Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always found it strange how the armrest closes violently in the car, thought there would be a soft close for it.

Is it normal? Or perhaps the hinge pin is worn, it is a cheap part so if it is supposed to be a soft close I will look to replace it...

·
Super Moderator
27,104 Posts
Yeah no soft close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Booo, wonder how hard it would be to add a spring to the mechanism for resistance...

Cheers for the speedy answer though Chris 👍

·
Registered
18,256 Posts
The centre cubby/armrest on the XJ isn't what you'd call soft close. But it is sprung to prevent it slamming shut.

·
Super Moderator
27,104 Posts
Mine slams as well. Doesn’t seem normal to me. My old s-type wasn’t like this.
All three of my XFs (including the two brand new ones) all closed the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The centre cubby/armrest on the XJ isn't what you'd call soft close. But it is sprung to prevent it slamming shut.
Yeah, that would be better than what the XF version does, may have a look to see what can be done

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Yep, mine slams shut without any resistance. Maybe someone can incorporate a soft close mechanism like on a soft close drawer with a little gas strut. Used them on my wardrobe when I built it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
When I checked mine, I noticed that it’s actually the latch that makes a bad noise and make it feel that the armrest slams. You you can cover the hole with a cloth and see it doesn’t sound abnormal anymore.
So the easiest solution seems to be just to remove the latch or cover any contact points with some kind of rubber.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Would some sticky backed draught excluder foam strips work? Could run it under the actual lid so it's unseen and not in the way when putting things in the cubby hole.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I haven’t gone furthur to see if it’s the latch spring mechanism or it hitting the lower part but I had something like that in mind.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does come down excessively quickly though, under its own weight, most I've used are sprung for resistance.

Perhaps softening the impact at point contact would mitigate the noise and subsequent feeling of damage though

Something I'll have to look into

·
Registered
590 Posts
It does come down excessively quickly though, under its own weight, most I've used are sprung for resistance.

Perhaps softening the impact at point contact would mitigate the noise and subsequent feeling of damage though

Something I'll have to look into
There are two rubber cushions to prevent that noise. The bad noise seems to come from release button hitting the housing. To test I pushed a paper into that gap and the noise sounds better. Later I will find something soft and thin. see below:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts