Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys hope ya'll well and good.

I've had my xfr for around 1 month now and I've just checked the oil for the 1st time (usually I'm better at this so slap on the wrists for me)

The car was warm and parked on a level surface and was left sitting for 10 mins, the gauge said it was ok but only half way up was showing.

The car has done just under 54k and was serviced 2 days before I collected it. It went on a 320 mile drive back from Glasgow then has spent the rest of the time being a run around and work car for myself. I would guess less than 500 miles in my ownership.

Does half way down the digital dipstick sound normal for 500 odd miles?

Regards

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all but I think I remember someone saying that they are sometimes underfilled as the techs put in the quantity required for the 3.0d which is less than the V8.

Perhaps it was underfilled?

Edit: I should add mine consumes around a litre every 3-5k miles, gets worse as the oil gets older but I'm pretty sure my issue is valve stem seal related.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't sound right at all but I think I remember someone saying that they are sometimes underfilled as the techs put in the quantity required for the 3.0d which is less than the V8.

Perhaps it was underfilled?
That's what I was thinking. What does half a gauge relate to in terms of volume? 1/2 litre?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
That's what I was thinking. What does half a gauge relate to in terms of volume? 1/2 litre?
Yep, the full bar is a litre. The car will tell you how much to add as and when. I think once you go to the next 'step' down it will say "add 0.5l".

·
Registered
22,317 Posts
I would trust what the car is telling you. Don't fret about the "gauge". It will tell you if you need to add any.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I’ve never had to add oil between my annual services (I do around 8k miles).

Reactions: MyIRRCat

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
You're also assuming that the garage that did the service topped it up/filled it up to the full mark, they may well not have.. just a thought.

Reactions: xfr-shrek

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Hi guys hope ya'll well and good.

I've had my xfr for around 1 month now and I've just checked the oil for the 1st time (usually I'm better at this so slap on the wrists for me)

The car was warm and parked on a level surface and was left sitting for 10 mins, the gauge said it was ok but only half way up was showing.

The car has done just under 54k and was serviced 2 days before I collected it. It went on a 320 mile drive back from Glasgow then has spent the rest of the time being a run around and work car for myself. I would guess less than 500 miles in my ownership.

Does half way down the digital dipstick sound normal for 500 odd miles?

Regards
I’ve had ‘issues‘ with oil level recently After a road trip to Austria. in the end there was no fault found after it kept showing ‘over fill’ on the trip. They drained the oil, filled it with 6.5 litres Drove it a bit, and drained and measured what came out. Then filled again and gave it back for a 1000 miles. Then they drained, measured and refilled again. However, only shows just over 1/2 on the gauge.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve had ‘issues‘ with oil level recently After a road trip to Austria. in the end there was no fault found after it kept showing ‘over fill’ on the trip. They drained the oil, filled it with 6.5 litres Drove it a bit, and drained and measured what came out. Then filled again and gave it back for a 1000 miles. Then they drained, measured and refilled again. However, only shows just over 1/2 on the gauge.
Strange,what would cause that?
Gimme a dip-stick any day of the week.......

·
Registered
22,317 Posts
Think of a dip-stick. There are two lines on it and to my mind, the correct level would be halfway between the two. So perhaps not so strange that the digital dip-stick shows the "normal" fill at halfway.

Reactions: Phil1 and Shrek

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Think of a dip-stick. There are two lines on it and to my mind, the correct level would be halfway between the two. So perhaps not so strange that the digital dip-stick shows the "normal" fill at halfway.
There will certainly be a decent level of safety behind that level too. You'd probably be able to go an amount under or over the level without too many issues.

·
Super Moderator
12,394 Posts
The face-lift XF I had came with the electronic oil level thing, half way along is the correct level. Whenever it went to Sturgess for a service it came back with the oil level gauge at half way which I was assured to be the correct level.

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So the car has stood for 24 hours, I've just checked it cold and it's now saying add 0.5L.....Confused.com I am. You would have thought that more oil would have drained back into the sump meaning a fuller reading would be given.

Also noticed the bonnet is hard to shut on the xf, took 2 slams to get the doors to lock and there is still movement on the passenger side. Are there adjustment points on this bonnet? If I ran my finger over the bonnet edge where it meets the top of the grill the passenger side appears to overhang more by a very slight amount.

- Edit.... just been for a second look and there are two (1 each side) screws poking up with a rubber on top which I'm guessing are the adjustments, the passenger side is around 10mm high and the driver side around 5-6mm high so I'm guessing that's where the issue is.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I tend to find the same, if I check it cold overnight its always lower than when I check it hot after 10 mins.

I only follow the latter as per the manual when adding oil though.

·
Registered
22,317 Posts
A quick Google suggests that engine oil does indeed lose density with increasing temperature. Ergo, less volume at lower temperatures.
Go and stick the requested 500ml in and forget about it!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Be glad you haven't got a R56 Mini or car with the same Prince engine, it consumes 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles. BMW, Peugeot etc all say that's normal.

·
20,479 Posts
A quick Google suggests that engine oil does indeed lose density with increasing temperature. Ergo, less volume at lower temperatures.
Go and stick the requested 500ml in and forget about it!
John, naughty. You should know better lol

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
can somebody point me in the right direction for a top up 1L bottle of the correct oil for my car please

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts