Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,082 Posts
So 1.5 m means you give him a glancing blow to the head, rather than something more. Why don’t they go the whole hog & just say we’re never allowed to overtake!

·
Registered
48 Posts
So 1.5 m means you give him a glancing blow to the head, rather than something more. Why don’t they go the whole hog & just say we’re never allowed to overtake!
At 1.5m away you will be further away than most drivers care to pass and might even get a thank you from the cyclist. You would from me. No need to go whole hog and never overtake, just wait for a gap and pass on by. Just like you would if it were a scooter or road sweeper. All common sense and safe behavior

·
Registered
48 Posts
I encountered a lycra-clad brigade the other day, on country roads, about 11 or 13 of them. In a main bunch, some riding 2 abreast, with 2 stragglers at the rear, some 20 metres or so apart from each other and from the main pack. After following them for some 1/2 a mile or so, as they started to go up hill and slowed, the rearmost straggler waved me past. On a hill. The second straggler in front of him was also waving me past. I didn't want to overtake either then be in amongst the pack, so I continued, against my better judgement to overtake the lot. Up hill, with a blind summit. Thin country lane. Of course, before I could get past all of them, I encountered an oncoming car. Now I'm completely filling her lane as I'm giving the cyclists, some 2 abreast, the required distance. She continued to approach me, at speed, so frantic flashing from me, she finally pulled over as much as she could, the cyclists on my left continued up hill, closing the gap even more, I had no choice but to cut sharply left past them, and just missing her. I was totally in the wrong, I should not have overtaken, but for the action of the cyclists not allowing waiting traffic to pass them, they did not move to single file, there was no communication from the stragglers to the rest of the pack that they had "advised" a car to overtake. The cyclists 2 abreast mae no attempt to go to single file. The lead cyclists, if they have video footage would have enough evidence for me to receive points and a fine for a dangerous overtake, which I will have to accept.
I don't think you did much wrong here. You tried to be courteous. Some of them tried. It didn't work out. No one did anything malicious. I'm hearing a lot of "lycra clad brigade" as some kind of negative thing. Well, lycra is quite a sensible cycling material Just as it is for swimming and we don't have a go at that lycra clad swimming brigade blocking lanes. Perhaps we should as it's always someone in lycra hogging the fast lane at my pool. mmm. Anyway my point is aerodynamic clothing helps you cycle faster and delay the motorists behind to a lesser extent so perhaps it should be encouraged rather than mocked? :)

·
Administrator
31,055 Posts
Actually my wife (a reasonably fast swimmer who will do 2 -3K in a session) would have quite a lot to say about lycra clad blokes blocking her lanes.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I must say, if I wore Lycra, I wouldn’t be bay more aerodynamic on a bike than I would be in a ‘leisure suit’

I do think that as part of the driving test, the candidate should be made to ride a bike and have someone overtake them at various speeds from 30mph to 60mph.
Then they should be made to stand at the edge of a country road and do the same.

From a pedestrian’s point of view, having a car pass your elbow at 30mph is a pretty terrifying experience.

Putting a bit of perspective into a young or inexperienced drivers head like that is a much better way to teach the rules than massive fines.

Reactions: idrobbo

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I must say, if I wore Lycra, I wouldn’t be bay more aerodynamic on a bike than I would be in a ‘leisure suit’

I do think that as part of the driving test, the candidate should be made to ride a bike and have someone overtake them at various speeds from 30mph to 60mph.
Then they should be made to stand at the edge of a country road and do the same.

From a pedestrian’s point of view, having a car pass your elbow at 30mph is a pretty terrifying experience.

