even still, surely not that quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
30,909 Posts
My own rule of thumb is "two sets of pads = one disc".

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,887 Posts
You can’t warp vented discs….

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can’t warp vented discs….
It may have been high spots then. Either way I got massive judder if using the brakes gently when slowing. And in slow moving traffic with foot just resting on the brake you could physically feel the change in pressure on the pedal.

It may have been down to cheap discs. Borg and becks apparently? According to the receipts anyway. No idea if they’re any good. Replaced with genuine discs now anyway, not sure what brand originals are though. Hopefully they last a little longer

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,887 Posts
Very common do a search on here

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
30k seems reasonable to me. I hate running discs down until they have a deep lip so I tend to swap mine quite early. And I have never yet run a set of pads to the point where the wear sensor triggers.
I generally use Brembo pads and Pagid discs.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rigger

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
It may have been high spots then. Either way I got massive judder if using the brakes gently when slowing. And in slow moving traffic with foot just resting on the brake you could physically feel the change in pressure on the pedal.

It may have been down to cheap discs. Borg and becks apparently? According to the receipts anyway. No idea if they’re any good. Replaced with genuine discs now anyway, not sure what brand originals are though. Hopefully they last a little longer

Not warped discs. Burnt in pad material. You say yourself that you sit with your foot pressed on the brake. If the discs are hot then the pads will burn in. Try and learn to apply the EPB when you can.

·
Administrator
30,909 Posts
Ok - doesn't the EPB apply the rear pads anyway? Or are we assuming that the rears never get hot enough for "pad burn in"?

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
Ok - doesn't the EPB apply the rear pads anyway? Or are we assuming that the rears never get hot enough for "pad burn in"?
Maybe. But I don't believe it's the rear brakes that cause brake judder.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The judder was definitely on the front for me as the steering would wobble quite violently. Although the lower wishbone bushes were gone as well which doesn’t help!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Perhaps the pad transfer depends on the brake pressure when at rest after a reasonably hard stop? Whenever I've braked coming off a slip road, for example, I come to a halt well behind the car in front and ease the brakes to creep forward very slowly then stop with the lightest pressure. I don't ever hold the car with a heavy foot. I don't get judder. Could the heaviness of foot be the difference between those with repeated judder and those without?

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Maybe someone could test this theory, using an infrared thermometer? Jump out the car after several heavy stops and measure the front & rear disc temps, then repeat on a similar car without anti-dive braking? I have a suitable thermometer but not the car now.

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
Maybe someone could test this theory, using an infrared thermometer? Jump out the car after several heavy stops and measure the front & rear disc temps, then repeat on a similar car without anti-dive braking? I have a suitable thermometer but not the car now.
No such system on the F-Pace?

·
21,144 Posts
Never had really bad judder. I did stop sitting on the foot brake at traffic lights etc though, and I think that may have helped a lot.

As for pads and discs - I never compromise, Always go for premium brands - Brembo etc.

Kinda like tyres. If you fit budget pads and you have a near miss, you may end up considering to fit a better pad or disc.

Why compromise your safety?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I get a little judder on the XJ but nowhere near as bad as on my previous XF.

Mine feels like the rears causing the problem as I feel it more through the seat than the steering. They're due to be replaced soon so hopefully it'll cure the problem.

Interestingly there's always less judder when it's raining.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
No such system on the F-Pace?
I've no idea if the F-Pace or the XKR have anti-dive brakes. No point measuring the XKR, it's discs are huge, 380mm at the front, 365 on the rear. And the F-Pace bounces all over the place on it's extended travel suspension in any case, even if it did have anti-dive, plus it's heavier etc than the XF. So I don't think disc temperature readings from either of these cars would be all that relevant?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts