Jaguar Forum banner

841 - 860 of 901 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
That came out almost 20 years before I was born 😂 no wonder I had no idea...

I've seen a fair few 80s films, but very few from prior to that

·
Registered
18,531 Posts
That came out almost 20 years before I was born 😂 no wonder I had no idea...

I've seen a fair few 80s films, but very few from prior to that
I was referring to the original ballad, not a film. So somewhat older than that, then.

Reactions: JordanRaven

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
Compared old and new on the front pistons:

The ridge looks marginally larger on the new, but same size overall which is good... glad I went for new ones, the faces are not in the best shape on the old!

Then took the carriers down, as i was tired of hitting my head on them:

They will get ceramic coated at some point, probably indoors to make sure they're at a nice temperature for application and curing.

Then fitted the dampers in the armrest, bit of 3M VHB:

That worked exceptionally well for one side but not for the other for some reason...

Felt tape along the contact bar:

For the side that didn't work so well, cut some velcro:

Double sided tape:

Did the same for the other surface of velcro and fitted.

Tested by dropping the lid a few times, much better noise and also they both stayed put.

In preparation for the brake fitting, got a few different flat head screwdrivers, slid some heatshrink on as per the workbook instructions:

Put the torch on them quickly:

Still not continued with the calipers themselves, may enlist the help of a friend whose unit i visit and have mentioned previously, they regularly rebuild many things including brakes.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Compared old and new on the front pistons:

The ridge looks marginally larger on the new, but same size overall which is good... glad I went for new ones, the faces are not in the best shape on the old!

Then took the carriers down, as i was tired of hitting my head on them:

They will get ceramic coated at some point, probably indoors to make sure they're at a nice temperature for application and curing.

Then fitted the dampers in the armrest, bit of 3M VHB:

That worked exceptionally well for one side but not for the other for some reason...

Felt tape along the contact bar:

For the side that didn't work so well, cut some velcro:

Double sided tape:

Did the same for the other surface of velcro and fitted.

Tested by dropping the lid a few times, much better noise and also they both stayed put.

In preparation for the brake fitting, got a few different flat head screwdrivers, slid some heatshrink on as per the workbook instructions:

Put the torch on them quickly:

Still not continued with the calipers themselves, may enlist the help of a friend whose unit i visit and have mentioned previously, they regularly rebuild many things including brakes.
Jordan, those screwdrivers look a bit weedy for the job at hand.
I struggled with a much larger one than those at first then I grabbed my biggest and boofiest screwdriver (12" long and 1/2" across the tip) and it was much easier. You really need to put a lot of force into levering the ant-rattle clip plate "up and in", much more than you would think, and a mahoosive screwdriver does the trick.

Reactions: JordanRaven

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
Jordan, those screwdrivers look a bit weedy for the job at hand.
I struggled with a much larger one than those at first then I grabbed my biggest and boofiest screwdriver (12" long and 1/2" across the tip) and it was much easier. You really need to put a lot of force into levering the ant-rattle clip plate "up and in", much more than you would think, and a mahoosive screwdriver does the trick.
Thought I used one of those to fit it before, but cheers for the tip, I have large ones in the garage so I'll prepare one of the larger ones then (y)

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
As requested @hamedhbb here is a video:

Still makes noise, but it is a lot less harsh than before, I would ideally like to have it sprung and biased towards opening. Unsure if its design even allows for that and I'm certainly from no engineering background...

Also, I had to velcro the other side as it had fallen off during the night. The original velcro side was still in place, but I do have my doubts about the longevity of the fixing. Perhaps time to check what runs behind that panel and look at using the supplied screws...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks for the video. Where is the noise from this time? When the arm rest just reaches dampers, does the latch touch the hole?

P.s. For instance, I didn’t receive notification for this mention at all!

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
The noise is coming from where it hits the dampers i believe, but it may still be the latch hitting. Hard to tell, the noise isn't as harsh as the video portrays.

Yeah I don't get any whatsoever, will just have to live with it 😶

·
18,754 Posts
The noise is coming from where it hits the dampers i believe, but it may still be the latch hitting. Hard to tell, the noise isn't as harsh as the video portrays.

Yeah I don't get any whatsoever, will just have to live with it 😶
Are you not able to do anything with the hinge? I can't remember mine clearly TBH, but I thought it was slower than that.

What if there was a spring installed in the hinge - just weak enough to let the door close - but not at full speed?

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
That's what I want to do, but I don't know how to do it to be honest, may take the arm rest off to look.

The damper isn't a permanent solution in my mind, hence me being hesitant to screwing it in.

·
Registered
897 Posts
hinges seems to be spring loaded to slam the arm rest instead of slow it down. However on my car the latch makes most of the noise. I put a cloth in the hole and it completely eliminates the noise. I even though about removing the latch. I doubt there is any need for a latch when I rest my arm on it.

·
Registered
18,531 Posts
The only difference between the XF and XJ ones is a spring that lifts the lid and holds it open on the XJ. You have to push it to close. So "all" it needs is a spring.

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #856
hinges seems to be spring loaded to slam the arm rest instead of slow it down. However on my car the latch makes most of the noise. I put a cloth in the hole and it completely eliminates the noise. I even though about removing the latch. I doubt there is any need for a latch when I rest my arm on it.
If that's the case then I am reversing the spring, assuming that's possible...

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #857
The only difference between the XF and XJ ones is a spring that lifts the lid and holds it open on the XJ. You have to push it to close. So "all" it needs is a spring.
Thats the way it should be, removal ahoy!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Jordan, just fit soft close toilet seat hinges ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #860
Have a look. I didn’t try but didn’t seem straight forward. I think spring is part of the hinge mechanism that locks it open.
Yeah I had a look at the armrest via pictures of them removed, so it looks like the spring part would stay in the body of the centre console.

All getting quite involved for the armrest, but it is annoying and now I know its there I won't be able to leave it alone 😂

841 - 860 of 901 Posts