Jaguar Forum banner

Bit of an adventure yesterday!

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  OzXFR 
#1 ·
Just a wee puncture:

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim

Hmm, first time one of my pics has decided to load sideways!

See less See more
#4 ·
Kangaroo? :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

#8 ·
So for those who might be curious, a little more detail:

Yesterday was the exact third anniversary of owning my F-Type.
So I duly renewed the custom plate and rego, that will be $1040 thank you sir, bend over and do you want lube with that?
Seems the car wasn't impressed and decided to give me a present - an almighty blowout of a front tyre while cruising down the freeway at 110 km/h.
Only minor loss of control/steering so no real underpants moment but nowhere to pull off and stop, it was on the part of the freeway where what would normally be an emergency stopping lane is instead a truck lane.
Had to go another km or so before I found an exit ramp where after another km or so I found a spot where I could safely pull over and park, a one lane one way road (which coincidentally led to the old main highway that I used before the freeway was built some 25 years ago). I pulled over and parked on a straight stretch in the half-width emergency lane on the left, about 30 cm away from the crash barrier on the left (you can see it behind the wrecked tyre) as I knew I had to leave just enough room to be able to get the jack under, the wheel off and the space saver on. It was tight and my right side wheels were still partly on the main part of the road. I really had nowhere else to park without going several more kms and who knows what that would have done to the wheel, it was this extra one or two kms of travel which really destroyed the tyre. I was lucky in a way that it was a left side wheel and not a right side otherwise my arse would have been sticking out into the road while I changed the wheel!
I phoned my daughter and arranged for her mother (my ex) to make an emergency trip to my joint (80 km way the other side of town from where I was), collect the space saver spare from my garage and deliver it to me. I removed the spare from the hatch the first day I had the car as it takes up way too much room. Destroyed tyre removed and space saver fitted without any major hassles, inspected the rim and it looks completely undamaged so some good news, these rims cost $2000 each!
Today I rang the tyre shop I bought them from originally just on two years ago, new one ordered and should be fitted by Tuesday arvo, cost $450.
A bit sore now from scrabbling around in the gravel in the small gap between the car and the crash barrier with the crappy OEM scissor jack and also having to remove the 15 mm wheel spacer before the spacer saver could be fitted.

#9 ·
Sounds like a bit of an experience all right! Good to know that there is no real harm done to either you or the car. Well done in handling what was clearly quite a tricky situation.

#10 ·
I suppose you could argue that is one advantage of low profile tyres - not a helluva lot of difference handling and steering wise between fully inflated and dead flat/destroyed/ripped in half!

#13 ·
Good heavens Kim!!

That makes my recent tyre saga's look very tame.

I am absolutely astonished that it suffered no rim damage given how far you had to drive on it!!! :eek:

More to the point.. glad it caused you no damage!!

#18 ·
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

#16 ·
On our motorways we have signs that are used to lower the speed limit on motorways when a car has broken down & there are pedestrians on the carriageway or shoulder. Typically the temporary speed is applied over the 25 miles leading up to the incident & 10 miles beyond it....in both directions!:rolleyes: Needless to say, these warning are mainly ignored because the chance of ever seeing the incident is very remote.

#20 ·
Thanks wilf.
I wouldn't call it "uneventful" as it wasn't a lot of fun scrabbling around in the gravel squeezed between the car and the crash barrier, and I'm paying for it today with a nice collection of bruises, aches and pains!
But on the bright side no harm to anyone else and no significant damage to the car.

#21 ·
A little update.
I got the new tyre fitted some three days later, but then about two weeks after that when I was filling up with petrol another punter told me that I had a flat tyre (no TPMS on my car). Of course it was the brand new tyre! Not completely flat but quite a bit down.
Took it back to the same tyre shop who leak tested it and found it was leaking air from around the inner rim.
They whipped the tyre off and it became apparent that they hadn't removed all the detritus from the blow out and there were still some tiny bits of vulcanised rubber preventing the new tyre from sealing fully. The ruined tyre after the blowout got so hot as a result of having to drive on another 3 or 4 km that it melted and fused the remains of the inner edges to the wheel.
Wheel rim edges cleaned up, tyre refitted and leak tested again, all good to go.
Well so I thought - just as I was about to get in the car I spotted some bubbles on the edge of the wheel, this time on the outer rim.
Lucky I spotted them!
Whip the wheel off again, test it properly this time (with me standing over the tyre fitter while he dunked it in the big tub), yep, leaking from the outer rim this time. Whip the tyre off again, clean up the wheel rim edges again, stick the tyre back on, then thoroughly test in the tub again.
No more leaks, good to go, no charge.
Well that was about two months ago now, but two days ago I checked my tyre pressures and of course the new tyre was down at 25 PSI (should be 34 PSI).
In hindsight it was probably caused by rubbing/squeezing that particular tyre against a curb three days earlier (reversing around a curved cul-de-sac)
I pumped the tyre back up to 34 PSI and kept an eye on it, lo and behold this morning it was down to 25 PSI again! Pumped it back up to 34 PSI and headed back to the tyre shop yet again (only 2 km down the road).
Same old rigmarole as before, two tiny leaks discovered on the inner rim, rinse and repeat, this time I was assured it is now fixed.
Methinks I might look for another tyre shop in future although there are none anywhere near as close and convenient as the one I have been using.

#22 ·
Bugger!

Not good when you don't get the service you are paying for.

Hopefully this will be the end of it Kim, and you can get back to enjoying the F-Type in the sun! :)

#23 ·
At least I was lucky in one regard - I detected the flat tyre either a few miles from my joint or in my garage rather than hundreds of miles away out in the Donga.
Yep, plenty of sunny driving today, at least four trips planned and the forecast is for 38 C (a bee's wotsit over the old ton).
The Adelaide summer is a bit of a problem regards the panoramic roof, it's just too hot bright and glary with it open.
If I forget to close the cover I get sunburnt on a longer drive!

#24 ·
Do you think that maybe the detritus left behind after the blowout has stretched the bead of the new tyre and perhaps it will never now seal properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I suppose that is possible, just have to wait and see.

#26 ·
Very tardy update.
That damn left front tyre kept on slowly losing air, about 2 PSI per week.
I gave up on taking it back to the tyre shop for the umpteenth time, instead I just pumped it up again once a week and I left my 240 volt inflator permanently connected in the garage ready to go.
Then about six months ago I had a different wheel problem (an elusive rattle I could not find) so I took the car back to the tyre shop to see if they could find it (they didn't but eventually I did and fixed it). While I was there I asked them to check and attempt to fix the slow leak one last time, and THIS time they nailed it and it has been perfect ever since. The difference was they properly cleaned and resurfaced the inner edge of the wheel rim, where the tyre bead seals, with a wire wheel on a drill, then used copious amounts of sealant when refitting the tyre.
Gotta give the tyre shop some credit though, they never once charged me for all the attempts to fix the slow leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.