Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2011 XK
12 Posts
Hi Workshop manual suggests you can remove the compressor quite easily from below

· Registered
2011 XK
12 Posts
remove belt and lines and three screws!

· Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Go on then, give it a try!

· Registered
2011 XK
12 Posts
I can only imagine how tight it is, however if the engine needs to come out I would have thought the manual would have said that it needs to, is there no way you can get the dps out with compressor in situ? Ask main dealer for a price? And point the to the technical bulletin which suggest a time to repair? Just a thought though are you sure it is the dps and not the pressure transducer? Had similar issue in XJ 8 and replaced the pressure transducer because it was easiest and away it went, good as new, If you can check the voltage on dps on idle it should confirm it, if you have high voltage near battery then the dps is faulty, had this on the Viano and this also was impossible to change the compressor, but if you follow the correct procedure it will (bumper, fan, intercooler etc on this) but the Jaguar manual states nothing, just remove, I would suggest it will come out with out taking the engine out, but may be very tight

· Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The Jaguar manual is pretty useless, it may well explain the removal of the DPS is to remove the pipes, remove compressor, release circlip etc, but it will not mention how to access said compressor. There's many issues like this in the manual. The DPS is also fitted to the side of the compressor, closest to the engine block, so no chance to get it out in situ. Have a look at yours, from the top, you'll see how tight it is, you'll struggle to even see it, let alone get a hand to it and zero chance to get tools down there. From below, the engine mounts, suspension components and inner wing are in the way. It's not that my aircon isn't functional, it does work, but is sluggish to start, the engine needs to be running for some minutes and the car moving, classic faults of a failing DPS valve. I've not attempted to measure the voltage to the plug on the DPS, due to no bloody access! It's not possible to get your hands near it to unplug the connector, let alone get a pair of DVM test leads in there! May be able to just do this from below, but means all the undertrays at the very least have to come off. And then what? Can't get the valve out in any case.

· Registered
2011 XK
12 Posts
Hi

i find the manual may simplify but will be accurate, but like replacing the heater matrix, the first bit refers to removing the instrument panel and directs you to the area where this is detailed that in turn will direct you to taking the centre console out, once that is done you go back to the job in hand, you are correct it is done from below, I can’t get my car up on our lifts to have a look as it’s too low and our columns are made for trucks. Get your main dealer to give a quote for the work they probably do loads and there will be a menu price for the job, to be honest any garage should be capable of doing it.

· Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm an experienced (hobby) mechanic and have my own car lift, having been involved with cars for over 40 years. There is no way I'm letting a main dealer anywhere near my car! My son is also a qualified car mechanic, working in the trade. When I said there's no access, there's no access! Mind you, where there's a will, there's a way.... As the air con sort of works, the fault can rest, the valve is boxed in my workshop, ready for when it fails completely, one day....

· Registered
2011 XK
12 Posts
I had that issue on my Viano, plenty of access but once the compressor was off it wouldn’t come out, but of course there is always a way, and it did come out, fan off, bumper off, intercooler off etc. I haven’t had my XK up in the air yet but the compressor is right at the front and is low down , believe me I’ve seen some impossible jobs done, I am professionally involved in special vehicle building and maintenance and have been for 40 yrs, current working on EV at diagnostic level, working inside live battery packs amongst other things, less on the tools these days and don’t fix other peoples cars on the drive anymore.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts