Jaguar Forum banner
1301 - 1320 of 1342 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,302 ·
Greatwork, I would have been tempted to send the charger off for the rotor and gears to be refurbished. That said you can always pull the charger again if you need to.
Yeah always an option but this is my only car and only had access to another as my mum wasn't going to work over the weekend and a couple of days after and I certainly wasn't going to walk.

Also, whilst I can use the garage, I can't leave it on the ramp for a week or so whilst I wait for it back, well I could but I'd be paying for the time it's there

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,304 ·
Bearings and new charger drain plug arrived today:

Also collected a few little pieces to do whilst it comes off again, like Throttle body gasket, couple of o rings, clips etc that would have been good to replace the first time around now I know they're there. So good in a way that it comes off again :D

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,306 ·
Will have to check when I'm home but somewhere in the region of 8k I would have thought at this point once I add in the recent purchases... the exhaust was over £1k, brakes would have been pushing toward that sort of number too

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,307 ·
Onto the next stage, NSF door speaker was rattling, so removed it, clearly dead:

Wanted to improve the sound, this is the OEM sound deadening:

Replaced the speaker for a working unit:

But only after adding some deadening material, which was added to every single door:

Found this in the driver door!

Drove home and treated myself to low music volume as the car was much quieter inside! Was very much an improvement...

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Result, and you even got an addition to your toolkit in the form of a wood drill bit lol.

·
20,053 Posts
Found this in the driver door!

Drove home and treated myself to low music volume as the car was much quieter inside! Was very much an improvement...
What was the previous owner doing that he had that drill bit in the door?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Probably drilling. But my guess is a child slid that in from top.
Who would give a drill bit to a child as a toy? Or if not that, let a child with a spade drill bit anywhere near that car!!!

·
Administrator
27,989 Posts
It probably fell out of the hand tool they used in the factory to put extra drain holes in the bottom of the door. :D

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,315 ·
So I spoke to the supplier of the supercharger parts about the condition of the oil as I've been thinking about just how much swarf was in there and effectively the supercharger is kaput.

They said if the swarf is visible in the oil and not just an amount picked up via a magnet then there are 2 places it could have come from in that quantity; the timing gears teeths hardened surface or the bearing casing at the rear of the rotors. In either of those instances it requires a rotor pack rebuild which is in the region of £800... they suggested I try to find a good second hand low mileage replacement... now I have the new snout on the car (can swap that over easily enough) and the replacement case bearings and new oil so I can do a rebuild of the replacement charger.

Just weighing up what to do...

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
So I spoke to the supplier of the supercharger parts about the condition of the oil as I've been thinking about just how much swarf was in there and effectively the supercharger is kaput.

They said if the swarf is visible in the oil and not just an amount picked up via a magnet then there are 2 places it could have come from in that quantity; the timing gears teeths hardened surface or the bearing casing at the rear of the rotors. In either of those instances it requires a rotor pack rebuild which is in the region of £800... they suggested I try to find a good second hand low mileage replacement... now I have the new snout on the car (can swap that over easily enough) and the replacement case bearings and new oil so I can do a rebuild of the replacement charger.

Just weighing up what to do...
I didn't want to say but I suspected as much, been there got the bill to prove it. I would pull it and send it off for rebuild. Your an attention to detail type chap you will never be happy unless it's 100%.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,317 ·
I didn't want to say but I suspected as much, been there got the bill to prove it. I would pull it and send it off for rebuild. Your an attention to detail type chap you will never be happy unless it's 100%.
I just found a brand new charger that came from a crate engine, seen the pictures and absolutely 0 wear on any rotor surfacing or such, it was the same price as a rebuilt one, but now I won't have the hassle of the car not being usable for the rebuild time...

About to go and complete a round trip of about 300 miles to collect it, but it'll be done for good this way..

Will just swap the snout over when it is replacement time.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I just found a brand new charger that came from a crate engine, seen the pictures and absolutely 0 wear on any rotor surfacing or such, it was the same price as a rebuilt one, but now I won't have the hassle of the car not being usable for the rebuild time...

About to go and complete a round trip of about 300 miles to collect it, but it'll be done for good this way..

Will just swap the snout over when it is replacement time.
Awesome someone looking down on you Jordan.

·
Registered
21,565 Posts
And don't forget to keep that money tree of yours watered during this hot weather. :D

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,320 ·
Didnt take me long to decide what to do, located a charger that was fitted to an engine that has never turned over...

So drove for 7 hours (rubber necking should be punishable by death and people that have the collisions that are a pre cursor should be sent to serve gard labour) and 250 miles...

Picked up the charger:

The dowels were damaged when the charger was sent to the person I bought it from, but I'm sure I can work that out easily enough!

Wasn't too expensive either all things considered

1301 - 1320 of 1342 Posts