Jaguar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Maybe the contributor (dubious?) has data that shows more over 80 year olds knock more cyclists off their bikes than any other demographic. Anyway in keeping with the forum policy the weather is very sunny today. Phil
I presume that the epithet "dubious?" was directed towards me rather than FCS. Would you like to give an indication as to how you should be labelled?
That picture on the left is the broken frame after an over 80 year old turned in front of me. I'll spare you the pictures of the injuries caused. Here is a figure from an EU report "Older Drivers 2018" illustrating the problem of older drivers.
Rectangle Product Font Line Parallel

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,269 Posts
I presume that the epithet "dubious?" was directed towards me rather than FCS. Would you like to give an indication as to how you should be labelled?
That picture on the left is the broken frame after an over 80 year old turned in front of me. I'll spare you the pictures of the injuries caused. Here is a figure from an EU report "Older Drivers 2018" illustrating the problem of older drivers.
View attachment 193129
Without being ageist nor sexist...but I bet it was an silly old woman.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
View attachment 193129
I do fully understand your position. I think the same . But as I am now 73. I think differently to as I did when I was 20, when I had a 3.8 E-Type.
But I Shoot as a hobby, I find classing me with the people who kill people with guns very repulsive, many at our gun club are over 65. We have many young people, male and female who enjoy the sport. Us older members give them lots of acquired knowledge. We get on very well with all age groups, but we have very strict discipline. This discipline solves most potential issues,( we don't get gun rage) if we had the same as road rage we would be banned over night.
My point is people are people whatever age, some good some bad, some clever some not so clever, but picking on age is not really relevant as you will find if you are lucky enough to get older.

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,269 Posts
I do fully understand your position. I think the same . But as I am now 73. I think differently to as I did when I was 20, when I had a 3.8 E-Type.
But I Shoot as a hobby, I find classing me with the people who kill people with guns very repulsive, many at our gun club are over 65. We have many young people, male and female who enjoy the sport. Us older members give them lots of acquired knowledge. We get on very well with all age groups, but we have very strict discipline. This discipline solves most potential issues,( we don't get gun rage) if we had the same as road rage we would be banned over night.
My point is people are people whatever age, some good some bad, some clever some not so clever, but picking on age is not really relevant as you will find if you are lucky enough to get older.
The stats don't lie but only tell half the tale.... for instance it's data from the Netherlands...who inhabitants are notoriously poor drivers....especially the more aged.
The FiL is 81.
Physically goosed but keeps going.
Mentally he's very sharp and his glasses aided vision is bang on..as is his driving.
Sure he doesn't loon about nor does he do 20mph in a 30, 40, 70 posted limit.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
View attachment 193129
Dubious was directed to your irrelevant post on the subject of law breaking cyclists. As to label you can call me whatever you wish, I doubt it would be anything I haven't been called before. The graph you posted does not reflect the figures for the UK, so one 80 year old driver hit you, do you have any figures for cyclists hit by the 17 to 30 year old drivers, I don't but it would be interesting to see. I am 74 and pay a yearly premium of £238 fully comp, I suspect a 20 year old would be considerably higher for the same car, I think that says it all about the risk posed by older drivers. Phil

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
View attachment 193129
I do think it’s a bit rich grouping all older drivers into 75+ when the other demographics are grouped into 5 year max.

That’s a potential spread of 25 years assuming the oldest driver could be 100

It doesn’t provide a clear breakdown so it’s impossible to tell if it’s the septuagenarians, octogenarians or the nonagenarians that are worse.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
This thread is about law breaking motorists, i.e. those who drive past cyclists too close.
For gods sake you replied to my post about law breaking cyclists with a comment about 80 year olds retaking the driving test, please read your own posts before making inane remarks. I am giving up on this "conversation" as it's getting silly, so reply if you wish but I am keeping any further comments to myself. Phil

·
Administrator
31,055 Posts
Never mind oldies in cars or on bikes - ban them from mobility scooters! They are bloody lethal!

Reactions: FCS and PeteA

·
Super Moderator
32,119 Posts
Never mind oldies in cars or on bikes - ban them from mobility scooters! They are bloody lethal!
Yep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: PeteA and Statler

·
Registered
XF R-sport 2017MY 2.0d with winter pack.
68 Posts
My next door neighbor got fined £100 plus 3 points for passing a cyclist too close. He showed me the video from the cyclists helmet cam via the police. I thought he was 1.5 meters from the pratt who was going from side to side on the road as he was peddling up a hill near a brow of the hill. It may be wise to hold on the horn when passing one, to let them know you are about to pass them so they do not waggle about on the road.Best to look for the helmet cam before you overtake as I am sure he was set up.
Cyclists seem to be the worst road users. They are unaware of any other road users. They do not look round or make any sort of signal when turning or manouvering. They don’t pay any tax for using the public highway. They pull out in front of other vehicles without looking and also weave in and out of traffic.
I had an encounter with a man on a bike when driving my previous vehicle…as I approached the rider he was weaving all over the road and was obviously drinking from what I presumed was an alcoholic drink can….to make him aware of my approach I tooted my horn (what the horn is for). As I passed him, trying to give home a wide birth, he threw the half-full can of beer at my car!!!! Luckily I think that it hit my side window and did no damage. He then began to try to chase me down the road, not sure what his intention was!
Although an isolated incident, most cyclists seem almost as bad!

·
Administrator
29,404 Posts
Ban Lycra & helmet cams & reduce the problem by 80%.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Definitely seem to be two different sects of riders. There's the professional power ranger types with the best racing bikes ect. Mostly follow the rules of the road but often ride two abreast and causes an inconvenience to everyone else.

Then there's the ones who have a knackered old bike that they use to get to work and back on, no lights, continually on and off the pavement, through red lights and across traffic islands ect.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
I'm no fan of cyclists but do recognise that there are going to be good and bad riders just as there are good and bad drivers. And quite frankly, on balance, if I had the choice of which to get off the road it would be the bad drivers who far, far out-number the pedal-pushing lycra brigade.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,039 Posts
I problem as I see it is, there is proportionately far more bad cyclists who have no regard for laws or other road users.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts