Jaguar Forum banner

721 - 740 of 748 Posts

·
18,268 Posts
Isn't it SMCD

Obviously a special big mac?
It is - good spot. Didn't see that initially on the phone.

Might be initials then - or Single McDonalds

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just typed SMCD into an acronym finder website, and one of the results was “Senile Macular and Choroidal Degeneration”, so it obviously belongs to some old duffer with poor eyesight (probably stopping for a break on his way to Barnard Castle)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,551 Posts
:)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I really never got the point of sticking additional letters and badges onto the car, especially random stuff like this which doesn’t even make it look like a better model. An ex-colleague of mine wrote her (luckily short) last name with such stick on chrome letters on the boot of her BMW which was a bit tongue in cheek though. :)

Really seems like the smaller engined cars are the worst offenders and funny how we never see any badge pimped R or R-S cars.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I dont like much badging full stop, one of the first things I did with mine was remove the XF and the R badges!

Subtlety I find is nicer, unless there is a contrast to be had or to break up large space

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Funny thing is, anyone who cares enough about your car having an R badge is probably savvy enough to tell when it’s also not meant to have an R badge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I dont like much badging full stop, one of the first things I did with mine was remove the XF and the R badges!

Subtlety I find is nicer, unless there is a contrast to be had or to break up large space
Word! Same thing here - the first mod on both my XFs was to bin the stuck on lettering. Fortunately they both only had the XF letters. Don’t know about the X260 but as far as I know you couldn’t get the X250 debadged from factory.

IMHO the only thing that belongs on the back of a modern Jag is a leaper.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I like the embossed part on the chrome and the leaper, they've stayed. Did debate removing the leaper too to be honest!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Same here, less is better for me. I prefer the sleeper.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I like the embossed part on the chrome and the leaper, they've stayed. Did debate removing the leaper too to be honest!
I liked the embossed lettering on the pre facelift too and there’s of course not much you can do with it. Given that, the leaper may be a bit superfluous on the pre facelift.

On the facelift there’s no lettering on the silver strip so just a leaper is perfect.

·
Registered
215 Posts
mine were all removed on my previous jag even the leaper but the jaguar lettering was fret cut which was then connected to the brake light just wish I could upload the photos as it looked really good at night

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I debadged the rear of the F-Type and I would really really like to have removed the leaper as well but I couldn't.
Coz in their infinite wisdom some bunch of genii at JLR decided to mount it not with the usual perfectly good badge mounting adhesive, no siree, but by drilling two bloody great holes in the spoiler lid and having prongs on the back of the leaper going into those holes. I can only guess they decided that the muppets at the factory couldn't stick the leaper on at the right angle without mounting prongs and holes to guide them. Plus, for added insult, they put an extra dent (not hole) in the spoiler underneath the leaper which serves zero purpose as far as I can tell.
When I removed the "JAGUAR" lettering under the leaper it just didn't look right, with the leaper sitting a fair bit high of centre on the spoiler lid. So a few months later I killed two birds with one stone - I removed the leaper, cut the mounting prongs off the back (it is soft ABS plastic), painted it black (to match all the other black pack trim) and refitted it a bit lower. However due to those pesky mounting holes I still couldn't get it dead centre, I could only drop it about 2 cm and still cover the holes. Funny thing is it was a fairly simple job to mark the correct placement and angle (with a felt tip pen) and glue it on with black RTV silicone adhesive, and it hasn't budged a micron since.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I debadged the rear of the F-Type and I would really really like to have removed the leaper as well but I couldn't.
Coz in their infinite wisdom some bunch of genii at JLR decided to mount it not with the usual perfectly good badge mounting adhesive, no siree, but by drilling two bloody great holes in the spoiler lid and having prongs on the back of the leaper going into those holes. I can only guess they decided that the muppets at the factory couldn't stick the leaper on at the right angle without mounting prongs and holes to guide them. Plus, for added insult, they put an extra dent (not hole) in the spoiler underneath the leaper which serves zero purpose as far as I can tell.
When I removed the "JAGUAR" lettering under the leaper it just didn't look right, with the leaper sitting a fair bit high of centre on the spoiler lid. So a few months later I killed two birds with one stone - I removed the leaper, cut the mounting prongs off the back (it is soft ABS plastic), painted it black (to match all the other black pack trim) and refitted it a bit lower. However due to those pesky mounting holes I still couldn't get it dead centre, I could only drop it about 2 cm and still cover the holes. Funny thing is it was a fairly simple job to mark the correct placement and angle (with a felt tip pen) and glue it on with black RTV silicone adhesive, and it hasn't budged a micron since.
Good to know if I get an F-type because I'm sure I'd attack those badges as soon as the car was parked up in my garage for the first time. :)

Reactions: OzXFR

·
Registered
17,818 Posts
"One man's meat . . . . " etc. Because if I see a de-badged car my immediate thought is that it's an attempt to disguise a poverty-spec, entry level model.
I do understand the thought behind removing the JAGUAR lettering. But not the leaper for goodness sake! That is the Jaguar "marque", surely?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I guess better to de-badge a "poverty spec" car than to over badge one with an R or S badge!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #737
XJ S anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Super, maybe?...

They also look like knock off versions rather than genuine ones don't they?..

·
Super Moderator
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #739
It’s an R-Sport. Badge on the power vent :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

721 - 740 of 748 Posts