Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor got fined £100 plus 3 points for passing a cyclist too close. He showed me the video from the cyclists helmet cam via the police. I thought he was 1.5 meters from the pratt who was going from side to side on the road as he was peddling up a hill near a brow of the hill. It may be wise to hold on the horn when passing one, to let them know you are about to pass them so they do not waggle about on the road.Best to look for the helmet cam before you overtake as I am sure he was set up.

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,270 Posts
My next door neighbor got fined £100 plus 3 points for passing a cyclist too close. He showed me the video from the cyclists helmet cam via the police. I thought he was 1.5 meters from the pratt who was going from side to side on the road as he was peddling up a hill near a brow of the hill. It may be wise to hold on the horn when passing one, to let them know you are about to pass them so they do not waggle about on the road.Best to look for the helmet cam before you overtake as I am sure he was set up.
Even more of a reason to have a dash cam, front and rear.

·
Registered
23,628 Posts
What annoys me is this: a cyclist coming towards me and a car. Rather than slow down and wait to pass the cyclist, the opposing car pulls out and is now on my side of the road, clearly expecting me to slow and make room. I don't and so the driver of the car now has a choice - move over to allow my right of way and in doing so impinge on the cyclists space or brake and pull back in behind the cyclist and wait for me to pass. Grrrrrrrr!

Reactions: FCS

·
Administrator
29,405 Posts
This new law has given cyclists carte blanch to go out & hunt motorists.

The 1.5m law should apply equally to cyclists which would force them to wait in a queue of traffic rather than riding up the inside & weaving in & out.

·
Firm Rampant Member
21,270 Posts

The 1.5m law should apply equally to cyclists which would force them to wait in a queue of traffic rather than riding up the inside & weaving in & out.
A fun game in an EV is to drive right up their arsenal and then sound your horn.

• Haha
Reactions: Alfie and FCS

·
Registered
10,307 Posts

Mandatory registration for road cyclists with a £1000 fine for those that try to make a claim and aren’t.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Given they're allowed to also ride side by side, it could make a rather infuriating situation if you've got to also leave 1.5m to the offside of the furthest out rider. You could potentially end up having to wait for a fair while, or if there are double white lines, your knackered till they're gone.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Of course it will have the full support of the government as it's a licence to print money via the headcams of a select few cyclists who have taken it upon themselves to be the enforcers.

I do feel sorry for the police and the courts who are probably begrudgingly having to enforce this.

·
Registered
23,628 Posts
Given they're allowed to also ride side by side, it could make a rather infuriating situation if you've got to also leave 1.5m to the offside of the furthest out rider. You could potentially end up having to wait for a fair while, or if there are double white lines, your knackered till they're gone.
You can cross a double white line under various circumstances, one of which is to overtake a pedal cyclist if it is travelling at 10mph or less.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
You can cross a double white line under various circumstances, one of which is to overtake a pedal cyclist if it is travelling at 10mph or less.
Given the number of electric bikes now, you rarely see them going under that. Those scrawny power ranger types on the racing bikes are almost always just at the right speed to annoy you that they're going too slowly, yet too fast to get a decent overtaking opportunity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand the reasons for it, but this is just yet another reason for the 2 wheel brigade to get on yet another bandwagon... and just to be clear, I am not a conceited motorist, I spent a lot of time on a bike before I got divorced (then had money spare after that!) and I would agree with everything around said cyclists riding in a straight line, within the rules of the road and also to be courteous to other road users... Sadly, the majority where I live are far from it...I encountered a herd of lycra clad idiots (counted 17 in total) on a single lane, traffic light controlled bridge in Tewkesbury last week, with my side on green... Needless to say, the helmet mounted Go Pro's were working overtime with many a fluid swear word exchanges...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Isnt there still Article or Clause 16 or whatever it is that they must ride single file if there is traffic about? Or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Isnt there still Article or Clause 16 or whatever it is that they must ride single file if there is traffic about? Or am I mistaken?
Be careful Alex, they'll be out now in three abreast packs hunting you down for bringing that up!...

• Haha
Reactions: Alfie

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
How do you actually prove +/- 1.5m from footage without it essentially being a guess? Taking into account how misleading distances can be due to various dashcam fov, then surely it becomes rather subjective and I'm guessing "without reasonable doubt" can be abused?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I guess if you know the fov of the camera and the separation of two pojnts on the car in an image, you can use trigonometry to calculate the distance to the car from the camera.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm a member of several car forums and several cycling forums. The views are often highly polarised on each side of the argument. I regularly see evidence of poor conduct by cyclists and also by drivers. As our roads have become more crowded, there also seems less 'give and take' on either side and in some cases, a strong sense of entitlement.

Only recently I was out in the car and passed three groups of cyclists on a country road. They were obviously on an organised run, but were following CTC (or Cycling UK) guidance to ride in small groups (of no more than 5) in single file and remain separated by a least 50 meters between groups to allow space for cars to overtake.

On the same day, I came up behind a large group of 'roadies' who were using the whole width of a small country road and stayed there for at least 1 mile whilst climbing a hill at about 10 mph. They eventually moved into single file and allowed me to pass. I don't understand this mentality as surely all of them will be drivers too?

As I'm sure many on here will accept, there is also some pretty horrendous behaviour by drivers too.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I'm a member of several car forums and several cycling forums. The views are often highly polarised on each side of the argument. I regularly see evidence of poor conduct by cyclists and also by drivers. As our roads have become more crowded, there also seems less 'give and take' on either side and in some cases, a strong sense of entitlement.

Only recently I was out in the car and passed three groups of cyclists on a country road. They were obviously on an organised run, but were following CTC (or Cycling UK) guidance to ride in small groups (of no more than 5) in single file and remain separated by a least 50 meters between groups to allow space for cars to overtake.

On the same day, I came up behind a large group of 'roadies' who were using the whole width of a small country road and stayed there for at least 1 mile whilst climbing a hill at about 10 mph. They eventually moved into single file and allowed me to pass. I don't understand this mentality as surely all of them will be drivers too?

As I'm sure many on here will accept, there is also some pretty horrendous behaviour by drivers too.
That's the issue most of the time, they MUST know that there's cars waiting behind them wanting to get past, instead of doing the decent thing and just keeping well in and letting cars pass, they often stay two abreast presumably either out of a sense of entitlement, or simply to wind up the drivers of the cars, there is absolutely no other reason you'd do it.

The only other time that cyclists really upset me is when they ride through red lights. Once they do that, then to me it's fair game what you do as they are obviously disregarding the law entirely themselves. The police will often want at least 10 minutes footage either side of an accident to check there are no other incidents that might preclude the incident that has caused them to complain about in the first place.

So it's fairly simple, don't ride through red lights, and please stay in single file, we'll get around you when we can but don't hog the entire road doing 10-15mph.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts