Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here begins the resurrection of a 1987 XJS V12 Jaguar, I've linked some images as it is now, sitting on the driveway, I have a partial shopping list done, This car hasn't moved much since 2003, it has been sat following the passing of its owner, pushed to the back of a store and pretty much forgotten. Changing plans meant that space was required, the owners decided that they were going to do nothing with it - and so I now have it. Last MOT expired July 2003, I am the first new owner since February 1999. There is some blistering in places but there is no rot whatsoever underneath, the car has been waxoyled from new, the sills, floor and subframes are solid.

Some of the eagle eyed may have spotted this on a well known auction site, I found it while looking for other stuff. The car that can be seen in the background is a 1977 Reliant Kitten, in one of the interior images you can see the yellow bonnet of my Sabre (yeh I have a thing about cats) - got a lot of projects.

It is now running and driving, starts first turn of the key, feels a little wierd to drive for sure after the SV. it is now parked awaiting the following, I will be detailing some of the jobs since I feel recording these tasks may be useful to others - this is just the beginning ....

New brake lines, I will decide when I do these whether to replace discs and refurb calipers.
New fuel lines
New Coolant Hoses
New Plugs - easier to do when I have the injectors off for retubing - kit for this already ordered - Injector Service
New fluids and cooling system flush, oil will be replaced with fully synthetic 20R50, not decided on the oil for the auto box
New fuel filter and a fuel tank internal inspection
New oil filter
New autobox filter - need a vacuum oil removal tool as there is no drain plug that I can see.
All drive belts will be replaced
Tyres are in reasonable condition since the car has been stored indoors for the last 20 years in reasonable conditions, they're a little too old, they will do for now.
The headlining is the standard bedouin tent - replacement ordered - Headlining
Saddle soap and associated interior detailing stuff already on the shelf
Number of storage scratches where things have been put on top of car
No owners manual / tools / documentation - will be seeking some in decent condition - still haven't found the jack ...
Bonnet support / gas struts inoperative - need to research the correct ones a little more before ordering
I suspect that the suspension bushings will all need replacing
I am looking for a full workshop manual and parts lists so that I can be sure to obtain the correct parts - there are a lot of variations.

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
That cat looks awesome! Good luck with its resurrection. And please keep us posted of progress.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Lovely.

Make sure the auto box oil is the exact correct spec, old slush boxes will go haywire and break if not.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm currently trying to sort out the correct oils - looking like a dexron for sure in the auto box (General Motors Turbo-Hydramatic 400 transmission) but I'm still exploring - theoretically a Dexron III would be the newer formulation - I've already ordered the filter and pan gasket. There seems to be some conflict whether engine oil should be 20w50 or 10w40, the antifreeze is ethylene glycol stuff so I ordered some Granville Sub Zero. For the engine oil I'm more inclined to seek out a full synthetic in the appropriate viscosity. Brake fluid is a standard Dot 4 so Castrol DOT4 fully synthetic for that one.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
You nutter!

Good luck though. Braver than me!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Very nice, good luck!

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
That is one mega project you have started on. Congratulations and good luck on bringing a big cat back to life!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun. I'd love a V12 XJS.

You speak of the coolant being Glycol based... Is it feasible to change it to newer OAT orange/red coolant without too many issues? Obviously it'll need a really good flush through first though as they're not compatible at all.

I was under the impression that the newer stuff was a lot better for aluminium components etc?

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
Can I suggest a name for the car?
Lazarus

Of course, you'd then have to start calling yourself Jesus.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Experience with coolant on the MG is to stick with what was recommended. Thankfully my local motor factor carries a range of ‘Classic’ fluids.

Newer coolants are intended for all alloy engines with more plastic components and are not suitable for cast iron blocks or other iron or copper based engine parts.

This is quite a good read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lazarus - hmmm - not sure about the other bit - I'm sure that I'll call it a lot of other names before I'm done.

I'm absolutely unsure on using OAT, I do know that they don't mix well so every trace would need removing, I may remove the radiator and flush depending what comes out as all research tells me that the cooling system must be 100% in the V12's. The problem with the ethylene glycol stuff is the two yearly changes that aren't optional.

