Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a go at fitting the illuminated treadplates this evening, despite a bit of discouraging weather :) and thought it'd be worth photographing the process, which took about 40 mins in total.

I had two useful items to hand, without which life would've been more difficult - trim removal tools and a connector removal set (although you could use a long pin to save buying this)

Firstly, pull the door trims away from the forward face of the door frame; this'll make removing everything much easier.

Then lever off the dash side panel on the drivers side:

Next, pull off the driver and passenger under-dash trim panels:

Using a T20 (Torx) bit, unscrew and remove the bonnet release handle in the passenger footwell

Then, lever off the existing driver and passenger treadplates. These seem to take some persuasion and I found it best to work from the back, forwards:

The driver and passenger kick plates seemed pretty stubborn so I didn't risk breaking the catches by removing them; it didnt' seem necessary as they were loose enough to get behind in order to route wires later on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then it's on to the wiring loom;

Unplug the prominent main terminal in the dash end-panel opening and use a tool/pin to remove the red safety clip.

Find the grey and yellow cable labelled pin9 at the back of this plug and remove it. Insert it into pin 1 of the small multiplug that came with the kit;

Connect this 2-pin multiplug into the 2-pin multiplug connector on the loom that came in the kit.

plug the large car multplug that you removed the pin from, into the large multiconnector on the loom that came with the kit (at this point I could hear what I think was the door locks cycling, but it didn't cause any problems). Unplug the slightly smaller cream multiconnector on the car loom (it's underneath the main loom plug you've just reconnected)
bridge the disconnected cream multiconnector with the 2 cream connectors on the loom that came with the kit. Now tuck it all away neatly and start tidying things up.

now you can test-connect the two illuminated sills into the connectors on the new loom. They should both light up. It'd be prudent to check that everything else is working on the car at this point, to save yourself some work if it isn't - I tried locking and unlocking the doors, checking general illumination went on and off as expected.

If all's well, route the wiring down behind the drivers side kick panel and refit the panel, treadplate and seal on this side. Feed the passenger side connector under the lower dash, behind the central console and down behind the passenger kickplate, cable tie-ing as you go.

Fit the passenger tread plate, kickplate, lower dash panel and bonnet release and admire your handiwork!

Daytime shots:

Evening shot

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,174 Posts
Nice write up Darren, this will help other FMs thank you

·
Registered
23,876 Posts
Great write up Darren. And the tread plates look fantastic!

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a rather nice black XF-S Portfolio

·
Registered
201 Posts
Superb write up!!!! How much did you pay for the tread plates???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the kind words, I wanted to give something back to the forum for all the useful info it's provided me with :coolup:

Damien; I paid what seems to be the going rate, which I think was far too much - around 350. Annoyingly, there are a set of used ones on 'that auction site' at the moment..

If I'd had the time I'd have been interested to see if the illumination could be retro-fitted to the existing plates. Having compared them I think the hard parts would be milling the font out of the plates satisfactorily and sourcing the lighting units. Other than that, it's just a case of knocking up a loom which I'm sure wouldn't be beyond the scope of someone with some DIY skill and 3 or 4 terminals. I'm sure it'd work out cheaper. :)

I just wanted the speed and convenience or it'd no doubt become another project that never got done!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Annoyingly, there are a set of used ones on 'that auction site' at the moment..
Cheers for the heads up, I'm in!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
BTW, what have you done with your old ones?

Sent from a shiny phone using Tapatalk. Typos expected...

·
Founder member
5,314 Posts
Cheers for the heads up, I'm in!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Make sure he has the wiring loom,not able to buy separate and not something
You could make up!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Darren

Fantastic write up, I'm sure it will be very helpful to anyone thinking of carrying out this excellent mod. :coolup:
It really does add a special touch to the interior when you open the doors to the car in the dark.

I managed to get my dealer to fit them as part of the new car order for £370. :D

Regards

Kev

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Make sure he has the wiring loom,not able to buy separate and not something
You could make up!
Arrggh. Just assumed could pick the loom up! Cheers for the warning. Will contact....

·
Founder member
5,314 Posts
You are working with very fine ribbon not cables and unless you want to butcher the loom you need to connect to the car.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
You are working with very fine ribbon not cables and unless you want to butcher the loom you need to connect to the car.
Oh I see, I've never looked at one. I thought it was just wire as I can only see wires in the how to pics.

James

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Luckily I've been outbid... I'd settle for all round replacement standard ones as mine are scruffy. Anyone any idea on how much they'd be? Never pop up on eBay.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Nice write-up Darren! I'm soooo tempted to buy a set of these, but I'm afraid that if I got even just one scratch on them I'd be p****d off big time, even though they're called scuff plates lol.

I renewed my scuffed-up plates with the non illuminated version and now waiting for the missus to cover them in adhesive backed plastic - she likes to be involved in things :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Arrggh. Just assumed could pick the loom up! Cheers for the warning. Will contact....

I think Bee has a spare loom if you need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to do this mod as the instructions are great.
Just one question. what does the tread plate plug into in the passenger side?

·
Apostrophe Monitor
7,424 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts