Jaguar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
I’ve never done the top extraction before. Will you not have to get under the car and take the covers off anyway to change the oil filter?
If you want to make hard work of it, yes..

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
No real difference, but no extraction tube on the 2.0D (it has a dipstick) and we don’t know if the x260 supports this method or not.
I pushed a tube down and it worked a treat.

Why wouldn't simply putting a bung +tube ON the dipstick pipe itself not work?

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,379 Posts
I pushed a tube down and it worked a treat.

Why wouldn't simply putting a bung +tube ON the dipstick pipe itself not work?
We don’t know how far the dip stick tube goes down into the sump

·
Registered
13,379 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
I just checked and my car does have a dipstick - not sure why as it has an electronic reading as well. So does that mean that top extraction is a non-starter in my case?
No.
It means you put the thinnest tube down, seal with the bung and pump away.

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
Or pump it out using the larger bore dipstick tube and then see if you can extract any more using an inserted tube.
That's my idea 😃🤫

The thing with that is the massive void below...but let's not bring Katy Price into the convo..

• Wow
Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
"The oil filter housing has a service drain facility. When the cap is unscrewed 3-4 turns, a drain hole is opened allowing oil to
drain into the crankcase. This allows the oil filter element to be removed with no oil contamination of the engine or
surroundings".
Found this in the info on the ingenium kindly posted earlier. Might be an idea to crack open the oil filter cap before pumping or draining?

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
I just checked and my car does have a dipstick - not sure why as it has an electronic reading as well. So does that mean that top extraction is a non-starter in my case?
What engine do you have Dom?

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,042 Posts
"The oil filter housing has a service drain facility. When the cap is unscrewed 3-4 turns, a drain hole is opened allowing oil to
drain into the crankcase. This allows the oil filter element to be removed with no oil contamination of the engine or
surroundings".
Found this in the info on the ingenium kindly posted earlier. Might be an idea to crack open the oil filter cap before pumping or draining?
That's why I said in #30 to unscrew the oil filter housing, then suck the oil out of the sump, followed by changing the now drained filter. Seem to be going round in circles in this thread!

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,358 Posts
That's why I said in #30 to unscrew the oil filter housing, then suck the oil out of the sump, followed by changing the now drained filter. Seem to be going round in circles in this thread!
To be fair, I did loosen the filter a tad when I did mine.
I mentioned that in post #56

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
41 - 60 of 74 Posts