Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend parked her car near to mine the other day and when we were getting in it to go out in it, she put her phone on, and her car Bluetooth tried to pair with my car! I’m new to Bluetooth and only just started using an iPhone, but having looked at google I think I may be open to hacking? Is there any way I can stop it doing this and does this mean car is using power to emit this signal?
Ian

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
Never known a car to pair to another car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Agree with both of the above and would also ponder what kind of 'hacking' of your car would be achievable via Bluetooth?..

Why/how do you think that her car was trying to pair with your car Ian?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Think you would still need a 4 digit code that you input into your car so not totally open.
4 digit code? What’s that? . I don’t put any code in… Bluetooth works fine to my phone. Going to have to have a look at the manual….

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with both of the above and would also ponder what kind of 'hacking' of your car would be achievable via Bluetooth?..

Why/how do you think that her car was trying to pair with your car Ian?
I’m not sure either, but google suggests it’s possible…

Her screen came up with something akin to ‘ searching for Ian’s phone ‘ can’t remember exactly, as I sort of panicked and asked her to switch off.. she is visiting again today, will have a better look…my phone was nowhere near the car, just my car near her car…interestingly it was she that gave me the iPhone I am using Could it be that, recognising the imei or some such? As you can see I have no idea. Will have a look at my manual…

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
The probability of anyone hacking your car via Bluetooth is likely less than absolute zero Ian, so don't panic.. :)

The fact that you're saying her screen came up with "searching for Ian's phone" now puts a completely different view/perspective on it, your car will not identify as 'Ian's phone'..

Have a slower, not panicking look later and let us know 'exactly' what is displayed/said and we will be able to explain better what's actually going on.

Bottom line: your car will not be hacked by her car.. (y)

Reactions: Ianf

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
If that's the answer Malc, I'll laugh my little bits off!!... :D

Reactions: Ianf and ChrisSB

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
…interestingly it was she that gave me the iPhone I am using Could it be that, recognising the imei or some such?
Was the phone brand new or had it been used? Sounds like the phone is already paired with your friend's car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The probability of anyone hacking your car via Bluetooth is likely less than absolute zero Ian, so don't panic.. :)

The fact that you're saying her screen came up with "searching for Ian's phone" now puts a completely different view/perspective on it, your car will not identify as 'Ian's phone'..

Have a slower, not panicking look later and let us know 'exactly' what is displayed/said and we will be able to explain better what's actually going on.

Bottom line: your car will not be hacked by her car.. (y)
Thanks for this, I’ll take a more studied approach tonight when she comes round!

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was the phone brand new or had it been used? Sounds like the phone is already paired with your friend's car.
No, not brand new, she gave it me though and likely was previously paired to her car. Maybe this is answer?

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Is her partner called Ian?
No, lol.
You're not going to get away with it that easily Ian, new Blue Sportbrake XFR-S owner or not..

It might just, very slightly, sound like your friend renamed the phone you now have as 'Ian's Phone' before she gave it to you... ;)

We would now like to hear the rest of the story, please... :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're not going to get away with it that easily Ian, new Blue Sportbrake XFR-S owner or not..

It might just, very slightly, sound like your friend renamed the phone you now have as 'Ian's Phone' before she gave it to you... ;)

We would now like to hear the rest of the story, please... :)
Ok, so, we’ve sussed it. Originally, We were in her car , My phone was indoors and equidistant to my car .I thought I had switched off the blue tooth on the phone , but find that I an supposed to switch off Bluetooth properly through settings rather than the way I was dong it via the swipe up ? thing on the home menu of the iPhone, so I was only disconnecting from the car ( device) not Bluetooth altogether … and my friends car was picking up Ian’s phone. ..if that makes sense. As I said I am new to the iPhone and I came to this answer via my 22yr old step granddaughter…. We tested it tonight and my car isn’t radiating Bluetooth phone details to all and sundry!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts