Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called up my existing insurers to get the policy swapped over for Friday, my current underwriters won't insure the car??? I'm with M&S, currently insuring a C Class Merc CDi. They said they could provide cover through AXA for just under £600 for the year! Yeah I bet they would!

So I've started looking online for new insurers and was pleasantly surprised. Both Privilege and Churchull came in at £326. Nearest after that was £460

So before I sign up anyone had any experience of these guys? Admittedly the feedback would have to be pretty damning for me to consider paying an extra £140 a year to avoid them, but still thought I'd check.

Also any others anyone recommends? Got a few days to decide

·
Registered
95 Posts
Been with Privilege for 10 years never had a claim but not been able to beat them on price and have tried every year , they are a division of Direct line.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I am with Privilege at the moment and due to renew. Unfortunately they want approx £60 more this year than last (even though I have extra years ncb) and have removed the option to have a courtesy car unless you use their repairers, which I wouldn't get as I would want it repaired by Jaguar.

Therefore I find I have to change insurers after one year (as usual) because their second year quote is uncompetitive. Guess who are doing it for £80 less? That would be AXA.

Oh, and I have had lots of fun with Churchill in the past. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now.

So, in summary, if I was you I would go with Privilege this year and be prepared to change next year.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they must be the same company as Churchill, the quotes were the same, various messages are the same...

Anyway pretty sure I'm going to go with Churchill. After reading some insurance threads on here I saw Business Use mentioned. Figured I should really get that so went back to them to amend the quote, didn't change?? So started their Help Chat, got through immediately and was told for my occupation its given free of charge :)

So £326 with no voluntary excess inc Business Use. Happy with that, not much more than I paid for my 11yr old Merc worth a tenth of the XF and with half the power :)

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Just switched from Privilege as they were expensive. Check the small print ref the use of recycled parts to repair your car etc on some if the cheaper policies. I ended up with the AA this year as this seemed the best compromise between quality and service. That said I was with Privilege in 2006 and had a claim that they settled very quickly but it went 50/50 even though I was parked! My premium doubled the year after with them so I changed and paid the same as the previous year.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I think they must be the same company as Churchill, the quotes were the same, various messages are the same...

Anyway pretty sure I'm going to go with Churchill. After reading some insurance threads on here I saw Business Use mentioned. Figured I should really get that so went back to them to amend the quote, didn't change?? So started their Help Chat, got through immediately and was told for my occupation its given free of charge :)

So £326 with no voluntary excess inc Business Use. Happy with that, not much more than I paid for my 11yr old Merc worth a tenth of the XF and with half the power :)
If you go with Churchill I would advise you not to have an accident or make any changes to the policy mid-term. Then you should be ok.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am with Privilege at the moment and due to renew. Unfortunately they want approx £60 more this year than last (even though I have extra years ncb) and have removed the option to have a courtesy car unless you use their repairers, which I wouldn't get as I would want it repaired by Jaguar.
Just looked into that, when you take out the policy you can select Standard Courtesy Car, Hire Car or Hire Car Plus. Standard is as you say, Hire Car you can chose you garage, Hire Car Plus same but you get an equivalent car too (rather than some 1000cc jobby) For me it's about an extra £26 for Hire Car and another £11 for Hire Car Plus. This is the same for both Privilege and Churchill

Edit: to confirm both Privilege and Churchill are underwritten by the same company: underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, The Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds, LS1 4AZ

·
Registered
21,585 Posts
OK. Churchill Insurance. I've been with them for 5 years. Had 2 accidents - both my fault - and they've been good as gold. Nice courtesy car (not a Jag) and in both cases agreed for me to use the Stratstone body shop for the repairs (nice experience . . . they only do JLR and Aston Martin!). Missed a trick though - the chap at Stratstone told me I could have had one of their courtesy cars instead, had I asked.
My premium this year . . . . £1100 (including business travel). Still, you get what you pay for in this life. Don't you? :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 10

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had a quote through from Jaguar (dealer set it up to give me my 7days driveaway cover) £800!! :eek:

Compared to Churchill/Privilege at just over £300 ??

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Direct Line have been pretty respectable for me, especially as they include business use by default. I laughed in the dealer, as as a result of them setting up my 7-day temporary cover Jaguar Insurance emailed me a full year quote that was three times Direct Line's price :)

·
Founder member
9,395 Posts
DLG, Direct Line Group owns Privilege, Churchill and some other insurance brands. This was according to somebody's CV that I received last week.

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
I found eSure the cheapest.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I had direct line when I was in the UK, they were the only company I could find who would take my American driving record and insurance claims history for NCB.

As usual, I'm jealous. I couldn't get the equivalent of Road Traffic Act cover on my XF here for £500 a year and I have a clean record. To insure my XF by itself would cost roughly £1,100 a year.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm with Privilege and they were pretty close to the cheapest online. As usual their renewal was more expensive, so went online and checked and went with the cheapest, which was Privilege. I had to phone up and get them to reduce my renewal to match their online quote for a new customer. My excess reduced by £250 as well. All good in the end, but rubbish the amount of work you have to do to get the right deal from your own insurer.

There was also something else a bit weird, they had mine down as a facelift from the registration, even though it's not, then they wanted £100 more to insure mine than the facelift xfs, they couldn't tell me why.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,940 Posts
I'm with privilege, they seemed reasonable in claims process. Last year a BMW reversed into us and he was very apologetic then after he spoke to his insurance co he denied it. No reflection on privilege though..will see with my current claim....

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I was with Privilege a few years ago. Driving other cars not belonging to you was not included then.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts