Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Jaguar XF with 68000 miles. The engine blew (head gasket) and now needs to be replaced. Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,780 Posts
yes

on my Datsun Sunny in 1982.

it's a shitter

Reactions: Gav and hamedhbb

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
5.0 petrol?
3.0 petrol?
It helps to fully explain things.

did the water pump fail?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Head gasket you say?..

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
He says, "needs to be replaced" so it'd be my guess that it's been assessed by a garage.
But I don't know why a blown head gasket would require a new engine. Or does the OP mean it's just the gasket that needs replacing?

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,780 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,780 Posts
He says, "needs to be replaced" so it'd be my guess that it's been assessed by a garage.
But I don't know why a blown head gasket would require a new engine. Or does the OP mean it's just the gasket that needs replacing?
it shouldn't
or didn't when the one on my Datsun Sunny ( similar to the 120Y)failed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
sludge on the inside of the oil filler cap...
I was trying to understand if there was a proper diagnosis done because from his post it’s not clear if head gasket needs to be replaced or engine. Also some or symptoms are common with other issues. A cracked engine block could cause sludge in oil filler cap. A failed fuel filter, cracked engine oil cooler or egr cooler Could cause white smoke or a cracked inter cooler could build up pressure in cooling system.

·
Registered
18,255 Posts
I had a repair shop test it. 0 compression
You might want to give us a bit more information if you're asking for advice.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was trying to understand if there was a proper diagnosis done because from his post it’s not clear if head gasket needs to be replaced or engine. Also some or symptoms are common with other issues. A cracked engine block could cause sludge in oil filler cap. A failed fuel filter, cracked engine oil cooler or egr cooler Could cause white smoke or a cracked inter cooler could build up pressure in cooling system.
an independent repair shop and the Jaguar Dealer service group both told me the engine was shot. Apparently oil anc collentv
You might want to give us a bit more information if you're asking for advice.
I was just wondering if anyone had similar problems with a 2015 XF
Engine coolant low light came on, I refilled it and the car drove another 5 miles before it died. That’s all I know

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Head gasket failure can come in different forms.

Sometimes it can just lead to complete coolant failure (into the cylinders).

Usually it fails and mixes with the oil.

Unless it's overheated and badly damaged the engine through warping etc then it should be a case of repairing the gasket and giving it a really good flush through.

It should also be investigated why it's failed in the first place. This in itself can be due to overheating, water pump failure etc.

I'd suggest pushing them for more information as to why it can't be repaired etc as it will be far cheaper than a replacement engine.

I'm assuming as usual, they're leaning too heavily on the warranty company, which in itself generally leads to much higher prices for all customers.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
an independent repair shop and the Jaguar Dealer service group both told me the engine was shot. Apparently oil anc collentv

I was just wondering if anyone had similar problems with a 2015 XF
Engine coolant low light came on, I refilled it and the car drove another 5 miles before it died. That’s all I know
OK, we can now see that you are in the good ol' US of A.
With a 2015 XF.
Which could be the last of the X250 or the first of the X260.
You need to realise that on a predominately Pommy (English) forum both the X250 and X260 are mainly diesel, and you can't possibly have a diesel XF in the US as they have never been sold there.
So I am guessing you have a V6 petrol supercharged (AJ126).

·
Administrator
27,753 Posts
And head gasket failure is almost unheard of on those engines.

Reactions: hamedhbb

·
Firm Rampant Member
12,780 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Head gasket failure can come in different forms.

Sometimes it can just lead to complete coolant failure (into the cylinders).

Usually it fails and mixes with the oil.

Unless it's overheated and badly damaged the engine through warping etc then it should be a case of repairing the gasket and giving it a really good flush through.

It should also be investigated why it's failed in the first place. This in itself can be due to overheating, water pump failure etc.

I'd suggest pushing them for more information as to why it can't be repaired etc as it will be far cheaper than a replacement engine.

I'm assuming as usual, they're leaning too heavily on the warranty company, which in itself generally leads to much higher prices for all customers.
Thanks for the info phil Zero compression doesn’t mean the block Is warped Correct

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Zero compression just means there's nothing stopping the air inside the cylinders from being compressed. That could be from a few places...

The gasses are leaking around the head mating surfaces and leaking into the coolant channels, most probable scenario if you've had other symptoms such as mixing oil and water.

The valves aren't sealing.

The piston rings aren't sealing.

The only way to tell if the head or block is warped (due to overheating) is to take it off and check them.

Depending on the level of wear and design of the engine, it's usually possibly to have the head skimmed to create a flat surface.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zero compression just means there's nothing stopping the air inside the cylinders from being compressed. That could be from a few places...

The gasses are leaking around the head mating surfaces and leaking into the coolant channels, most probable scenario if you've had other symptoms such as mixing oil and water.

The valves aren't sealing.

The piston rings aren't sealing.

The only way to tell if the head or block is warped (due to overheating) is to take it off and check them.

Depending on the level of wear and design of the engine, it's usually possibly to have the head skimmed to create a flat surface.
Thanks again. It’s an aluminum block and heat could have destroyed it

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
It's unlikely unless it's been severely overheated.

Fairly experienced on this as I used to run Rover K series engines. Another aluminium block and head engine with some weak points causing head gasket failure. They rarely needed scrapping, sometimes head skimming though. Which will depend on the tolerances.

Reactions: Shrek
1 - 20 of 22 Posts