Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just bought a 4 year old approved used XJ Autobiography.
Had it delivered yesterday. Suddenly dashboard warning lights coming up on starting the car about 'emergency brake assist not available', ' stability control not available, drive with care'. Switched it off and back on again, and message disappeared.
It may be a technical 'glitch' or something more serious, but it's meant to have been serviced, had an electronic vehicle check and a 'multipoint approved used inspection' only a few days ago, so makes me suspicious as to 1. Have all those things been done 2. If so, why wasn't this issue detected/rectified?

Also on arrival, no handover of any documentation e.g. the inspection checklist, the mileage/history check...the 10 point promise seems so reassuring on the jag website

So I went online to check the service history, confirms this service has been done but no info on any issues detected/rectified, does mention an electronic vehicle check though

What are users experience of receiving the documentation associated with an Approved used Jag, what should we expect to have/ask for?
I will ask for:
  • copy of the multipoint inspection check, including the 'Certificate' confirming it was completed
  • the actual servicing detail confirming whether any issues were identified/rectified before delivery
  • a copy of the electronic vehicle health check that is meant to highlight issues with a traffic light system
  • a copy of the mileage and history check

Reasonable? Anything else I should expect to have received with the Jag?
Also, would this dashboard warning issue be reasonably expected to come up through one of the above activities during preparation of the car?

Thanks for any insights

·
19,741 Posts
Welcome PD.

Sounds a lovely car, and we're always keen to see photos, though this isn't mandatory.

Sorry to hear that there have been a few gremlins at the start of your XJ ownership.

Send the dealer an email - and if possible add a notification to say its been read by the dealership. That way they can't say it wasn't read.

This way you've also contacted them in a decent time scope. I'd also query the lack of properly filled in paperwork.

If possible get it booked in to get it looked at, far sooner than later.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It could be low battery charge as various messages appear which are down to if the car hasn't been used recently. Maybe needs a decent trip to give it a charge?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for the responses - good point, could be a low battery charge - went for a longish drive yesterday (40miles) and it happened after that - did another one (100miles return), so hopefully that will do the trick
However, will still press to get the paperwork and will drop the dealership an email and see what they say - it is quite a distance away so don't fancy driving it all that way just to get a diagnostic (which maybe should have been picked up with all those car inspections done only a few days ago) - if it is a potential issue, will ask that it gets looked at with a local dealership....if the documentation reveals all sorts of issues that were not mentioned, then obviously need to think about the 30 day exchange - worried about being left with a 'lemon', although I am probably overthinking it, and it is a simple glitch!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi all, just bought a 4 year old approved used XJ Autobiography.
Had it delivered yesterday. Suddenly dashboard warning lights coming up on starting the car about 'emergency brake assist not available', ' stability control not available, drive with care'. Switched it off and back on again, and message disappeared.
It may be a technical 'glitch' or something more serious, but it's meant to have been serviced, had an electronic vehicle check and a 'multipoint approved used inspection' only a few days ago, so makes me suspicious as to 1. Have all those things been done 2. If so, why wasn't this issue detected/rectified?

Also on arrival, no handover of any documentation e.g. the inspection checklist, the mileage/history check...the 10 point promise seems so reassuring on the jag website

So I went online to check the service history, confirms this service has been done but no info on any issues detected/rectified, does mention an electronic vehicle check though

What are users experience of receiving the documentation associated with an Approved used Jag, what should we expect to have/ask for?
I will ask for:
  • copy of the multipoint inspection check, including the 'Certificate' confirming it was completed
  • the actual servicing detail confirming whether any issues were identified/rectified before delivery
  • a copy of the electronic vehicle health check that is meant to highlight issues with a traffic light system
  • a copy of the mileage and history check

Reasonable? Anything else I should expect to have received with the Jag?
Also, would this dashboard warning issue be reasonably expected to come up through one of the above activities during preparation of the car?

Thanks for any insights
The warning lights coming up on start up is not uncommon and as has been mentioned is most likely due to a lower than ideal battery. I find it often happens with me if I do not start the car immediately, I get in the car, press the start button without pressing the foot break in order to check the service menu and the warnings you have mentioned, amongst others, appear. I switch off and start again and all is well. I am not saying that this is right but I don't think it is anything to get unduly worried about. More importantly, keep a very close eye on the oil level, due to oil dilution. The (Euro 6) 3litre diesel fitted in the face lift XJ suffers very badly with this. The dealers will try and blame you for your style of driving but it happens on all XJ's. The "miles to next service" drops like a stone and regular oil changes are essential. There is plenty of reading regarding the issue on this and other forums.

As for the paperwork, I am afraid I can't help you with that one.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
Worth bearing in mind that you will probably struggle to get your car into a dealer within the 30 day exchange period, if you want a courtesy car.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
Oh, and bearing in mind that you have more drain on the battery than other cars (with no increased battery capacity), I would get a ctek charger to keep the battery conditioned, and use it once a month or so.

·
Registered
2013 XFR - Ultimate Black
143 Posts
Agreed with above on the ctek charger. I plug mine in every 2 weeks as i do a lot of short journeys.

Much better for the life of the battery too than relying on doing a long journey to charge it back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts