Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
808 Posts
Its not the fob batteries that are the problem BigKev, it's the main car battery.. and this is the first time I've heard of it on an XJ, only ever heard of it on the facelift XF before.
As they say en France, quelle dick....! Don’t argue.......

·
Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
1,470 Posts
There's been a lot of talk about letting the system shut down because of a couple of instances of problems with, I believe, facelift X250s. My experience with my X351 (and previously with a pre-facelift X250) is that it is not required to let the system shutdown. I have swapped batteries and disconnected the battery for electrical work in both cars without issue.
I have been lucky with this as well. I would say more than 20times when I was rebuilding the engine. The only issue I had was Amplifier failed which I repaired it by replacing the chip.

this waiting is just to ensure all modules are 100% off. They could switch off in 5mins but not always. This time includes the maximum normal shutdown time plus extra 5mins and time to force he shutdown. XF’s before MY13 are more at risk because of longer waiting time. XJ, newer XF and many others have shorter waiting times. 20mins that means if all modules behave normally, they should be shut down in about 10mins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don’t recommend disconnecting the car battery at all.

Yes. The pin that I was talking about is like this:
View attachment 185814
They damage easily
My key fob does not look like that, it looks like this...

I meant the main car battery not the fob that should be done asap.
I have the battery disconnected currently and waiting the 33 mins and will report back, a couple things I noticed when I was removing terminals, there was a periodic faint beep coming from somewhere in the boot, and also there was a loose wire that was not plugged in anywhere and I'm unsure where it should be plugged, attaching an image to show

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You guys are geniuses! It worked!! Hopefully it's not just a temporary fix, but I tried all the buttons on the fob and everything worked. Thank you all so much for the help. Still wondering if anyone knows if the beeping is normal, it stopped once the battery was unplugged and once I got the negative back on it started again, and that random loose wire end, I'm still unsure it that is important at all, I looked all over the area where it would reach and could not find a port to plug it into.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Great news, hopefully that's an end to it, thanks for coming back and letting us know!

I can't help on the beeping but on the subject of the extra wiring connector, I'm pretty sure XF's have a connector spare like that and seem to remember it's for the rechargeable torch accessory that lives on the side wall of the boot/trunk. Though thinking about it, I'm not sure that was the location of the connector, hopefully someone with a better memory will be along shortly..

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
The beeping is normal in the boot of the XJ. Mine sounds like R2D2 hibernating.

I recall a post a while ago that the spare lead is for when the car is first being transported (or it may have been for the pre-delivery inspection) - on any case, it doesn’t plug into anything in an ongoing basis, and so just leaves it tucked out of the way.

Great that you’ve sorted the smart key issue.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Same here with the beeping. I have no idea what it is! (Countdown to auto destruct maybe? :eek: )

21 - 29 of 29 Posts