Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

Yes it's the same question that appears approximately once a month.

Anyway, long and short my Jag extended warranty has dropped through the door with a hefty price tag of £1136; extended warranty with assistance.

The cars a 2016 XF r-sport 180 with around 42k on the clock; it's had a few niggles along the way with bodywork and the general stuff associated with the early version. I think the likely most expensive repair which was it's most recent was the air con condenser; however that won't of cost 1k to fix.

Catch-22, to warranty up the car given it's age OR create a savings repair pot?

My question to you learned folk is do you know of another warranty that offers decent coverage at a fair price? Happy to pick up some of the slack/work as the jag warranty is very slick when it works.

Cheers all,
Rob from the Potteries

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
My experience with third party warranty companies isn't great. The alternator went pop in my XF and whilst a replacement was approved very quickly, the warranty company insisted on supplying the new alternator, which was a concern as it's best to get a genuine Denso one. What the garage received from the warranty company was so nasty that he threw it straight in the bin and I sourced a Denso one myself.

With my recent purchase the used car warranty was one of those ones with quite low maximum claim limits etc, I think the maximum claim was like £1,200 (and probably the nastiest sourced part as well) which seemed pointless to me as I believe the whole point of a warranty is to cover the big and catastrophic stuff. I forfeited the warranty in return for £600 off the car (price of the warranty).

Obviously the Jaguar warranty will be different with regard to parts, although I did spot a Dingbro delivery van at the service entrance at Jaguar in Glasgow. Hmmm....

For a 2016 XF 180 with such a low mileage I would say £1,136 is ridiculous. Maybe they are anticipating problems?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ninjag, appreciate the comment. So essentially your saying the 3rd party warranties supply nasty parts and better to self-insure. I can't imagine the alternator repair bill to be over 1k, do you mind me asking how much it was? What motor/age/miles was that alternator issue on?

Any other positive stories or recomendations for 3rd party warranty companies?

·
Registered
45 Posts
don't bother with a warranty. Put the money in the bank. Then do the same for all discretionary insurance (except house,car,life) Add up all the premiums saved and see if you get even close to claiming this amount every year. I guess not otherwise these companies wouldnt exist.

Sample of 1, but had my 2012 XF for nearly 6 years and it's now done 100k (bought at 45k on clock) and the only thing that's gone wrong is a rear parking sensor. Only other cost has been tyres/brakes/oil. Glad I didnt buy a warranty and really glad I bought this car. Jaguar style and quality with Mondeo diesel reliability :)

Roll the dice..........

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
don't bother with a warranty. Put the money in the bank. Then do the same for all discretionary insurance (except house,car,life) Add up all the premiums saved and see if you get even close to claiming this amount every year. I guess not otherwise these companies wouldnt exist.

Sample of 1, but had my 2012 XF for nearly 6 years and it's now done 100k (bought at 45k on clock) and the only thing that's gone wrong is a rear parking sensor. Only other cost has been tyres/brakes/oil. Glad I didnt buy a warranty and really glad I bought this car. Jaguar style and quality with Mondeo diesel reliability :)

Roll the dice..........
I'm around £20K better off for taking the warranties over 3 years.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Good afternoon all,

Yes it's the same question that appears approximately once a month.

Anyway, long and short my Jag extended warranty has dropped through the door with a hefty price tag of £1136; extended warranty with assistance.

The cars a 2016 XF r-sport 180 with around 42k on the clock; it's had a few niggles along the way with bodywork and the general stuff associated with the early version. I think the likely most expensive repair which was it's most recent was the air con condenser; however that won't of cost 1k to fix.

Catch-22, to warranty up the car given it's age OR create a savings repair pot?

My question to you learned folk is do you know of another warranty that offers decent coverage at a fair price? Happy to pick up some of the slack/work as the jag warranty is very slick when it works.

Cheers all,
Rob from the Potteries
Bit strange that the warranty for yours is more than an older XFR-S. Suggests a troublesome marque.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Thanks Ninjag, appreciate the comment. So essentially your saying the 3rd party warranties supply nasty parts and better to self-insure. I can't imagine the alternator repair bill to be over 1k, do you mind me asking how much it was? What motor/age/miles was that alternator issue on?