I'll research this but for now I have ordered the old fashioned stuff, my initial goal is to turn this into a driveable project initially, not another pile of parts on the driveway, the only thing that I do know is that when temperatures fall and the gritters start go out this car is going no place - very much a summer only and preferably dry day cat - most domestic cats do hate water after all.

So far the bill for parts and fluids stands at £1250 just for the basic stuff just to recommission, that said £92 was a vacuum oil extractor, £99 was an original 1987 XJS owners pack since the car unfortunately came without, I've also delayed/cancelled the roof lining - may have a go at recovering the original since the 'new' ones apparently lack some of the soundproofing benefits - that and these cars never had a fibreglass roof liner. Oils and fluids stands at £333.57, various hoses, belts, filters, plugs, brake pipes, wiper blades, bonnet gas struts etc stands at £588, the injector service kit £98 (the one I selected originally was incorrect). Opie oils are supplying the bulk of the fluids, britishparts.co.uk the hoses etc, there are plenty of places selling XJS parts but britishparts had pretty much everything whereas the other suppliers did not (and I'm not a fan of hassle).

I do need to find a few other parts but these are entirely cosmetic - some boot trim is missing as is the toolkit (jack etc), for some reason the rear carpets and sound proofing are also missing although there is no evidence that it has ever been wet back there.

Based on what I've paid out I still believe that I could recover more than I've put in so I'm not too stressed right now, values of these cars are rising, a good example can raise £12000, a mint example £20000. I remember what I sold mine for many years ago :(

·
Registered
621 Posts
Lovely machine in a lovely colour and if has been Waxoyled from new with no rot, then you have something worth restoring / keeping. I've always liked the XJS. For me it falls into the very limited 'extremely desirable' category of Jaguar along with the E-type and XK.
Keep us posted on progress :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely no rot, condition underneath blew me away - definitely a keeper - I haven't behaved rationally or logically, as soon as I saw the condition I paid the asking price, basically I've blown a conservatory re roof budget and also a portion of a bathroom refurb, sold it to the missus as an investment but I'm sure many here realise that isn't the whole truth.

Is it perfect - of course not - if it had been I wouldn't have paid less than £7k for it (including delivery !). It is just a pity that the bits missing were located in the late owners house or garage some place and got disposed because the relevance wasn't identified.

Tempted to go do something but heavy rain is forecast and the cover is on - looks like shitty weather all week - at least it will keep me focused on the day job.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Good luck with it - I'm sure it will be worth it.

A friend of my father had a couple of XJS's back in the 1979's / 80's and I had a go in them. When your daily driver is a 1.6L Cavalier and you get a run in a XJS, the memory stays with you. I couldn't believe how something so big (at the time) could go round corners so fast and travel in such silence. Even at 'How fast officer?' speeds it was eerily quiet - great machine.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
...sold it to the missus as an investment but I'm sure many here realise that isn't the whole truth...
You're safe on here Ben.. ;)

Dave (@Ancill ) is well versed in using man maths when having conversations with his other half about car/motor cycle expenditure.. and would no doubt offer help or guidance if needed!.. :D

Reactions: Statler

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
Could not recommend him, seems he pays for his "freedoms" in Evoque-sized chunks.

@Ben- take no chances with those tyres, at that age they will be very hardened and possibly cracking.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
at this point I could make a very non PC joke ... i shall refrain from doing so but for sure freedoms have a price - bribery and corruption starts at home.

·
Registered
20,258 Posts
Hasn't BB (Brake Buster) got an XJS? Maybe a source of advice going forward.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wasn't aware of that site, it hasn't appeared in my search sessions - appreciated and bookmarked. My biggest challenge to date is sorting out the conflicting information, there doesn't really seem to be a definitive list of the variations in parts on these cars and boy are there a lot, it was difficult to get a concensus on fluids so I went with gut and experience based on numerous searches.

I have ordered a couple of workshop manuals on DVD but I hope they're better than the XF workshop manual I have (which seems written based on an assumption that you've attended Jaguar training and misses out simple but essential information).

If anyone is selling some decent vehicle lift type ramps I'd be interested - my ramps have a low approach angle and are quite long but regrettably the approach angle is still too steep for the XJS. Looking for something like this >> Wheel Ramps

1 - 20 of 84 Posts