Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
mmm. I just assumed that there would be a version for KM's.. right, Kiloage it is then.. :) That shouldn't cause any confusion what so ever should it... :D

Sorry Hamed, Geoff and John have derailed your thread and taken it completely off-topic by replying to me, may I apologise on their behalf.. ;)

Back on topic.. had you got any further in your investigations.. or is it on hold for the U.V. lamp?

Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
Discussion Starter #22
No worries. I just used the UV light from top and no sign of leak. Need to remove under body tray to see it properly. So I need to find a time to jack the car up which is a project itself 馃お

Registered
Good news so far then.. good luck underneath!

I'm guessing that nothing is completely gas tight unless you pay big money.. which car manufactures won't.. so leakage over time is inevitable?..

Registered
Is the dye always added from new? I know it often gets added when testing a system, which would make me think it wasn't there originally. Maybe it depends on manufacturer?

Registered
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Good news so far then.. good luck underneath!

I'm guessing that nothing is completely gas tight unless you pay big money.. which car manufactures won't.. so leakage over time is inevitable?..
I am on luck today. Just looking through air vents on bumper I can see the leak. Seems to be dripping from under the radiator. I think it鈥檚 been discussed before. Just in case you never used the UV light see photos. I am very impressed such a cheap tool could find it in few mins. (Thanks to factory for adding it from new) I was there several months for rebuild and that pipe eas exposed. I wish I had the light then.
38989B68-2061-4FC7-B0E6-CA0DB859CA7D.jpeg
D737CE90-B54A-4924-9E2A-79A4BD52D2E7.jpeg
F721497B-30D4-4EB1-8DBB-547EB3116FCD.jpeg

at-least it is easy to access.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Is the dye always added from new? I know it often gets added when testing a system, which would make me think it wasn't there originally. Maybe it depends on manufacturer?
For Jaguar XF yes according to WM. It鈥檚 there from factory. Otherwise garages do it while testing. There are equivalent Topup gases on ebay with dye. Good for DIY testing but beware they are R600 aka isobutane so explosive but not as bad as people think. It鈥檚 safe for environment as well.

not sure about other cars but my Toyota doesn鈥檛 have it.

Registered
I am on luck today. Just looking through air vents on bumper I can see the leak. Seems to be dripping from under the radiator. I think it鈥檚 been discussed before. Just in case you never used the UV light see photos. I am very impressed such a cheap tool could find it in few mins. (Thanks to factory for adding it from new) I was there several months for rebuild and that pipe eas exposed. I wish I had the light then.
View attachment 181093 View attachment 181094 View attachment 181095

at-least it is easy to access.

Fantastic news Hamed!.. I think?.. :)

Not good news that you've got a leak.. but hopefully it's only the leak causing your problem.. and it seems fairly easy to get to so you can fix it.. (y)

And now from your photographs I can see that I definitely need a new toy sorry, tool for my armoury... :D

Reactions: hamedhbb

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Yes it鈥檚 very handy. I bought it from china for less than 拢2馃槅

Registered
"Less than 拢2" !!! o_O You don't even need man maths to justify that!! :D

Reactions: hamedhbb

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
馃槀
I have some UV dye on the way as well. Didn鈥檛 know they are added from factory. Having said I place these orders for another purpose!
Apparently UV dies are safe to use for finding many leaks. You can even add them to engine or transmission oil, coolant, etc.

Registered
DPS replaced on mine today.

Seems to have worked as in the car didn't mist up whenever I stopped.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Registered
Jaguar XF 3D 2013
Reduced aircon operation, especially when car is stopped. I have been advised that DPS replacement is the most likely issue. What is the typical time and cost to do this job?

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Reduced aircon operation, especially when car is stopped. I have been advised that DPS replacement is the most likely issue. What is the typical time and cost to do this job?
You know that low ac gas pressure will have a very similar symptoms, right? If it鈥檚 been checked and still have a similar issue it could be dps. It鈥檚 a diagnosis procedure mentioned in the TSB for this but they need icarsoft or sdd.
Let鈥檚 assume it鈥檚 dps valve. I was waiting for guys that have done this to comment but I am sure some of them have mentioned the cost in other threads. I know the DPS valve costs about 拢70, JLR brand and 拢15 aftermarket. car needs regas as well. I remember a FM was charged 3hrs for labour.
I guess something between 拢300 to 拢500(from top my head) is the cost you are looking to. Not that difficult job for a DIYer over weekend 鈥渋f鈥 the system is out of gas.

Registered
I had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago by my local independent.

They quoted me about 拢330 + VAT for parts and labour.

Edited to add that it completely cured my aircon problems and I didn't pay anything like the above price to have the job done. They have some talented techs where I go and they may of found a quicker way to do the job.

Registered
Any idea what that quicker way was Jay?.. I need mine doing.

Registered
Any idea what that quicker way was Jay?.. I need mine doing.
No idea Pete.

When I was presented with my bill the labour had been discounted by 100%. I'm not sure if they were being particularly generous because I used to do a bit of work for them or they found a quicker way to do it. Either way I just paid up before they changed their mind.

Reactions: PeteA

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
No idea Pete.

When I was presented with my bill the labour had been discounted by 100%. I'm not sure if they were being particularly generous because I used to do a bit of work for them or they found a quicker way to do it. Either way I just paid up before they changed their mind.

On some ac compressors the dps valve is easy to reach. Others are very difficult.

Registered
On some ac compressors the dps valve is easy to reach. Others are very difficult.
That might explain it. Perhaps mine was an easy one. 3.0 V6 diesel.

@PeteA I'd imagine yours and mine are identical under the bonnet even though yours is a van.

Registered
@JayF .. re-arrange these two words into a well know phrase or saying... ;)

TBH.. I actually much prefer the flowing lines and shape of the van from the B-pillar back compared to the saloon. The back end of the saloon is OK.. but I never thought it really matched the front, in terms of design or 'flow'... (IMHO)

Reactions: JayF

Registered
Word on the street is Callum done the van when he was reekin'
For a laugh ;)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts