Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I had a poke around some before the rain hit, under the bonnet would clean up quite well, not sure whether I should but the OCD may compel it. There is a fair bit of nastiness below the brake fluid reservoir but it appears to be some kind of alloy plate - hard to get in there and harder to photograph. Some of the pipework is going to be a challenge, looking at the site posted by PeteA an awful lot of preshaped hoses particularly for the vacuum / intake side of thing aren't available, some of the fuel hoses if done properly require some sort of crimping so I'll need to find somebody that can remake them. Might change all the jubilee type clips for constant pressure spring types, I have a full coolant hose set coming but after a deep inspection the hoses in place don't seem that bad at all - still flexible, not perished and not cracking.

The gearbox mount looks strange, I believe it sits on a spring, does this mean the spring is broken ? - cant see the spring at all - please excuse the camera operator defect (relied on autofocus - dumb mistake)

Took loads of pictures to show the worst bits but I may need to find another way to document all this. The site only allows 10 pictures to be attached and doesn't support in line images so I can't even host on my own server and link to them. I may need to spin up a website for it.

Cleans up nice

The passenger side sill - note the tiny hole at the rear - I sure didn't see that and I've thumped and squeezed the sills pretty hard along their entire length.

Drivers side floor inside passenger side is the same

I bought a new antenna mast, which is fine except the rest of the darn antenna is missing ... that sucks

·
19,677 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

It's definitely going to be a labour of love, but at least the previous owner did the right thing by protecting the undersides.

Looking forward to seeing the progress in the future!(y)

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Have a good look at the bottom of the rad/condensor area, from memory this is known to collect leaves/muck and hold moisture where you don't want it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This area ? I did find a coil where I didn't expect to find it along with the barn dust that covered the car (not sure how this coil is supposed to work), I could see a little of the bottom but I confess I didn't poke around much at the front. The car is now covered again and there are monsoon rains outside, I'd need a snorkel to lay on the floor at the minute and this rains supposed to be even worse tomorrow. I suppose the fact that it has been dry stored for the last 17 years hasn't hurt it too much as any water has long since dried out (until the barn dust was washed off).

I will have a poke around down there though, I also need to pop the door cards off, I've been on the hunt for tin worm so that I can stop it breeding at least for now, I don't plan to let the car get wet again until I'm good and ready.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Found a post elsewhere that's pretty interesting - actually a lot of posts by an XJS wizard out in Stralia - Grant Francis - this lead to me finding this image .. seems like the crud gets between the AC condenser and the radiator.

So although I was planning some refurb the stuff I've found means I am taking it a step further, not only am I replacing the hoses but I'm going to pull the bonnet and remove the radiator and the water pump and both thermostats and flush the block as much as possible. I already have belts and pipes on order, time to add to the order as I'd like to get this buttoned up before winter rolls in, I have real problems with the hands when temperatures drop.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've not posted much because beyond emptying the bank rapidly I've not done a lot to the car - the weather simply sucked - until today ..

So what progress, I got my 'ramps' - except they're not ramps - I bought a pair of quickjacks (BL-5000SLX) - these are essentially sill jacks and will allow me to remove subframes as and when. Because I don't want them only for the XJS I bought the SLX on purpose. If anyone elss is planning this be aware that in order to use with an XJS you will also require the 'extension' part that converts the SLX into an EXT - without this the SLX is too short for the XJS - but it is perfect for my Scimitars etc.

So today was spent figuring out the Quickjack and cleaning all the leather forward of the B pillar with a toothbrush and Dr Leather, the drivers seat is pretty tired but good enough for now. The line on the centre console is not a shaddow !!

The drivers seat before with a sample clean ...

End result isn't too bad but the drivers seat needs a lot more TLC.

I would offer one word of caution for somebody considering resurrecting a similar big cat - the costs will not be insignificant - tomorrow we sort out the roof dents and associated trim.

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Little worth doing is cheap. :(

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Isn't that the truth, I find the hours available to do stuff aren't matching the programme too - darn weather - but alas garage is occupied (not that the XJS would fit even if it wasn't - shelves full of spares for the other cars - besides a car with no windows).

I want to get enough done to MOT before winter sets in for real, I've ordered an outdoor Carcoon into which the car will be placed - so a lot of major jobs I want to do before this happens because they're not the easiest things to get a car in and out of.

Just about the only thing left to buy is brake calipers but I'm going to assess the current ones first. I could also do with an internal spring compressor such as the JD 6G but hens teeth are easier to find in the UK, loads of 'similar' stuff in the USA !!

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
I doubt I shall ever run out of jobs to do on Buttercup, and that is eight years in! Garage therapy at its finest.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The 'quickjacks' appealed to me too as I don't have enough room (width or height) in my garage to install a lift, although I think a lift is better value for money. Of all the semi-portable lifting devices, the quickjack solution seems to offer the most flexibility.

What put me off a bit was the absence of a mains powered version (at least in the UK). I assume you've gone for the battery pack version? I would be interested to hear how you get on with it. The BL-5000SLX is the one I'd considered too. I'm no longer in the first flush of youth, so how easy (or otherwise) do you find it to move around?

·
Super Moderator
20,353 Posts
Get a scissor lift like Tony’s if you can’t fit a post lift.

·
Registered
621 Posts
D3ggy, unfortunately, I don't have enough width in the garage to install even a scissor lift and still have room to move easily around the car - plus the garage already has five bicycles and two motorcycles (plus a hydraulic lift bench) in there already.

