Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Just picked up ATE SL.6 from ECP at a bargain price of £8.59. This is OEM brake fluid that is super low viscosity as recommended.

Taught I would share if anyone else was interested:
Link

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,592 Posts
can also use SDD to pump out the fluid via the ABS unit

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,592 Posts
Reactions: hamedhbb

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I got this in Jan this year and it's been brilliant, especially considering how much revisiting I've been doing on my brakes.

Incredibly easy to setup and use, no leaks and a genuine one-man job. Hooked it up to the Swift as well and it smartened up the brakes on that as well.

Link

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used This at £3.99 and worked just fine. It says out of stock but it wasn’t.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I used This at £3.99 and worked just fine. It says out of stock but it wasn’t.
I'm guessing it's got a non-return valve and it's a case of pumping the brakes? I've had one of those before, from Halfords or ECP I think? EZ comes to mind.

But the pressure one I linked to is brilliant, honestly it really is. I was amazed at how I would crank open a bleed nipple, watch the air bubbles pass and then out goes just fluid as I start to replace it, then another air bubble would come along. Because I can stay at the bleed nipple throughout I can see exactly what's happening with almost zero effort! lol

·
Registered
2010 3.0D XFS Portfolio Spectrum Blue/Ivory Leather 20" Selena's
10 Posts
Hi All
Just picked up ATE SL.6 from ECP at a bargain price of £8.59. This is OEM brake fluid that is super low viscosity as recommended.

Taught I would share if anyone else was interested:
Link
Just to add my tuppence, I use Shell ESL Super Dot 4 which is the Jaguar recommended
brake fluid. Can be found in Shell petrol stations for around £7.75 Ironically, it seems to cost more online.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm guessing it's got a non-return valve and it's a case of pumping the brakes? I've had one of those before, from Halfords or ECP I think? EZ comes to mind.
Was this a Gunsons EasiBleed that you connected to your spare tyre for the pressure? They used to make lots of unusual tools to sort out problems with the car. ColorTune, Carbalancer (for balancing airflow on twin carbs). A device for measuring spark strength shaped like a nutcracker that always looked like it would give you a belt in use. Simpler times...

·
Registered
242 Posts
...then there were automatic bleed valves. These replaced the bleed nipples on your drum brakes (for those who have never experienced these made for interesting times when heeding to brake quickly) or calipers. These had a spring inside them. When tightened they sealed the brake fluid from escaping. Loosen them slightly and a spring pressed the mating face to seal the brakes. Press down on the brakes and the pressure lifted the mating face of the nipple expelling the fluid, stop pressing and the sring pushed the mating face in to position again sealing the fluid from escaping.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just used the cheap one mentioned in post #2. Was very easy to used. Took me 10mins to do all 4 wheels. I still had to pump but it had a one way valve ans there was no leakage.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just to add my tuppence, I use Shell ESL Super Dot 4 which is the Jaguar recommended
brake fluid. Can be found in Shell petrol stations for around £7.75 Ironically, it seems to cost more online.
Thanks. I didn’t know. my workshop manual says ate sl6. My callipers are ATE so I didn’t thought JLR use another one. It could well be shell because ATE is not a oil company. Will bear that in mind but coincidentally I bought another one on ate today for my other car.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Was this a Gunsons EasiBleed that you connected to your spare tyre for the pressure? They used to make lots of unusual tools to sort out problems with the car. ColorTune, Carbalancer (for balancing airflow on twin carbs). A device for measuring spark strength shaped like a nutcracker that always looked like it would give you a belt in use. Simpler times...
It's a manual pump which you use to build up the pressure to the correct PSI and then leave it there whilst doing all the bleeding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts