Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the replies. Going to give the 'sucking out' method a try first. If it works, will stick with that. Will report back how much (used) oil comes out. I've heard a normal drain normally gives out about 6 litres.

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,042 Posts
Check your oil suction pump is properly calibrated for volume, many are miles out. I simply added 1 litre of water at a time to mine and added labels as indicators, then added half division labels between so have calibrated 1/2 litre scale now.

Reactions: cbarr and RickJagXF

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
If the tank is quite opaque, then throw a good splash of a dark food colour in, if you have some handy. Any residual water left in the tank won't matter as you're throwing out the old oil anyway.

Reactions: cbarr

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi, I bought this one, more expensive than my last one but much, much better quality, I guess you get what you pay for. Phil
I’ve never done the top extraction before. Will you not have to get under the car and take the covers off anyway to change the oil filter?

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
The oil filter fitted to 3.0D V6, 3.0P V6 and 5.0P V8 are on the top of the engine, very easy to access once the engine cover is removed. I don't know about the newer Ingenium engines or the smaller diesels as never worked on them though.

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
I’ve never done the top extraction before. Will you not have to get under the car and take the covers off anyway to change the oil filter?
Filter sits at the top of the engine on the V6, Dom. Not sure about the 2-litre 4-pot.

Reactions: dom

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,379 Posts
Same on the Ingenium

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
There's no dipstick in the tube, oil level is electronic, on most of the engines. So the tube cap is removed, suction pipe attached over it and create vacuum to suck the oil out. But run the engine first for 5 mins or so to warm the oil and make extraction easier. Before sucking the oil, unscrew the oil filter housing but leave it in place, allowing the filter element to drain. Suck out the oil, change the filter, add the correct quantity of fresh oil via the filler cap. You'll get the exact same amount of oil out as removing the sump plug. Even on an engine that does have a dipstick, using a thin extraction tube pushed down the dipstick tube is easy and you'll know when the tube is at the bottom of the sump as you push it in as you can feel it. Changing the oil by top extraction is so simple, easy and clean, you could do it wearing a suit. Unless you're a messy worker and flick the oily tubes about...

Reactions: dom

·
Registered
432 Posts
There's no dipstick in the tube, oil level is electronic, on most of the engines. So the tube cap is removed, suction pipe attached over it and create vacuum to suck the oil out. But run the engine first for 5 mins or so to warm the oil and make extraction easier. Before sucking the oil, unscrew the oil filter housing but leave it in place, allowing the filter element to drain. Suck out the oil, change the filter, add the correct quantity of fresh oil via the filler cap. You'll get the exact same amount of oil out as removing the sump plug. Even on an engine that does have a dipstick, using a thin extraction tube pushed down the dipstick tube is easy and you'll know when the tube is at the bottom of the sump as you push it in as you can feel it. Changing the oil by top extraction is so simple, easy and clean, you could do it wearing a suit. Unless you're a messy worker and flick the oily tubes about...
That sounds great - thanks. According to my car I’m not due a service for 23,000 kms and it’s been 7,000 kms since the last one. So they reckon 30,000 kms or 18,000 miles between changes. Seems a bit long to me.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Modern cars seem to have excessively long oil change intervals, I wouldn't leave the oil in any car for 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So they reckon 30,000 kms or 18,000 miles between changes. Seems a bit long to me.
Now that I use the top extraction method and no longer have to bugger about jacking up the car, crawling underneath, fighting with the undertray and its rusty bolts and getting my hand/arm covered in hot oil when removing the sump plug, the oil changes are easy and take me less than an hour. The oil and filter last time cost me £40, so at that cost and less than an hour of my time, I am happy to change the oil every 9 to 10 months or 7,000 to 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
@dom
Can I suggest you have a look at my "how to" . . .

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
Yes, you need to have the engine/oil warmed up but then let it sit for 10 minutes to allow the oil to drain back into the sump before starting.
The extraction pipe terminates in the lowest part of the sump so as much of the oil as is possible to extract comes out.

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
So are there any negatives to the top extraction method and do you just stick the tube that comes with the suction pump down the dipstick opening? How can you be sure your getting right to the bottom of the sump?
I’m not sure, have you got the workshop manual, might give a clue.

Thats for the x250, Dom has a x260 so has a dipstick.
@dom
Can I suggest you have a look at my "how to" . . .
Ditto above

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I’m not sure, have you got the workshop manual, might give a clue.

Thats for the x250, Dom has a x260 so has a dipstick.

Ditto above
Hi Gav, the X260 doesn't have a dipstick, checking the oil level is electronic. Phil

·
Registered
13,379 Posts

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
If there is an extraction tube and the filter is on top of the engine, what's the difference in procedure?
No real difference, but no extraction tube on the 2.0D (it has a dipstick) and we don’t know if the x260 supports this method or not.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts