Jaguar Forum banner

701 - 720 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
Been looking for replacement front pistons for the damaged brake piston, then suddenly remembered i have a spare front caliper in the garage...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
Got under the car to start work, here it is bone dry:

Demonstrates the slow nature of the leak as I've driven around 100 miles since and done a couple of motorway trips (albeit short ones to the dealer). It did make me doubt if it needed doing!

The old fixing still on the car:

Drained the oil:

Then onto the filter:

Tool was no good...

Onto the next one:

Ah:

Ordered a 90mm 15 flute cup for the housing...

Probably should have got one of these...

Then I noticed something:

Time to rip it off:

The seal sat very flush with the housing:

Picked it out:

Hard to demonstrate, but the seal was quite rigid:

I mean it isnt awful, but with the leak being so tiny it may have been the cause.

Haven't started the car, as I want to change the filter, but I have put 6.5l of oil in, (7.3 is ervice quantity), so I can swap the fikter as soon as the filter arrives. Then it will be time to start it up and see.

In other news I have been asked to a redundancy consultation meeting... Will see what the package might look like, although I am expecting it to be bear legal minimum...

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
In other news I have been asked to a redundancy consultation meeting... Will see what the package might look like, although I am expecting it to be bear legal minimum...
Good luck with/at the meeting Jordan.. (y)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Cheers Pete, although I now know the package is statutory and was already fairly sure I am going. But hey ho, didn't like the job, may like a new one...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Cheers Pete, I won't be getting much of a payout, but am happy to go into a pay cut job locally whilst I look for something I really want to do.

Luckily most of the DIY that I am involved with is done or will be done within my notice period

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
At least you will have some certainty, good luck with your job hunt, onwards & upwards

Reactions: JordanRaven

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Well my 90mm 15 flute Jaguar XF fitment oil filter socket arrived...

How wonderful, it doesn't fit, several mm too large, and my other strap snapped trying to undo it. My large filter pliers gave scratched the housing significantly but it still won't budge!

Will order a new cap at some point, shame they don't have the head on them for normal sockets like the BMW one used to :wall:

Not sure what I'm doing at the moment, may see if the local dealer has a cap and then just smash this poxy thing off!

·
18,267 Posts
Seals that are flattened or too rigid are only good for throwing away. No use.

When you do replace the seal, don't overtighten the bolts, as you can end up deforming the areas not under the bolts, nuts etc so much that a new seal won't work.

Have you tried a chain strap wrench? They can be brutal, but will get the job done. Last resort type tool where you may well need a new filter bowl.

Good to see everything coming along nicely Jordan. Let's hope your job prospects are as good (y)

Silly question with trying to slacken off the filter bowl, you are turning it anti-clockwise from the top? I'm presuming it's a right hand thread:unsure:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Yeah the spec is 12nm, luckily access is poor so hard to go over without being a bit silly I would have thought, my torwye wrench stops at 25nm...

I haven't got one, but I have ordered a different socket tool that says on the packaging JLR 5.0

I was indeed, I even tried the other way in cade I was being stupid!

·
Registered
17,794 Posts
Have you tried one of these?

You'd need to use a length of that canvas strap to protect the plastic housing but it won't snap!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
I don't have one, my large filter pliers couldn't get it off and scratched it so I will be getting any new cap for the next change.

Hopefully the socket that comes tomorrow is just the order, if not I'll take the mondeo up the garage and borrow some tools...

Wouldn't have been an issue if my mum didn't throw my snap on filter tool in the bin

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
I have been told that circa 10% of XFR left with an 88mm oil filter cap, but they were all supposed to be changed to 90mm caps as part of a service...

With mine being full deaker history if that were the case you'd hope that would have been done.

When i phone the dealer tomorrow I'll ask if they can confirm the cap size, I will also count the flutes in the morning. Probably shoukd have done that earlier to be honest.

If it is 16 and not 15 I know i have the 88mm cap, with there only being 2mm on a curved cap thought measuring may be a tad awkward.

If it is 16 I will look at alternative removals

·
Administrator
27,549 Posts
You will get there!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
Indeed, mate is in the garage all weekend, helping him sort a Transporter, there is a box mounted on the wall with about 30 different oil filter caps.

Problem solved tomorrow

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
My XFS, XFR and F-Type oil filter canisters were/are all 15 flute and 88 mm diameter.
I bought a removal cap from Fleabay years ago for cheap, works a treat.
Just search for 88 mm 15 flute and you should find heaps of them.
Also keep an eye out for oil filter + canister + mounting plate, I found an OEM set going real cheap (same cost as just the oil filter) so now I have a spare canister and spare mounting plate if ever I need one of them.

Reactions: JordanRaven

·
Registered
475 Posts
My 2010 XFR has the 90mm 15 flute type. I bought the socket from the bay a while back. It works a treat.
Good luck getting that off Jordan, I presume it hasn't been changed in a while.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
I had it off in November, thats why i don't understand! Also, it was a 90mm 15 flute, which means the tool I bought depsite being listed as 90mm 15 flute, clearly is not!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
Went up the garage to help my mate with a van, quickly borrowed their oil filter set, easy find:

Span out easily:

Nice clean filter and supple o ring, although I would hope so with less than 4k miles:

Torque wrench out for the refitting:

Done, cleaned the cap obviously:

The 90/15 tool that was used...

701 - 720 of 720 Posts