Jaguar Forum banner

861 - 872 of 872 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I know you’ll find a way. If I am not wrong there is some kind of cam part on armrest that is sliding against a leaf spring. What do you think about covered both or one of contact surfaces with a thick rubber that keep them in tough through all travel range. I think that should work like a damper or at-least like a soft closing toilet seat hinge 😜

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #862
This is where I get outside of my knowledge area, if it is a pin that slides in, then yes adding rubber would add resistance but you'd have to lubricate it slightly to stop it creaking would you not?

The force on the rubber would eventually wear it out too potentially, where's the mechanical engineer with lots of spare time and a vested interest in solving remedial problems when you need one 😂

·
Registered
808 Posts
From memory the leaf spring was very smooth. You can use rubber grease as lubricant that is sticky but stops the noise. It’s a raw idea though.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
Will have a look when I take it apart, I'm happy to run the car with no armrest for a while

·
Registered
18,452 Posts
For interest, here is the centre armrest in the XJ. As you can see, there is an arm each side which is what I believe is sprung.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
Cheers John, I found some pictures of XF and XJ armrests removed, the arms on the XJ are likely sprung and the XF is on pins, perhaps harder to spring, I am unsure...

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #867
Someone on another forum directed me to a site, featuring these:

Could well be a viable solution looking at three description

·
Registered
808 Posts
I checked mine Jordan. There are two arms in front that looks like damper but they are just sliders. Is it what you have as well?

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #871
I believe that it is, can't see too much from memory...

I have E-Mailed that hinge company to see if they've got anything appropriate to make it self opening and resist on the way down to prevent it slamming.

I will still take mine off to have a look to see if a more discrete solution is possible. I have to find the source of damp in my sisters car tomorrow though

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #872
So the hinges are a no go I am afraid, so I started exploring other avenues, everything I had seen about removing the rest said there were screws being the rear panel:

Popped the sides off:

They clip through the rear panel:

Panel comes away:

Some torx screws:

Some more:

Would not come out, looking here there are some pins:

They slide out, nudged one with an Allen key:

Rear 2 aren't accessible through that means and the other front was stuck:

Out they came:

Slides out:

Look at the hinges:

I thought the right one was different because of the movement and locking:

However it was just pushed in...

Couldn't see viable hinge options as you cannot split the armrest as far as I can tell, so I thought I would affix the dampers more correctly.

Pry out the silver cover:

Revealing the void:

Check the screw length:

All good, but they're not self tapping, so abandoned and now back to square one with no dampers fitted...

Popped the old seals out the front calipers:

And finally got seals on rears:

Hopefully they stay on when I wind them back...

861 - 872 of 872 Posts