Putting a bit of perspective into a young or inexperienced drivers head like that is a much better way to teach the rules than massive fines.
Actually Steve that is a good point, 1.5 meters is far too close for a car travelling at 50mph let alone 60mph. We once pulled in to a lay-by with the caravan to have a cup of tea, it was scary getting out and walking around the caravan even to just check the tyres were not hot.
This is why I don't think cycles should be allowed on roads with 50 mph speed limits if there is no cycle lane. Cycles should have designated areas, which can be built away from roads, an alternative to main roads arriving to the same destination, like they do in a lot of areas in York. Many roads could have speed limits reduced where the above is not possible, to allow cyclists to get from A to B without mixing with high speed cars and trucks.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
And I think all cyclists should have to take a mandatory proficiency test before being allowed on the road, maybe it would teach them about traffic lights, undertaking and how to correctly mow pedestrians down on the pavement. Phil

Reactions: FCS

·
Administrator
31,055 Posts
I did my cycling proficiency test, then my motorbike ditto, then my car test.

I still won't ride a bike on the roads. Or at all, tbh.

Reactions: FCS and Statler

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I did my motorcycle DA test in my early twenties and after this when driving in a car it certainly made me far more aware of motorbikes, their capabilities and their vulnerability.

Maybe not practical for motorcycles, but perhaps not such a bad idea that there's a mandatory cycling proficiency course/test to precede a driving test?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've always given cycles (and pedestrians and horses) a wide berth and slowed when passing, and I don't blame them riding 2 abreast for safety. However, It's infuriating when I eventually overtake a bike, for it to squeeze up the inside of me whilst I'm sat at a junction!
A few weeks ago, a bike came past on the right hand side of me as a approached a roundabout where we both turned right. If I'd have clipped him, I'm sure I would have got the blame, but I think he was at fault and should have waited behind me.
Another frustration is when I walk my wife to or from work with the dog and someone on a bike rides past at speed, on the pavement, inches away. A few people 'ting their bell to warn us. Why can't everyone do this?
I recently read that some cyclists were being fined for jumping red lights and other Highway code infringements, something else to take up police time, but hopefully it will set a precedence and more cyclists will abide by the rules.

In all, I think it's the minority of cyclists and car divers that cause issues, however, we all need to be extra cautious!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I did my motorcycle DA test in my early twenties and after this when driving in a car it certainly made me far more aware of motorbikes, their capabilities and their vulnerability.

Maybe not practical for motorcycles, but perhaps not such a bad idea that there's a mandatory cycling proficiency course/test to precede a driving test?
What about the cyclists that don't drive a car or have no intention of doing so, do they not need a proficiency test as well? Phil

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
We also have a problem with horses. If a dog messes the path they have to pick it up or get fined. Horses seem to love to poo outside our house. The 30 something women who ride their horse called multiple orgasm and let it poo in front of our house, do not have to clean it up. Me not being very politically correct have been known to shout, for heavens sake get a vibrator. That usually don't go down well, but neither does the horse shit.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,039 Posts
Apparently a horse can shit in the road but not on a public pathway. Tell that to the riders who have not cleaned up bringing their horse into our housing estate! Who the f#ck brings a horse along a footpath in the middle of a new housing estate?

Reactions: PeteA

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,269 Posts
Apparently a horse can shit in the road but not on a public pathway. Tell that to the riders who have not cleaned up bringing their horse into our housing estate! Who the f#ck brings a horse along a footpath in the middle of a new housing estate?
That silly bint on the Lloyd's advert?

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,269 Posts
We also have a problem with horses. If a dog messes the path they have to pick it up or get fined. Horses seem to love to poo outside our house. The 30 something women who ride their horse called multiple orgasm and let it poo in front of our house, do not have to clean it up. Me not being very politically correct have been known to shout, for heavens sake get a vibrator. That usually don't go down well, but neither does the horse shit.
Wouldn't going down in the proximity of a vibrator be a bit denture rattling?

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I thought people ran out with shovels for the horse shit, to put on their gardens. Maybe that was then, not now.

Reactions: Ianboom

·
Administrator
31,055 Posts
Horse manure needs to be very well rotted before you use it as a fertiliser.

Reactions: MyIRRCat
41 - 60 of 118 Posts