Jaguar Forum banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Fair enough.
Although that comparison must be quite old as it states the XJ as having a 6- speed box and 275 PS. The XJ has had the ZF 8-speed box since 2013 (I think) and the 3-litre V6 d, 300PS since MY 2016.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
I think looking at those figures, it's just technicalities.

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
I think looking at those figures, it's just technicalities.
I agree.

Except perhaps the 700N-m of torque I technically forgot to mention . . .

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,488 Posts
I agree.

my next poxy petrol 4 potter is only 60 short of that....before a box.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
So when does the Tesla run out of puff?
My XJ does the 0-60 in a very modest (by comparison) sub 6 seconds. But the thing is, you don't notice the 60 going by because it's still pulling like a train at 120 (I usually bottle it around then). And I'm sure Mr. A's M5 would be doing that all the way to 200.
So, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds is impressive stuff but if it then gives up not long after, it's just a gimmick.
Fair enough.
Although that comparison must be quite old as it states the XJ as having a 6- speed box and 275 PS. The XJ has had the ZF 8-speed box since 2013 (I think) and the 3-litre V6 d, 300PS since MY 2016.

I agree.

Mines only got 560nm of torque. It'd still comfortably pull ahead of yours almost all situations.

To suggest the Tesla would run out of puff before yours is fairly laughable. You'd probably have half a chance against a standard single motor Tesla, but the dual motor performance models... No chance.

I've even seen a video of a Audi RS6 struggling to get past it, even though it's got 600bhp and 800nm of torque. On paper it should demolish it, but the way electric torque is delivered is always the key.

I'd still rather have your XJ though every day. The quality and interior more than make up for it.

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
I agree about preferring my XJ over the Tesla (or the SV8).
But I never even suggested that the Tesla would flag before mine. It was a question.

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts
Mines only got 560nm of torque. It'd still comfortably pull ahead of yours almost all situations.

To suggest the Tesla would run out of puff before yours is fairly laughable. You'd probably have half a chance against a standard single motor Tesla, but the dual motor performance models... No chance.

I've even seen a video of a Audi RS6 struggling to get past it, even though it's got 600bhp and 800nm of torque. On paper it should demolish it, but the way electric torque is delivered is always the key.

I'd still rather have your XJ though every day. The quality and interior more than make up for it.
That’s assuming the Tesla has more than 85% charge and the battery is in the optimum temperature range or the performance drops a fair bit

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts
Runs out of puff well into license loss speeds.

Skip to 11:20

I’ve driven a lot of very fast cars, and ridden super bikes for over twenty years. The M3P isn’t the fastest outright of course, but it is bloody hilarious to drive on all kinds of roads.
Super bikes of yesteryear lol, try the current batch with 214 bhp and decent torque, I have had R1’s, an S1000RR, an Alrilia RSV4 Factory and these latest bikes are ridiculously fast in comparison

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts
Anyone suggesting 0-60 in less than 3.5 seconds is "not that fast" is just being silly. I thought my SV8 felt fast at 0-60 in 5ish seconds. 😂
I guess it all depends on what you are comparing it against

·
Administrator
27,415 Posts
That’s assuming the Tesla has more than 85% charge and the battery is in the optimum temperature range or the performance drops a fair bit
Like an M5 on anything but a high grip surface?

Launching a Tesla is simple compared to all the setup you have to do an M car to get it off the line quickly.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Super bikes of yesteryear lol, try the current batch with 214 bhp and decent torque, I have had R1’s, an S1000RR, an Alrilia RSV4 Factory and these latest bikes are ridiculously fast in comparison
I have a 2004 SV650 which is probably worth about £1000. It has 72bhp but in theory will do a 0-60 in 3.5 seconds or so. It'll run out of serious puff about 100 ish though and a top speed of 125 ish. Guess it puts those figures into perspective with the +150 bhp bikes that are getting more common these days.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Launching a Tesla is simple compared to all the setup you have to do an M car to get it off the line quickly.
I thought you had to do a 10 min battery warm up procedure on a Tesla to get the full mashings?

·
Administrator
27,415 Posts
I thought you had to do a 10 min battery warm up procedure on a Tesla to get the full mashings?
That's the Model S with the older 2170 cells.

Reactions: Phil1

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts

One button, M2 and she goes, nothing like the set up of the old M Cars

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts
I have a 2004 SV650 which is probably worth about £1000. It has 72bhp but in theory will do a 0-60 in 3.5 seconds or so. It'll run out of serious puff about 100 ish though and a top speed of 125 ish. Guess it puts those figures into perspective with the +150 bhp bikes that are getting more common these days.
There isn’t much between a 600cc and the hyper bikes, you just can’t get the power down, a Model 3 Performanc, will take off quicker than a bike from a standing start, but catch them from a rolling stat and they are history

·
Administrator
27,415 Posts
There isn’t much between a 600cc and the hyper bikes, you just can’t get the power down, a Model 3 Performance, will take off quicker than a bike from a standing start, but catch them from a rolling stat and they are history
The quickest bikes have always had 3 times the power to weight ratio of the quickest saloons.

·
Super Moderator
30,051 Posts
The quickest bikes have always had 3 times the power to weight ratio of the quickest saloons.
And then you add the portly rider 🤣

·
Administrator
27,415 Posts
And then you add the portly rider 🤣
True ... superbikes were once the realm of scrawny teenagers - now they're the preserve of middle aged operations directors.

161 - 180 of 187 Posts