My house was built in the 1930's and cars were a lot smaller then - the Luftwaffe flattened it in 1941 and when it was rebuilt in 1945, a bigger garage would have been a priority for me, but I wasn't around at that time to direct the rebuilding work!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Scissor lifts for me also are a no go.

1) I need to be able to do this outside
2) I need the area between the sills clear of all obstruction, many of the scissor lifts available occupy all the space between them,

So it was these or a post lift, installing a post lift outside by the time I'd bought the lift and had a foundation done simply wasn't a financial option, that and the posts would become a permanent obstruction - so I decided against - I have a number of cars and need to play juggle the cars occasionaly - an permanent obstruction wouldn't be welcome.

Yep I went for the battery version, I have plenty of batteries laying around, some of them quite large, they weren't up to being on a car but work just fine for this.

I'm 60 and whilst they're not exactly light I manage to move them around and I have arthritis in the hands and to some extent hips, not saying it is the easiest thing but I managed. They have wheels but I may make some larger ones. I'll be getting some decent marine ply so sit them on instead of them being on the hard ground but I've retained the ply they were packed in for now.

They seem to work well except I can't use in anger now until the frame extension arrives - I'll take some pics of them in service as soon as I get them (weather permitting of course)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Attacked the roof - two reasons

1 : Whilst the car was a barn ornament it was also a barn shelf - scratches and dents
2 : The roof lining was hanging down to the seats

The roof lining and its support were in real poor condition, in fact the foundation started crumbling - and I wasn't rough with it - whatever they used to bond these things clearly doesn't stand the test of time. I managed so resolve many of the dents, although one to the rear is being a little stubborn. There is no reference for the dents inside as the finish is matt, you can't feel them either, I was compelled to work with the force, not visible in the image below but I know it needs more work. I've also done a fair bit of paint correction but some of the scratches are fare too deep to eliminate and will require the services of a paint shop at some point in the future. There is also a dent where something was dropped by the rear window, got a lot of it out but it won't pull out any further, I'll have another go at it at some point. The arthritis alas got the better of me so this is pretty much and I had to pack in for the day.

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Good work. I like to see the odd scratch/small dent on an older car, makes them more "real" somehow, a little patina
stops them becoming over-restored trailer queens.
Whilst Buttercup shines up nicely, she has her fair share of "war wounds" from her 47 yrs of use, and I like it that way.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I hear that for sure, I don't plan on creating a trailer or garage queen, although it will spend a good part of winter in a carcoon but that is to limit the opportunities of the tin worm, it gets brutally damp here in winter, so much so that the ground is often wet for days without there having been any rain. I had it under a cover but when I took the cover off there was condensation everywhere - so much for a breathable cover. I have two real enemies - trees, the moss and detritis from them and those damn feathered things that live in them and indiscriminately ***t everywhere. Basically some sort of cover at the bottom of my driveway isn't an optional item.

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Buttercup must consider herself lucky to live in a de-humidified garage then. :giggle:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well what a day - dodging rain, finding suitable tools ( all my old imperial stuff !! ), trying to cram arthritic hands into confined spaces, not sure which part of the day was the more unpleasant - and the batteries died on the camera so no pics.

Managed to get a good portion off the front off the engine - belts, fan etc etc (man oh man what a faff that is), the water balance pipework, thermostats etc but the scale of this challenge is really ramping up, that is of course if I want to get this engine back running before the real nasty weather hits so that I can get the car into the carcoon (which it can't do until the engine runs again).

If I want to clean up pipes and the fan shroud and paint them it is going to take much longer than anticipated (and it makes sense to do them while they're off (except the fan shroud isn't and the bottom bolt on it is siezed - I've zero intention of breaking that thing off so now I must wait until the extensions for the quickjacks are here so I can get under there rather than fight it from up top.

I think this car has really been cared about by the previous owner (sadly deceased) - I flushed the cooling system and it is absolutely spotless, all that came out was antifreeze / coolant - zero sludge, zero discoloration, the inside of the thermostat housings are totally corrosion free, the heater can flow more water than my hose can push through it so I get the feeling this has all been done before.

The radiator actually looks new (although I've not taken it out) but now I can see the back of it the fins are not those of a radiator that has done many miles. Pulling the radiator is going to be a challenge since the top retaining plate has a bunch of relays and other electrical crud all over the engine side - all hail Lucas god of darkness - and I can't get the bottom hose off the radiator - lord only knows how the previous owner / Jaguar got the clip on there as I can get nothing on the clip to slacken it off, I'm tempted to Dremel the son of a bitch off tomorrow but the hose is absolutely fine so I'd rather not damage it even though I do have new ones.

Tomorrow we pull the intake manifolds etc. then clean up the valley of death, then change the plugs. At least then I can work on the manifolds, refurb the injectors etc indoors, I also have new wire and connectors so I'll build a new injector harness and relocate it out of death valley (the term used by V12 owners for the space between the inlet manifolds, I'll also be moving the ignition amplifier off the top of the engine and sticking it at the front where things are cooler. I need the camera working before I pull all this stuff apart though so I can take a gazillion pictures - I detest the electrics on older cars - flaky is a polite word.

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
You have to love old cars, lol.

Only this week, after months of running just fine, Buttercup decided that idling was not an option until I reset the tickover speed completely.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts