Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As daft as it may seem, I’m finding it extremely difficult to buy a new, genuine denso alternator.
Anyone know of a source? I actually laughed down the phone at the Jaguar main dealer parts guy this week. For comedy value, I’ll tell you that they wanted.

£785 plus VAT.…….I asked if he’s ever sold one….”err not that I’m aware of sir”

Anyway, back in the land of the living, I still need an alternator to drop in next Saturday, before breakfast ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got a Lucas alternator from ECP for £307 just over a year and a half ago, I figure that should last at least 8 years or longer than I own the car. (XFS 2012)
You could always get your existing alternator reconditioned if you have it out of the car already?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I was finding a fair amount of people online commenting that cheap pattern ones fail pretty quickly, which isn't great considering it's a pig of a job.

I would expect Lucas to be ok as that's oem for past Honda.

I got my Denso one for about £550. I would need to look up where I got it though, it may have been the garage which sourced it and then we fitted it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks fellas, I’ve looked at pretty much everything I can think of.
The Lucas option has presented itself, but I was put off by appalling quality through experience of modern Lucas branded stuff in the classic car game. Whether the condensers and points ive had for the classic fleet were Chinese knock off or just the new standard, I know not….

I’m heartened to find that you have enjoyed a positive experience Sockpet, maybe this is an option after all.

Id never fit a pattern part, I’ve seen these too and it’s not for me but thanks for the suggestion,

I definitely would prefer to exhaust all options to find a new sub £400 OEM unit. There are remanufactured units out there but it is almost impossible to know what is done to them.
The most likely at the moment is this one but it appears they won’t sell outside the trade.https://www.autoelectro.co.uk/

They have a listing on Amazon for only 1 available but sod all info on the base unit or work done to it.
luckily the car is a 4th vehicle so I don’t to rush.
thanks all

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Advanced Factors are great and sponsor the Range Rover forum I frequent.

Use “AF4LRP” and you’ll get 5% off that price too.

David

Reactions: The vast minority

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks again chaps, I’ll have to call them both. I’d seen the ashwood one but not the AF one. Neither listing actually mentions the 2.7 which is my problem. The original is still installed and I’m 150 miles from the car so I can’t check part numbers.
I've waited over 50 years to talk to either company about this so I can now wait until Tuesday.
A refurbishment kit is also a possibility but what are the chances of quality these days………..

ill sort it on Tuesday.
Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number
Product Font Automotive tire Engineering Screenshot

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
A bit of an update, albeit somewhat tangential.
ive been too busy to actually do this job. As such ive not removed the old and sourced the new yet, but I have made a decision on access.
The wretched undertray is a problem to remove at ground level and the scissor lift I have limits access to things in the middle. Lift is too heavy to put car on blocks and pull out from under, and so, after much contemplation, I concluded that a car stage ramp-set was in order. These will surely be useful for the rest of the fleet and I have somewhere to store them. One sees range rovers and the like on these and the ones I’ve bought have been used for welding 4x4’s so they should be ok. Never seen an XF on these but at 12 inches wide, my 245 tyres will fit. Anyone else made this move, how’d it go?
Collect Saturday so will hopefully make progress next week.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,887 Posts
You can use normal car ramps that will give you enough access to remove the under tray, that's what I've used.
Cheaper than what you're planning and easy to store...

Reactions: The vast minority

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You can use normal car ramps that will give you enough access to remove the under tray, that's what I've used.
Cheaper than what you're planning and easy to store...
The tray has fixings at the back as well though I believe so would need a fair bit of fannying about. I also plan on rust prevention treating under there to preserve the body and am therefore thinking of more than just the alternator job.
These are deffo a challenge to store but will fit down the side of garage and I found a set for £300, an easy drive away, I recon I could always sell them if they prove to be too much of a ball ache. With the old lass not getting any younger and a classic car also in the stable, I think I’ll get the use out of them to justify having them.
time will tell. I’ll report on how they work for the Jag.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Right, picked up the ramps and I finally have a day with a few hours of my own time to make a start.
Anything I need to know about removing the under tray, expected problems / rusty/spinning fasteners for example?
Cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I got mine a few were rusted and needed drilling out... fairly cheap on flea bay. There is a really good youtube video showing the turbo piping and removing it all to get to the alternator.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
When I got mine a few were rusted and needed drilling out... fairly cheap on flea bay. There is a really good youtube video showing the turbo piping and removing it all to get to the alternator.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Cheers, I suspect there will be rusty fasteners, I did watch that you tube vid a while ago, ill definitely have another watch this morning though so thanks for reminding me ;-)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Well, that's the scary bit done.
Managed a gentle "touchdown"
I made a pair of distance jigs out of wood to ensure parallel.
I did test several test runs up the ramps with a Ford focus before getting brave enough. its good to be cautious even though these are 3000KG rated.

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Mode of transport Wheel

21 - 40 of 45 Posts