Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

After hijacking another thread, here is my own intro! I've just paid a deposit for an XF 3.0 diesel after being a BMW 530d owner for the last 12 years. Always liked the Beemers but fancied a change. Looking forward to picking it up next Saturday (2nd).

Cheers

Richard

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Hello & welcome

·
18,475 Posts
Welcome Richard,

looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Welcome to the forum Richard. Hope your new cat exceeds your expectations ;)

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Welcome aboard Richard, not too many sleepless nights!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All

Well I've had the Jag now for nearly a week and so far so good, but it isn't as economical as the Beemer. Also I found on another Jag forum about the interior lights and how to get them to come on when the doors are opened. Page 36 of the manual doesn't tell you, you need to keep pressing the middle light until it blinks to change it from manual to auto and vice-versa.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
530d has got 65bhp less, no wonder the consumption is better.
After 13k miles on my XFS the average is 39mpg, which I think is pretty good for a car this size and power. On a long motorway run you can get 48/50 mpg ( if my wife is driving), 43-45 if I am driving.
I thought the interior light setup was standard from factory. good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Hi All

Well I've had the Jag now for nearly a week and so far so good, but it isn't as economical as the Beemer.

Maybe so.. but I'll bet you're 'proud' of it in a way that the beemer could never give you.... :cool:

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
530d has got 65bhp less, no wonder the consumption is better.
After 13k miles on my XFS the average is 39mpg, which I think is pretty good for a car this size and power. On a long motorway run you can get 48/50 mpg ( if my wife is driving), 43-45 if I am driving.
I thought the interior light setup was standard from factory. good to know, thanks.
530d is heavier though ? Interesting that the 530d with less bhp and torque is faster to 60 also . I don't care though really happy with mine and the little darts of acceleration when needed comes on like an avalanche very addictive.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
My BMWs - all e46s spent much of their time in the dealer having rattles and recalls done. Lovely cars though.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
530d is heavier though ? Interesting that the 530d with less bhp and torque is faster to 60 also . I don't care though really happy with mine and the little darts of acceleration when needed comes on like an avalanche very addictive.
True that. It’s because the gearbox (same) has been tuned to perfection by BMW.
On our cars the coverter locks at around 15mph on the 530 at 6mph it’s already locked. Saving fuel as well.
Bmw gearbox feels stronger, Jaguar feels smoother. To give the supposed Jaguar feeling to the box they have lost seconds in acceleration.
What was you bmw average mpg?

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
My average on the xf at the moment is 39.9 mpg although frequently on longer runs 51mpg. Now that I've found the optimal seating position divide those numbers by two :cool:

On the XJ 29.6 mpg and on longer runs maybe 46ish that was with the six speed .

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I do enjoy torque and refinement of this car.
It’s the best part 🙂
I am going to Craigellachie the 18th of this month. Cant wait to drive up there. Average consumption will drop to 20-22 smile per gallon.

·
18,475 Posts
I do enjoy torque and refinement of this car.
It’s the best part ��
I am going to Craigellachie the 18th of this month. Cant wait to drive up there. Average consumption will drop to 20-22 smile per gallon.
Set your cruise to 60mph north of Perth. The A9 is beautiful and frustrating in equal measure. Some drivers like to keep their eyes on the scenery more than the road.
Dufftown is just 5 miles away from 'The Craig' and has 7 distilleries nearby. Rome was built on 7 hills, Dufftown built on 7 stills. Well worth a visit to the likes of Balvenie, Glenfiddich. The cooperage is supposed to be worth a visit too. If you go to the west of Craigellechie, you can also find MacAllan and one of my favourires whisky, Cardhu.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
A9 at 60mph will drive my wife. If she is driving the car will return 55mpg 🙂, 65mpg with my previous 20d.
Going exactly to Macallan distillery. Work trip.

·
18,475 Posts
A9 at 60mph will drive my wife. If she is driving the car will return 55mpg 🙂, 65mpg with my previous 20d.
Going exactly to Macallan distillery. Work trip.
Elgin isn't much further up the main road. Gordon & MacPhail's on South St is well worth a visit for a bottle of whisky.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not the same I know but my S type R was up against an M5 in an edition of Jaguar World mag last year. Same as stated above - Jag is smoother and more refined (though in the case of the S type, the beemer is more modern in looks). I've had jags and beemers - I just prefer jags, less of them and I feel they have a tad more "character"
Welcome

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
True that. It’s because the gearbox (same) has been tuned to perfection by BMW.
On our cars the coverter locks at around 15mph on the 530 at 6mph it’s already locked. Saving fuel as well.
Bmw gearbox feels stronger, Jaguar feels smoother. To give the supposed Jaguar feeling to the box they have lost seconds in acceleration.
What was you bmw average mpg?
It's been a long time since I viewed this site but my 530D was a 2014 model and I managed to get 64mpg to work one day. I live north of Hereford and was working in Tewkesbury so a trip of 53miles each way. This particular day was a Monday in a school half term break and as on all Monday mornings I would reset the trip computer. I was lucky in that I never had to stop at any junction or roundabout and all the traffic lights were in my favour. (this never happened again!!!) and I just drove in old man syndrome!
At best with my Jag, I can only get about 44mpg on a long run (in the olden days before viruses hit the planet) and that is driving at around 75-80 on motorways.
I still like the Jag, but I want something exciting and am on the look out for an XK 5.0 Convertible post 2011 so it has DAB radio so as I can listen to the cricket... if it ever comes back! So the Jag is up for sale, but not advertised yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts