Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My post is not a question, nor is it an unapologetic attention-seeking sympathy-gleaning step. It's to deliver a big announcement; well big in my timeline of car ownership. Posted in the hope it might inspire others who are yet to own this wonderful vehicle.

Tomorrow I shall be parting with my stunning 2013 XJ Premium; bought nearly 6 years ago, with 18,000 miles and at a steal of a price. Traded to a dealership at 60,000 miles. It has sailed through MoTs and never left me stranded (apart from a DPF issue which only required a refresh). It was a head turner and induced a little jealousy in some. Incredibly smooth to drive, smooth and quiet on most roads. Surprisingly swift and handled so well.

I have been trying to trade this for the past 4 years. Not because I was unhappy with it. Just conscious that this isn't the most practical vehicle. Each time I came to the realisation that I valued comfort and performance over some of the attributes this car doesn't have. Each test drive of anything else left me feeling that the better car was the one I already owned.

But I am about to take a massive leap. My XJ is getting old. I just felt that it could be only a matter of time before my love for the vehicle would turn sour. Either because a majorly expensive component suddenly failed. Or the ridiculous ULEZ restrictions would punish drivers of older vehicles even more, and seriously limit where I could go (if I didn't want to be fined to use my own car).

So I bought a used F-Pace with a similar engine (300bhp not the older 275bhp in the XJ). These are NOT in plentiful supply. Probably because they're something like £11k more expensive, but also perhaps people get attached to this more powerful yet frugal beast. But I digress. I am parting with a car that has been by far the best car I've ever owned and would certainly consider owning one again in a heartbeat (a ULEZ compliant version).

So if you're on this forum with interest in owning an XJ, I hope I've inspired you to make that choice. And who knows I may end up being an owner again and if so, I'll drop back here to make another big announcement.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
1,208 Posts
Good luck with your new charge, Ron…….the only one of its ilk that I would entertain, purely on aesthetics, would be the IPace. The E Pace and F Pace are more numerous than Cortinas were, even up here in the Arctic, just east of Inverness. They also remind me of the horrible name the first Sierra got…..the jelly mould. At least you have opted for the engine one, albeit Euro 6 unfortunately. The smaller engine variants would find it difficult removing the skin aff a rice pudding imho….lol.
Awribest wiffit regardlessfully.

Reactions: OBC John and PeteA

·
Registered
10,972 Posts
My post is not a question, nor is it an unapologetic attention-seeking sympathy-gleaning step. It's to deliver a big announcement; well big in my timeline of car ownership. Posted in the hope it might inspire others who are yet to own this wonderful vehicle.

Tomorrow I shall be parting with my stunning 2013 XJ Premium; bought nearly 6 years ago, with 18,000 miles and at a steal of a price. Traded to a dealership at 60,000 miles. It has sailed through MoTs and never left me stranded (apart from a DPF issue which only required a refresh). It was a head turner and induced a little jealousy in some. Incredibly smooth to drive, smooth and quiet on most roads. Surprisingly swift and handled so well.

I have been trying to trade this for the past 4 years. Not because I was unhappy with it. Just conscious that this isn't the most practical vehicle. Each time I came to the realisation that I valued comfort and performance over some of the attributes this car doesn't have. Each test drive of anything else left me feeling that the better car was the one I already owned.

But I am about to take a massive leap. My XJ is getting old. I just felt that it could be only a matter of time before my love for the vehicle would turn sour. Either because a majorly expensive component suddenly failed. Or the ridiculous ULEZ restrictions would punish drivers of older vehicles even more, and seriously limit where I could go (if I didn't want to be fined to use my own car).

So I bought a used F-Pace with a similar engine (300bhp not the older 275bhp in the XJ). These are NOT in plentiful supply. Probably because they're something like £11k more expensive, but also perhaps people get attached to this more powerful yet frugal beast. But I digress. I am parting with a car that has been by far the best car I've ever owned and would certainly consider owning one again in a heartbeat (a ULEZ compliant version).

So if you're on this forum with interest in owning an XJ, I hope I've inspired you to make that choice. And who knows I may end up being an owner again and if so, I'll drop back here to make another big announcement.
Sounds good Ron.. hope it goes according to plan.. (y)

Reactions: Statler

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
As mentioned in the other thread, I do believe you’ll enjoy the F-Pace.

It’s a different class of car to the XJ and if you understand that, you’ll avoid comparing them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts