Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

When using the paddles and giving it some power, the shift from 4th to 5th seems to give a ‘clunk’ when shifting.

Note the clunk isn’t there if not giving it some power nor is the clunk there if leaving it in full auto.

Given I’ve only had the car little over a month, I’m thinking to start with a gearbox service to see if it remedies the issue.

Anyone else have experience of these symptoms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The gearbox should have had a fluid change at around 60,000 miles, ZF's recommendation, not Jaguar's who say the gearbox is sealed for life but omit to define what "life" is. What mileage do you have on the car? A little caution with the gearbox fluid change, no high pressure flush, only a low pressure flush if it is done at all. A low pressure flush will change more of the fluid than no flush.

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

It’s on 95k. Can’t see anywhere in the service history RE a gearbox service so I’ll crack on!

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yep change the oil as Alan says. After changing mine it stopped a slight clunk when going into drive and improved changes etc. As Alan said above don't flush it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further development on the post - clunk still there (not serviced yet tho), just done a 100 mi drive.

Twice on the trip it popped out of gear and displayed gearbox fault. Both times I was under what can only be described as ‘mid load’ one time overtaking and one time going up a slight incline.

I really hope it’s not the wear on the internal clutches.

This guys symptoms sound very close to mine jumps out of gear

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
"Popping" out of gear is not normal operation at all, coupled with you saying it "clunks" the gearbox sounds like it has a fault and something(s) is/are worn. A fluid change may fix all but I wouldn't hold your breath as these gearboxes are normally very reliable.

Given I’ve only had the car little over a month
Private purchase or from a dealer? If dealer, take it straight back and state the gearbox has a fault. Unfortunately, rejecting a used car isn't that easy and the garage must be allowed to fix the fault. If the fault is still present after they have attempted repair, only then can you reject it. If it was a private purchase, I'd suggest you should have the car examined by a ZF certified gearbox garage for a diagnostic before just hoping a fluid change will fix all the issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Popping" out of gear is not normal operation at all, coupled with you saying it "clunks" the gearbox sounds like it has a fault and something(s) is/are worn. A fluid change may fix all but I wouldn't hold your breath as these gearboxes are normally very reliable.

Private purchase or from a dealer? If dealer, take it straight back and state the gearbox has a fault. Unfortunately, rejecting a used car isn't that easy and the garage must be allowed to fix the fault. If the fault is still present after they have attempted repair, only then can you reject it. If it was a private purchase, I'd suggest you should have the car examined by a ZF certified gearbox garage for a diagnostic before just hoping a fluid change will fix all the issues.
I have contacted the garage that I purchased it from (private garage, not main dealer).

Initial response was that I have exceeded their 1 month / 1k mileage warranty - purchased on 02/07 and I have done 1100 miles.

I just responded with I was wanting to exercise my consumer rights, sent them a link to the consumer rights act and am currently waiting for them to come back.

During a journey yesterday it came out of gear twice and both times in full auto. I think it would have been around the rev range for wanting to go from 4th to 5th so I think something is definitely awry with that part of the box, assuming I’m right that there are two sides, gears 1-2-3 and gears 4-5-6.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I just responded with I was wanting to exercise my consumer rights, sent them a link to the consumer rights act and am currently waiting for them to come back.
Many garages try to ignore this. As you are aware, in law, you have 6 months to advise any faults with the car and the garage have to prove they weren't there at time of sale to not have to fix or refund. Nothing to do with any warranties etc, this is scribed in consumer law.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What Alan said :)

Stand your ground with the garage as they’ll try and wriggle any way they can as a gearbox bill will likely be a big one!

David.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts