Jaguar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
It still doesn't switch automatically. At least AA now has a toggle between auto/day/night. Putting it into Night only lasts until the next power down so means having to go into the menu and change it at the start of any night drive. Annoying, yes, but hardly needed at this time of year.

I wish that and the other niggles were a simple enough fix to have had something done about them by now. Even so, none are enough for me to revert to stock and lose Waze from the screen and app audio.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
This still hasn't been fixed 😯?
I really thought that would have been soughted out by now😏

It still doesn't switch automatically. At least AA now has a toggle between auto/day/night. Putting it into Night only lasts until the next power down so means having to go into the menu and change it at the start of any night drive. Annoying, yes, but hardly needed at this time of year.

I wish that and the other niggles were a simple enough fix to have had something done about them by now. Even so, none are enough for me to revert to stock and lose Waze from the screen and app audio.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Doesn't CarPlay use the mode the phone is set to? There's also an option in Waze to set the mode.

The Problem was with the head unit itself, I've been sent a new one and all the flickering has gone and it's as it should be. Again I can only praise the service.
Hi Paul - good to hear that you’re recovering. I’m also impressed with the service and support. I contacted the supplier and mentioned your video and the problem with displaying >999 km (and the flickering). They told me that they would sort that out with you and that the problem was fixed at their end.

I also mentioned that I would be travelling overseas for the next month (in NZ at the moment) and they also offered to get in touch with me on my return. They also said that the software was still being tweaked and that a night mode was being considered, but that it was unlikely to be fully automatic since different cars send different signals to switch the display (or dim it). Seems like different implementations of Android have different inbuilt functionality with the hardware.

still considering all the available options here: I don’t object to screens protruding, so long as the functionality and legibility is worth it. I just can’t face the overall cost of the inbuilt units, when I may not have the car for more than 4-5 years.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
Hi Paul - good to hear that you’re recovering. I’m also impressed with the service and support. I contacted the supplier and mentioned your video and the problem with displaying >999 km (and the flickering). They told me that they would sort that out with you and that the problem was fixed at their end.

I also mentioned that I would be travelling overseas for the next month (in NZ at the moment) and they also offered to get in touch with me on my return. They also said that the software was still being tweaked and that a night mode was being considered, but that it was unlikely to be fully automatic since different cars send different signals to switch the display (or dim it). Seems like different implementations of Android have different inbuilt functionality with the hardware.

still considering all the available options here: I don’t object to screens protruding, so long as the functionality and legibility is worth it. I just can’t face the overall cost of the inbuilt units, when I may not have the car for more than 4-5 years.
Hi Ivanov,
Yeh the flickering display has been fixed it was a problem with the head unit, which also caused a starting problem with the car. A new one was sent and now have no problems at all and even found out that Android Auto works wireless 👍
I personally believe its worth the investment if you're keeping the car a few years and will help sell the car when the time comes.

I have just spent a couple of days away which involved a fair bit of time sitting in slow moving motorways queues. I was surprised by the number of cars that I observed that have 'tablet' type screens mounted on the dash, from small hatchbacks to top end cruisers, they are pretty much standard these days. I was also thinking how the screen would look on the XF and how easy it would be to 'read' being set a little higher than the original. I am slowly liking this idea more and more.

Discussion starter · #66 ·
I have just spent a couple of days away which involved a fair bit of time sitting in slow moving motorways queues. I was surprised by the number of cars that I observed that have 'tablet' type screens mounted on the dash, from small hatchbacks to top end cruisers, they are pretty much standard these days. I was also thinking how the screen would look on the XF and how easy it would be to 'read' being set a little higher than the original. I am slowly liking this idea more and more.
Yeh I know what you mean and I personally find it a lot easier with the bigger screen. As I've said when I first saw this screen I didn't like it. Now a year down the road and seeing so many cars with this display it really doesn't look out of place 😁

I’m driving a rental car (Toyota Corolla) in New Zealand at the moment - it’s at least 5 and possibly 8-10 years old (NZ does this with cheaper rentals). It has sat-nav in a pop-up screen. Frustratingly difficult interface (seems like Toyota was late to the game with flat panel interfaces), but big enough to see, and use.

Hey Paul - trusting that you're out of hospital and recovered (I hope so, anyway!). A few more questions about the unit, now that you've had some hotter weather to test it in. Does the unit dim along with the Jaguar instrument panel dimming control, or does it use it's own control on-screen? Does the reversing camera display function as before, with moving lines as the steering wheel turns, for example? And did you get to test the voice and sound quality of phone conversations at all? (this is something that people seem to overlook!). You mentioned that you added a £5 filter for the aux input - any info on where you got it from and where you added it in? Cheers.

Discussion starter · #71 ·
Hey Paul - trusting that you're out of hospital and recovered (I hope so, anyway!). A few more questions about the unit, now that you've had some hotter weather to test it in. Does the unit dim along with the Jaguar instrument panel dimming control, or does it use it's own control on-screen? Does the reversing camera display function as before, with moving lines as the steering wheel turns, for example? And did you get to test the voice and sound quality of phone conversations at all? (this is something that people seem to overlook!). You mentioned that you added a £5 filter for the aux input - any info on where you got it from and where you added it in? Cheers.
Hi and sorry about the very long delay didn't realise you'd written 🙄
To be honest I haven't tried the dimming with the instrument panel as it dims automatically when the lights go on and you can set the brightness for day and night in the settings 😎 the reversing Camera is the original system so everything stays the same. The phone quality is good but we've figured out you need to connect your mobile phone to both the Android unit and car for it to work so it seams to use the cars mike for it 👍
The android unit uses the cars aux in but it's hard wired into the cables so you don't physically have to connect a wire to the aux port in the car.
Any more questions just drop me a PM👍

Thanks Paul - I'm still hesitating but mostly because I've got other priorities just now: my XF's entire coolant system is acting like a steam engine (i.e. lots of leaks from driver's side auxiliary radiator and under the newly-fitted coolant expansion tank. Looks like I'm up for some expensive repairs next week.

I see the latest XF (2021) has a tablet type touch screen as standard. They have become the norm...

Vehicle Car Gear shift Speedometer White

Much like when the Ford Sierra first came out all those years ago, many went yuk at it's curvy lines as the norm was angular cars. We'll soon take the tablet-stuck-on-the-dash as normal.

Reactions: RickJagXF
Thanks Chris, this looks interesting, it looks like it is plug and play into the original head unit?

Thanks Chris, this looks interesting, it looks like it is plug and play into the original head unit?
Yeah, I think they all work the same. They connect to the sat nav input, so you lose JagNav (no real loss) and everything is accessed through there.

I've just tried fitting the Android unit but am getting a blank screen when I try to access the original unit. Can still hear beeps from pressing where the buttons would be and can go back to the Android screen ok.
Support are being useless so I'm thinking of returning the unit which I thankfully bought via Amazon.
Paul, I have followed your YouTube videos. Any further ideas?
One thing I did notice is that the model number of your head unit is different to mine. I have a 10e889 one whereas yours is 14f667.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts