Jaguar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
So the BMS data probably still indicates a discharged battery with very limited capacity. 14.95V seems high without extra loads turned on and a fully charged battery, and is probably overcharging your battery, but I suppose that is to be expected if the BMS is not reset when going from a discharged battery with limited capacity to a new battery.

Did you disconnect the battery when you changed it? ( as opposed to trying to keep it supported with another battery during the change )
I'm guessing but it may well be that when you disconnect and reconnect that it will expect that the battery has been charged while disconnected, whereas if you don't disconnect it has no reason to suspect a change in charge level - that would of course not help with the calculated "fully charged capacity" which the BMS adjusts to account for the gradual wearing out of the battery ( which will also be reset with the BMS reset )

When you tried to turn on heated seat, max air, and heated screen, can we take it they're still not working?
Also do the indicator lights in the buttons for heated screen, and touch panel displays for heated seats and fan speed act as if they are working?
When you say heated seats, are they the heated only type? (i.e. not climate/ heated/cooled seats )
It's worth checking the carpet is dry in front, and behind the front seats, as there are modules under the seats too ( climate seats module among others. )

My guess if it's not just that the BMS needs resetting would be that it's something affecting the MS-CAN bus connection to the ATC ( water ingress somewhere perhaps), or the ATC module itself.

Hopefully your diagnostic cable will show up soon, and you'll then be able to reset the BMS, and if you're still having issues read any remaining fault codes.

In addition to disconnecting the red wire johnw777 mentions above, I'd suggest also trying it with the green/white ( linbus ) wire disconnected if you can reach it, see pics on the following ebay listing 2008 JAGUAR XF X250 2.7 D AUTO HEATER MATRIX MF013410-0451 | eBay
EDIT: or disconnect black wire as well as the red wire.
Once I received the new Varta battery it was 12.5V, therefore, I used the jump starter (attached) to charge it - I disconnect its internal battery and plug in the terminals into the new battery - until reached 13.06V
Then, I waited more than half an hour to let all the modules to shutdown and I replaced the old with the new - fully charged - battery.

Yes, that is correct. All of the heated seats, max air, and heated screen are not working, but the indicator lights on the buttons are working.

I think the seats are heated only (attached)

I checked all the carpet and underneath the seats, I couldn't suspect any water ingress!

Isn't the green/yellow wire for ground? I don't know if I can get access to it!
If I disconnect the red wire as per @johnw777mentioned, do want me to disconnect the black at the same time?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Just the red wire will be enough W. (y)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes, that is correct. All of the heated seats, max air, and heated screen are not working, but the indicator lights on the buttons are working.

I think the seats are heated only (attached)

I checked all the carpet and underneath the seats, I couldn't suspect any water ingress!

Isn't the green/yellow wire for ground? I don't know if I can get access to it!
If I disconnect the red wire as per @johnw777mentioned, do want me to disconnect the black at the same time?
Hmm so link from the Touchscreen to ATC is probably working, but not control of the actual devices.

Yeah looks like heated only from that display, so no module under the seats for seat heater control.

No, the green/yellow wire is for linbus connection to the ATC, there are other things on the bus too, it controls the motors that rotate the vents. Disconnecting just the red wire still allows there to be a short of the linbus to ground via the black wire, so yes as you can't get to the linbus wire, I think it's worth trying with both red and black disconnected at the same time as that will prevent there being a possibility that there is a short circuit from linbus to ground.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Hmm so link from the Touchscreen to ATC is probably working, but not control of the actual devices.

Yeah looks like heated only from that display, so no module under the seats for seat heater control.

No, the green/yellow wire is for linbus connection to the ATC, there are other things on the bus too, it controls the motors that rotate the vents. Disconnecting just the red wire still allows there to be a short of the linbus to ground via the black wire, so yes as you can't get to the linbus wire, I think it's worth trying with both red and black disconnected at the same time as that will prevent there being a possibility that there is a short circuit from linbus to ground.
Here are what I have got

14.97V Pre-heat red is disconnected
14.94V Pre-heat red is disconnected and full beam is on
12.55V on the pre-heart terminals (engine is off)

15.05V Pre-heat red + black are disconnected
15.03V Pre-heat red + black are disconnected and full beam is on
14.98V on the pre-heart terminals (engine is on)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here are what I have got

14.97V Pre-heat red is disconnected
14.94V Pre-heat red is disconnected and full beam is on
12.55V on the pre-heart terminals (engine is off)

15.05V Pre-heat red + black are disconnected
15.03V Pre-heat red + black are disconnected and full beam is on
14.98V on the pre-heart terminals (engine is on)
Well assuming the vents don't spring back to life with both red and black disconnected, that pretty much eliminates it being anything to do with the pre-heat blocking the linbus, so you might as well reconnect it and wait for your diagnostic cable to arrive. I hope it arrives soon.

It does seem a bit unusual for the voltage to be so close to 15, but we're only talking 0.15V more than expected so if your meter isn't very good I wouldn't be to concerned. ( Also I believe official Jaguar spec says it may charge at up to 15V, but AGM battery makers recommend not exceeding 14.8V so that always seemed an odd spec to me, just I've never seen the voltage that high when I've measured it, perhaps it's all an artifact of the BMS data indicating the battery is bad / deep discharged )

·
Registered
589 Posts
The main thing is... with the red & black disconnected have you started the car to see if things are now working??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Surprisingly, I have received the JLR mangoose quite fast!
I don't know exactly how to use it or reset the BMS, but here is what I am getting! (Attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
That "secondary battery" fault might be telling.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,308 Posts
I’d check the hvac module doesn’t have any water ingress/ the connector is clean and secure

Reactions: xf_phil

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
@OBC John, but the auto start-stop is working after fitting the new primary battery!

