Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just read couple of disturbing articles about reliability of Ford 3.0 diesle engines, which are being implemented in Jags. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AJD-V6/PSA_DT17

I read mostly about crankshaft and ripped cam belts problems mostly.

I was just wondering what are oyu experiences with this engine and what shall I be aware of, since I am owner of that car now too.

thanks for any useful tips and answers.

·
Administrator
30,009 Posts
The broken crank issue seems mainly to affect Land Rovers, not Jaguars.

Regular oil and filter changes, and attention to service intervals for the timing belt(s) should see you OK.

Reactions: Majagua

·
Super Moderator
12,328 Posts
2012 XFS Portfolio 3.0D I had for nearly 5 years and 40k miles had no workshop attention other than its annual services and some rear brake pads.

·
20,244 Posts
2012 XFS Portfolio 3.0D I had for nearly 5 years and 40k miles had no workshop attention other than its annual services and some rear brake pads.
Likewise;
2009 XFS Portfolio 3.0 Diesel for 5 years - not once did the engine give any problems.
2017 XF Sport 3.0 Diesel, 2 yrs - engine didn't miss a beat.

Current XF Sport 3.0 Petrol, 2 yrs - not been a problem so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Likewise;
2009 XFS Portfolio 3.0 Diesel for 5 years - not once did the engine give any problems.
2017 XF Sport 3.0 Diesel, 2 yrs - engine didn't miss a beat.

Current XF Sport 3.0 Petrol, 2 yrs - not been a problem so far.
uuf, thanks your post calms my mind haha, Yesterday I was bit stressed after reading all those problems with engine, so its scered the shit out of me. Eventhough Petrol engines are quite better then diesel ones I read.

·
Registered
21,862 Posts
My 3-litre v6 diesel XF (X250) had the following issues over the 100,000 miles that I had it;
Split intercooler
Secondary turbo valve actuator
AC compressor
But I was never left stranded at the roadside. And the engine was running sweetly up to the very end. RIP.

Reactions: jokurka

·
Administrator
30,009 Posts
One issue that has been seen by a few members here though is splits in the plastic intake manifold/cam covers. There is a school of thought that over-boosting caused by a gunged-up manifold pressure sensor can make this happen. Easy to clean.

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Don't forget, many, many more people will post their "oh woe is me, my car blew up" threads than will say "today, all went well".

·
20,244 Posts
uuf, thanks your post calms my mind haha, Yesterday I was bit stressed after reading all those problems with engine, so its scered the shit out of me. Eventhough Petrol engines are quite better then diesel ones I read.
They are basically the same engine at heart.

Diesel has two 'sequential' turbos.

Petrol has a supercharger, oh and spark plugs.

Apart from that - I think the internals are the same in the engine block.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts