Registered
217 Posts
at least it isn't 'sport break.....'

but dont forget to use all versions while searching ebay , lol

BB;)

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
My post was less being helpful, more dingbat. I removed the dash from a Sport brake! :geek:

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
In an effort to get back on topic, can I ask WHY you want to remove your dash?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Because the leather has a bubble in it and it annoys the shit out of me
Where about on dash is it? Did you put something heavy on it?
I cannot imagine a bubble on leather but if it is like a wrinkle, you can remove it using a steamer or heat gun+damp rag. Also I have seen leather is stapled to the plastic on knee level trims that I have removed. Maybe you could stretch it if it’s not difficult to access?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Heaps of reports on the Yank forum of the leather bubbling or lifting on XF dashes.
Mainly older XFs and mainly in the hotter south western states (so it's not as common in freezing old Blighty), but it is a very well known and documented problem.
The basic problem is the glue under the leather melts and lets go, and in particular it pulls away from the centre dash speaker surround.
No way to fix it other than removing the dash then either restretching, reglueing and stapling the existing leather or completely replacing the leather. A common fix is to staple the leather down around the centre dash speaker surround as from the factory it comes with only a few weak staples in this area.

Reactions: PeteA and hamedhbb

·
Super Moderator
26,654 Posts
There’s been a lot of posts about this on the Facebook groups recently.

I saw one method that involved some sort of glue and a syringe/needle to inject the glue into the lifted area then you weigh it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, I've read and watched all sorts of posts on this the bubble is between the instrument bubble and the center speaker about 3inch long and inch and a bit wide

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
This area?

Is it closer to the speaker or the instrument cluster?

The speaker cover pops off to allow some access, depending on how you are going to fix it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks guys, I've read and watched all sorts of posts on this the bubble is between the instrument bubble and the center speaker about 3inch long and inch and a bit wide
Hi, I recently removed the dash on a 2012 sportbrake I was stripping, it's a pretty big job, thankfully I didn't need to reinstall it. Nothing too tricky, but there are fixings all over the dash and you would need to keep track of what goes where. If there was a way to fix it without removing the dash I'd try that first!! Inject glue with a syringe?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers Dan I've got a new dash to go in, so do you think videoing it would help on the way out?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This area?

View attachment 181066

Is it closer to the speaker or the instrument cluster?

The speaker cover pops off to allow some access, depending on how you are going to fix it.
If only I know how to do that lol
It starts about where the top r/h corner of your box is and carrys on in that direction or 2 o'clock if that makes sense

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cheers Dan I've got a new dash to go in, so do you think videoing it would help on the way out?
If you have a replacement dash you could maybe have a number system or section system for the bolts. I thought the torx bolt right by the windscreen would be a nightmare but it was ok. I bought some cheap plastic trim removal tools off ebay for maybe £15, well worth having as they really help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts