Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next year or so I'm looking at trading in the SV8 for one of the above.

For the majority of my journeys I could just about manage on electric only, with the backup of having an engine for longer journeys.

I believe they have about a 15-25mile (electric only) range depending on how and when used.

Does anyone have any experience with them at all?

One thing id like to know more about is the HVAC on them. Sounds like they have an electric powered heater. But not sure about AC. And how that affects battery life? Fairly sure they also have a preheat function so you can warm up the car while it's still plugged in.

Any thoughts great fully received....

·
Super Moderator
11,600 Posts
My son in law has got a BMW 330E and rarely uses the electric power, just keeps filling it with petrol. Only chose it for the tax benefit.

·
Super Moderator
27,536 Posts
Surprised you’ve gone straight to those cars. But then there’s no full hybrid Jag saloon at the minute so I guess that’s off the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't afford brand new, which would rule out a lot of cars. My budget is about £25k max.
I'm a private cash buyer so don't need to worry about benefit in kind etc.

Gives me a reasonable choice of sub 50k mile models.

I do about 6 miles to work, 6 miles home so should be fine on mostly electric. I do some longer journeys every other month or so.

I did look at the VW golf E, but they're not exactly quick when you want them to be and the range isn't brilliant either.

I wouldn't mind an early model S too, but they're on the budget limit for a high miler low spec.

I do like my SV8, and doing lowish mileage it isn't a massive issue with fuel, but it's getting on a bit now and I expect it'll start running away with my wallet in the next few years. Tax is a bit of a bummer too with it.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Administrator
28,196 Posts
I have a friend with a 330e, which he likes a lot. Only been in it once myself, but it certainly seemed to pull well, and was refined at the cruise.

·
Super Moderator
27,536 Posts
A friend of mine used to have a 330e as a company car, he loved it, but he was a big BMW nut.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never owned a BMW, and not really been in that many of them either to be fair. I expect it'll be reasonably well made perhaps lacking a bit of the soul the jags have.

·
Super Moderator
27,536 Posts
I've not had one for a few years now (2011 I sold it) and yeah it was fine, at the time I loved it but I bought a Volvo V60 afterwards and I loved that more. It had more character. It wasn't RWD, but that didn't bother me at the time.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think they're available with xdrive too, but they're out of the price range again. Guess I've managed fine with the XF for the 6 years I've had it....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a c350e hybrid , its a fast car ,clever car, cheap to run car, at the moment range is about 9miles ,its not my daily car but i can go shopping and it actually prefers short journeys, free road tax etc ,much much better kit than my 2010 x250 .

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
I've not had one for a few years now (2011 I sold it) and yeah it was fine, at the time I loved it but I bought a Volvo V60 afterwards and I loved that more. It had more character. It wasn't RWD, but that didn't bother me at the time.
A Volvo lol, nothing like telling the world you have given up on life 🤣

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
In the next year or so I'm looking at trading in the SV8 for one of the above.

For the majority of my journeys I could just about manage on electric only, with the backup of having an engine for longer journeys.

I believe they have about a 15-25mile (electric only) range depending on how and when used.

Does anyone have any experience with them at all?

One thing id like to know more about is the HVAC on them. Sounds like they have an electric powered heater. But not sure about AC. And how that affects battery life? Fairly sure they also have a preheat function so you can warm up the car while it's still plugged in.

Any thoughts great fully received....
Do you need such a big car, there are other options if you decide on smaller.

Personally, I would drive them both and make up your own mind, although a little difficult in the current lockdown

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
No idea. It handled quite well. 5 pot diesel sounded alright.
They've got quite a nice 'lumpyness' to them haven't they, quite a 'signature'..

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you need such a big car, there are other options if you decide on smaller.

Personally, I would drive them both and make up your own mind, although a little difficult in the current lockdown
I've two kids and we usually use the car a couple of times a year for a UK break so it is good to have the space.

I've even had a roof box on the XF (saloon) going to Scotland as there simply wasn't enough room.

I even thought about the 330e estate, but again, out of budget....

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
I've two kids and we usually use the car a couple of times a year for a UK break so it is good to have the space.

I've even had a roof box on the XF (saloon) going to Scotland as there simply wasn't enough room.

I even thought about the 330e estate, but again, out of budget....
Ahh, didn‘t realise you had children, I agree, even a 3 series would be too small.

Is there a specific reason for avoiding diesel, the BMW diesels return huge mpg

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
No idea. It handled quite well. 5 pot diesel sounded alright.
Great engine that 5 pot, Volvo only build 4 pots now and limit them to 112mph 🙄

1 - 20 of 27 Posts