Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone any idea how I find the part number for a replacement DPS valve for my 2011 5.0 XKR? I've had a look at the on line parts catalogue and it doesn't seem to be shown separately? Chassis number is B40690. Symptoms are warm air from the vents when the car is at idle and not moving, when driving the system operates just fine. It was also recently regassed with no leaks or errors. Has anyone replaced their DPS on the 5.0 V8, how easy is it to access?

· Registered
25,010 Posts
Identical to the symptoms mine is suffering from and which hopefully will be diagnosed and confirmed tomorrow.
I'll see if I can find your part number . . . .

· Registered
25,010 Posts
Well, there is no separate listing for the DPS valve for your model and VIN. But this part no. - C2D42376 - is the "Air conditioning kit" and includes "A/C compress control valve and snap ring".
This seems to be common to the models I've looked at. Certainly the same (not the same part no.) for the XJ.

· Registered
25,010 Posts
Update: That IS the correct part number for the DPS valve! I've just printed off JTB 00380v7 to hand to the service reception tomorrow to back up my suggestion that the problem is the DPS valve. And within that document is listed the part nos. for all the affected models, the XKR 5.0 being one of them. Let me know if you want the doc and I'll post it.

· Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: That IS the correct part number for the DPS valve! I've just printed off JTB 00380v7 to hand to the service reception tomorrow to back up my suggestion that the problem is the DPS valve. And within that document is listed the part nos. for all the affected models, the XKR 5.0 being one of them. Let me know if you want the doc and I'll post it.
If you could, I'd appreciate that John.

· Registered
25,010 Posts
You two should check to see if your cooling fan is running when stood. It needs to be on when demand for cooling is on.
The cooling fan is triggered by a pressure signal and needs the DPS to be working.

· Registered
25,010 Posts
You two should check to see if your cooling fan is running when stood. It needs to be on when demand for cooling is on.
The cooling fan is triggered by a pressure signal and needs the DPS to be working.
@FCS You seem to have been onto something. But I'm not 100% convinced. Tomorrow will tell.

· Registered
1,436 Posts
I agree John, but it may help the diagnostic, I have not looked into all of the triggering mechanisms, but if it runs ok when moving there is not much more involved. You maybe correct, but it would be nice to prove it.

· Registered
11,064 Posts
"The ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) module uses the signal from the pressure sensor to protect the refrigerant system from extremes of pressure. The ATC module also transmits an A/C pressure CAN signal to the ECM. The ECM (Engine Control Module) uses the signal to determine cooling fan operation."

From: 'Technical Training-Climate Control Systems' which is available here: Technical Training-Climate Control Systems.pdf

'Component Location' pdf is also attached.

Attachments

· Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
14,100 Posts

· Registered
1,436 Posts
"The ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) module uses the signal from the pressure sensor to protect the refrigerant system from extremes of pressure. The ATC module also transmits an A/C pressure CAN signal to the ECM. The ECM (Engine Control Module) uses the signal to determine cooling fan operation."

From: 'Technical Training-Climate Control Systems' which is available here: Technical Training-Climate Control Systems.pdf

'Component Location' pdf is also attached.
Brilliant Pete, fascinating reading. So the cooling fan is operated by the refrigerant pressure sensor via the ECM. due to the temperature/pressure equivalence of the refrigerant.That is one hell of a document, would be good on the (how to)

· Registered
11,064 Posts
Brilliant Pete, fascinating reading. So the cooling fan is operated by the refrigerant pressure sensor via the ECM. due to the temperature/pressure equivalence of the refrigerant.That is one hell of a document, would be good on the (how to)
It's unusually good for a manufacturer's document isn't it Fred, can't remember where I got it though, I have a strange feeling it was our very own Obi Wan John that originally posted it?

Reactions: FCS

· Registered
11,064 Posts
You might as well John, I don't have the memory capacity to argue the point... 😁

Reactions: FCS

· Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bumping this thread, the smell of my damp air conditioning evaporator when I start the car is getting worse and smellier, I need to depressurise the air con and change the DPS valve. Anyone done this on a V8 5.0, is there access from below? Definitely no access from above.

· Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The car is due an MoT so I've booked this for Monday (10th October) and asked them to remove the air con refrigerant. Still no idea how to access the compressor, but no point even trying with gas in the system.

· Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just tried to access the compressor to change the DPS valve. Absolutely no access from above or below. It's an engine out job to change it. I'll have the garage re-gas the air con and that's the best I can do, I'm not taking the engine out!

• Wow
Reactions: OBC John
1 - 20 of 28 Posts