I think I managed to rest the BMS from "Battery - Power supply service mode diagnostic" (attached 05 and 06)
Afterward, I cleared all DTCs, then re-read all of them (please see attached 04 for results)

@Gav, is the HVAC module located underneath and passenger seat?

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,308 Posts
sorry I don't have the x250 workshop manual any more so not sure, do you have it? It's available free on here

·
Registered
284 Posts
Surprisingly, I have received the JLR mangoose quite fast!
I don't know exactly how to use it or reset the BMS, but here is what I am getting! (Attached)
It's probably worth checking out the codes on the FCDIM module too ( in case it's more than lost comms with HVAC).
If your car has memory for the driver seat ( not sure if the luxury spec does?), then your DSM module isn't showing up either, in which case it may be worth trying with that disconnected.
Like Gav says, check out the hvac module.

@OBC John, but the auto start-stop is working after fitting the new primary battery!

I think I managed to rest the BMS from "Battery - Power supply service mode diagnostic" (attached 05 and 06)
Afterward, I cleared all DTCs, then re-read all of them (please see attached 04 for results)

@Gav, is the HVAC module located underneath and passenger seat?
Did you get a choice of which batteries you wanted to replace/reset the BMS for?
It might be worth replacing the small battery too ( BTW Exide EK151 is equivalent, and exide are the usual make of the Jaguar supplied ones - at least in the uk), then resetting it's BMS - I doubt it can cause the issues directly, but perhaps it could be a bug in the code in the modules to handle it's failure.

The location of the HVAC module is shown in this youtube video at 1:22 ( you can see the bottom of the pollen filter door just to its right in the orientation shown in the video ) NOTE: I'am NOT suggesting it's a good idea to inject power like the do in that video!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Did you check Fuse F25 in the FSJB/BCM ( drivers footwell )?

Also when you checked for water ingress to the FSJB, it was this that you checked? ( as it may be non obvious when it gets in via the washer pump wires )

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
It's probably worth checking out the codes on the FCDIM module too ( in case it's more than lost comms with HVAC).
If your car has memory for the driver seat ( not sure if the luxury spec does?), then your DSM module isn't showing up either, in which case it may be worth trying with that disconnected.
Like Gav says, check out the hvac module.
The only code I am getting is "U0164-00"
I don't think mine has memory for the driver seat!

Did you get a choice of which batteries you wanted to replace/reset the BMS for?
It might be worth replacing the small battery too ( BTW Exide EK151 is equivalent, and exide are the usual make of the Jaguar supplied ones - at least in the uk), then resetting it's BMS - I doubt it can cause the issues directly, but perhaps it could be a bug in the code in the modules to handle it's failure.
I haven't got the option to choose once I used "Battery - Power supply service mode diagnostic"
Sorry, but why you are suggesting replacing the small battery if the start/stop is working, plus showing (✔) under the status (please see attached 04)

The location of the HVAC module is shown in this youtube video at 1:22 ( you can see the bottom of the pollen filter door just to its right in the orientation shown in the video ) NOTE: I'am NOT suggesting it's a good idea to inject power like the do in that video!
What should I check apart from the connectors?

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Did you check Fuse F25 in the FSJB/BCM ( drivers footwell )?

Also when you checked for water ingress to the FSJB, it was this that you checked? ( as it may be non obvious when it gets in via the washer pump wires )
Yes, all fuses are working fine in here.
I couldn't notice any water ingress. What if it has a water ingress before and it evaporated by now?

·
Registered
284 Posts
The only code I am getting is "U0164-00"
I don't think mine has memory for the driver seat!

I haven't got the option to choose once I used "Battery - Power supply service mode diagnostic"
Sorry, but why you are suggesting replacing the small battery if the start/stop is working, plus showing (✔) under the status (please see attached 04)

What should I check apart from the connectors?
Ok.
It doesn't look like you're loosing comms with any modules on that bus other than the HVAC then.

In that case it looks like "Battery - Power supply service mode diagnostic" is not the BMS reset, as there is one BMS for each battery, and you're only supposed to reset the one(s) for batteries you've replaced ( not just recharged ).

You had a fault code for secondary battery in the image you posted earlier, but as it's no longer present in that latest pic, it doesn't look like it will be related to that.

You could check the voltage between pin1 ( red wire ) and pin 6 ( black wire ) on the 26 pin connector on the hvac module.
As the can bus passes through the module ( 2 pins in, 2 pins out ) I think you can ignore that, as otherwise a lot more modules wouldn't be able to communicate.

Yes, all fuses are working fine in here.
I couldn't notice any water ingress. What if it has a water ingress before and it evaporated by now?
If there's been water ingress, there is normally corrosion on the pins on the FSJB, have a look through the other thread I linked above. If voltage is ok at the HVAC module then it's probably the module has failed and nothing to do with the FSJB.
I believe it's DX23-18D493-AC though this ebay listing is for ex23-18D493-AA which appears to be used on newer cars so probably could also be used. The module will need programming with SDD as far as I understand ( and I believe a 50amp 13.4-13.8v power supply is pretty much required while programming, but I'm sure there are others on the forum that have first hand experience of that. )

81 - 100 of 176 Posts