Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Thread moved to general discussion* - duplicate in "how to". Will repost there when solved! - my apologies to mods :()

About the embark on changing the oil. Downloaded the manual very kindly posted by @Statler Grateful for advice on where to put the axle stands. The graphic in the workshop manual doesn't appear to correspond to the underside of my X260 2017 with the ingenium diesel... The underside is covered in plastic with no clear place where to stick a stand.

Pic from Manual:
Rectangle Font Auto part Automotive exterior Engineering

Underside of mine - a sea of plastic... with single exhaust outlet going down driver's side.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

Is the suspension mounting point (about 1/3 in from right of pic and somewhat rusty) a safe place for an axle stand?
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Wood Auto part

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is it not possible to use the top extraction method on the X260?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Hi, as far as I am aware there is a tube under the bonnet for just this purpose. Phil

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Certainly the case on the 3-litre, V6 but does the 2-litre Ingenium engine have the same?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, never tried 'top extraction' method before! Is there a recommended pump / system to use? I'd still like to know what the axle stand points are though, if anyone can advise it'd that much appreciated.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,375 Posts
I just use the pinch welds where the scissor jack would fit.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
Push the flexi down the dipstick tube....or even simply use the dipstick tube itself.
Well, sort of. But the "proper" extraction tube on the V6 ends in the lowest point of the sump ensuring you suck out the maximum amount of oil possible. Not sure pushing a tube down the dipstick tube would ensure the same and I'm sure the dipstick tube itself doesn't even dip into the oil.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This 'how to' video relates to the X250 2.2D but I am sure it will be the same for the X260.

·
Registered
24,246 Posts
But the thread title says it's a 2.0d. Isn't that the Ingenium which a different animal to the 2.2d?

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,354 Posts
Well, sort of. But the "proper" extraction tube on the V6 ends in the lowest point of the sump ensuring you suck out the maximum amount of oil possible. Not sure pushing a tube down the dipstick tube would ensure the same and I'm sure the dipstick tube itself doesn't even dip into the oil.
The former worked for me.
The latter I've not tried.

·
Registered
146 Posts
But the thread title says it's a 2.0d. Isn't that the Ingenium which a different animal to the 2.2d?
It may well be, I am not sure, but I would think its worth checking out before crawling under the car, wrestling with the undertray and getting covered in oil ;)

·
Registered
13,375 Posts
Isn't that a bit difficult if there is a jack there?
No the pinch weld runs the length of the car, it’s just the plastic sill that has a cut out for the jack.there’s enough to get a hydraulic plus an axle stand

Reactions: cbarr

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No the pinch weld runs the length of the car, it’s just the plastic sill that has a cut out for the jack.there’s enough to get a hydraulic plus an axle stand
Thanks. I was wondering about that since the 'bit of weld' for the small scissor jack is really small. So, just to confirm, will it be ok to use any section of the weld near the scissor jack point?

I've read there is a special tool (from Jaguar) that allows you to suck the oil out of the dipstick hole. Had a look on the internet but couldn't find one. Anyone know if they are available on the open market?

·
Firm Rampant Member
22,354 Posts
Thanks. I was wondering about that since the 'bit of weld' for the small scissor jack is really small. So, just to confirm, will it be ok to use any section of the weld near the scissor jack point?

I've read there is a special tool (from Jaguar) that allows you to suck the oil out of the dipstick hole. Had a look on the internet but couldn't find one. Anyone know if they are available on the open market?
I have one for sale.
Used 3 times tops.

·
Registered
13,375 Posts

That’s what I‘ve done for years, no problem.
Cant help on oil as I’ve done it old school with the sump plug

Reactions: cbarr

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got one of these for extracting oil on my 3.0d X250. One of the tubes it came with fits snuggly over the extraction tube on engine. It also holds 6 ltrs of oil but I usually extract about 4 ltrs then empty container before sucking rest out.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Hi, I bought this one, more expensive than my last one but much, much better quality, I guess you get what you pay for. Phil

1 - 20 of 74 Posts