Any other positive stories or recomendations for 3rd party warranty companies?
For the XFR-S V8 then yes, I would definitely have the Jaguar extended warranty. But for a regular engine and setup then if maintained well then you would have to be very unlucky to suffer something catastrophic without any warning.

Mine was an x250 2012 Sportbrake 3.0d V6 and I think the miles were about 65k when the alternator went (I had just got home from Arran thank God otherwise I'd have been stuck out there!). New Denso one is just over £500. The book claims something like 1.6 hours for fitting, but the Jaguar indy said it's a 2.5 hour job even for them and would have asked me to make up the difference, so there's a shortfall straightaway. I took me and the mechanic at work 4 hours to do as you have to raise the engine up to gain access.

Another thing is that I'm sure warranty work is a much lower rate paid to the garage. Even the new car manufacturer warranty work is a lesser rate paid to the dealership I believe.

However, perhaps it's also worth bearing in mind that I'm quite happy to get my hands dirty for many jobs on the car, I've got access to a pit, a post lift, various heat and power tools, advanced code readers, workshop manuals, trade price for parts plus an experienced mechanic at work to assist.

In fact just yesterday I had to attack a failed ABS/Wheel Speed sensor which obviously freaked my car out due to how much is reliant on that sensor. It's plastic going into aluminium and of course it snapped when trying to remove leaving the whole sodding sensor in the hole. Genuine part is about £105, but a Bosch one from Dingbro was £27. The mechanic and I spend 1.5 hours drilling it out as it's careful work due to the risk of other damage.

If I had put it into a garage they would have probably removed the hub etc (probably resulting in a new hub and bearing) so a few hours there, plus a mark-up on the part so I could have been landed a bill for £300+ when taking into account the VAT. Compared to £27, I've got a bit of an advantage! lol

A quick final note whilst I'm rambling away, one thing I have noticed from other people's posts online when it comes to the Jaguar Extended Warranty is that they seem very compliant with approving work especially if you car is also serviced with the main dealer. Due to my own experiences I won't let any main dealer touch my car, but that's another story. So if you just want full peace of mind, then maybe just bite the bullet. Might be worth calling them and asking them to explain why it's so much though and maybe negotiate a better deal?

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
crikey. You must have got a lemon there. Maybe time to join the BMW forum???
Not a lemon, just an incompetent dealer and unlucky with a £6 part. I personally wouldn’t run a modern diesel without a decent warranty. Too many systems to control the emissions not to. The 3.0d is a liability really. If you’re lucky then it’ll never give a problem. But if you’re unlucky, turbo actuators, inlet manifold, main bearings Etc become expensive.

the 4-pot ingenium seems to have it‘s fair share of issues.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Bit strange that the warranty for yours is more than an older XFR-S. Suggests a troublesome marque.
Mines the same. Paid £1136 last year and been quoted the same for this year.

• Wow
Reactions: Shrek

·
Super Moderator
30,287 Posts
I’m still quids in on my Jaguar extended warranty. New supercharger and rear diff. All in around £7k I think. I’m spent £3k in warranty so £4K up still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks all for your input on this, all info. greatfully received.

I shall now go and flip a coin :)

I note the general concensus is that 3rd party warranties aren't worth the money given the repair price limits and the potential for using poor parts.

I do have a local Jaguar indy near me that is well thought of... however I also like the thought of that no matter what occurs with the motor Jag assist and the dealership will step on up for me. Is that comfort blanket worth over 1k given the age of the motor. It is currently running fine and returning good MPG; the turbo was replaced some 3 years back as were the engine mounts (when I purchased it) and most recently the air-con condenser unit; amongst the various small patches required on the earlier models. Come to think of it I also believe front left ABS sensor was replaced as the cable got frayed and threw up a dash error along with a replacement telematics module. Hmmmmmm :unsure:

So it's had quite a bit chucked at it in it's earlier days and is "better" now.

Does anyone know who underwrites the warranty cover?

Do you feel lucky punk... well do you?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts