Jaguar Forum banner

681 - 700 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
Took the calipers to the garage and got them laid out:

Started dismantling the rears, the pistons were moved out by moving the lever for the handbrake:

A fair bit of old dirty fluid left in them:

Some significant corrosion under the boot:

Pistons in good condition:

Cleaned the recess out:

Changed the internal seal:

Old seals:

Significant number of new seals:

It seems several are the handbrake and line seals, only 2 for the calipers like normal...

Slipped the dust covers on, but more on those later:

Block in front caliper:

Blast of air:

Unfortunately that wasn't all of the way, used foam and one shot out, the other one we pulled out, but dun dun dun:

Got the other caliper sorted fine by blasting them with air into the foam, then holding the one that released fully with wood and using foam to loosen the other:

I need to get a replacement piston for the fronts now...

I tried seating the pistons in the rear with the dust cover, but when turning the piston back in, the dust cover kept pinging off of its seat... it is a metal band type of fitment.

It was annoying me and I wanted a peaceful weekend so I packed up and came home.

Will have another go once I sort out a piston, or perhaps get them rebuilt by someone...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
Finaoly got my spare key blade cut after many many months and several places refusing to cut it:

Works lovely, will get some graphite on it and run it through the lock a few times at some point.

Will also address the dirty chrome on the next wash which is due :lol:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
Did some work on the car today, not much, but some...

Started with the oil leak, I've lost 0.5l in the past few months, slight leak, as shown when I saw the sump lightly coated when I changed the diff oil.

So I bought some dye:

Nice little pull caps:

This is what it looks like under UV light:

Put some 44k in the tank:

Cleaned off the sump:

I was expecting it to be difficult to find, but left the car running, went back under and saw this:

Very slow leak, very slow indeed...means the dye maybe wasn't needed, but glad I got it just in case it was needed.

This is the part it is leaking from:

UV goggles not needed in the end:

Think this is the part I require:

Kept the undertray off:

This is the damage it has:

Thats why I cut the mounting points off the broken one I bought recently, will look at repairing it whilst I find and wait for the oil part. Then I can change the seal, the oil and refit the undertray in one swoop.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Nicely done Jordan. (y)

Reactions: JordanRaven

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
Will phone the dealer monday, dont want to pay £8 postage on a £12 o ring that can get sent for the price of a second class stamp and an envelope! And the last part I had from them took them 6 days to despatch!

Shocking...

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Cheers Pete, looking forward to getting these bits done
I can understand that Jordan.. however, bearing in mind it's you.. you'll probably have added more to, than taken off the list by the time you do those jobs in a few days... :D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #688
I can understand that Jordan.. however, bearing in mind it's you.. you'll probably have added more to, than taken off the list by the time you do those jobs in a few days... :D
Nah, replacing the seal is the only job I've added in a long time! It has been reducing quite significantly, if I had carried the momentum through to the car I would almost be done

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
I have found the workshop piece on replacing the seal, well removal of the pump and reinstall instructions. Which include replacing the o ring obviosuly, a minor 12nm, perhaps worth adding a tiny bit of Loctite on the threads...

Need to change the oil anyway, and add a flush to clear the dye out

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
The oil seal is £10.13 excluding VAT from my dealer, will be collecting it tomorrow and will pick up engine flush on my way back...

May be worth me repairing the undertray today and getting it done together

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
Collected the seal today along with some engine flush, ready to drop the oil and change the seal.

With that in mind I thought I may as well repair the undertray and then I can put it back onto the csr once I have finished...

Got the matching cut off for the damaged side:

Seats nicely, but thought it may introduce fitment problems:

Cut the other one off and matched up:

Bit of a gap but no real issue.

Got the fibreglass going, never used it, probably never will again, good thing I don't do bodywork:

Once it set I flipped it over:

Got a mat on that and plenty of resin:

Something to make it less noticeable:

Not pretty, but with the likelihood of redundancy and it being well over £200 for a new one, its fine:

Got some washers out:

Put some bond on the mounting faces:

Stuck the washers in place:

Will be very much dry by the time it gets fitted, may be tomorrow, we will see

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
If it works, it's not a botch Jordan. (y)

Nice bit of ingenuity and a lot cheaper than a new one bearing in mind your redundancy uncertainty. :cool:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
Can't get any cheaper than free Pete! Had that fibreglass kit for about 8 years, didnt pay for it and no idea where the washers are from...

I know almost everyone who will ever go under my car as there aren't many I allow under there, I'm sure I'll get some remarks in jest but hey ho

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personally, I would have just bonded that cut off peice to the undertray, then it still retains its strength.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
Judging by the amount of second hand ones with smashed mounting points on those 2 areas I don't think they have any

I picked up the tray by the mounting point and it didn't move, but no doubt it wouldn't last a lifetime of removals and refitting, but I do have a pump to drain oil which will mean less removals.

Even without that mounting point attached the tray held on the car fine, and hopefully I am not out of work for long which will mean an eventual replacement if it were to fail.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #697
Decided to refine the finish, slapped on loads of filler:

Sanded it back with very coarse paper owing to the zealous application:

Put on a thin layer to fill the remaining missing bits:

This will be sanded with a much finer paper, that should give an acceptable finish...

·
18,277 Posts
I think you and Conor should start your own fibre glass repair businesses;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #699
I'll do what my mate did and mix it up 2l at a time in a bucket so it melts a hole in the garage floor...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
Flatted in back again:

Coat in stone chip:

Closeup showing that it isn't a great finish but I have had enough of filler and sanding and it isnt a display item:

681 - 700 of 720 Posts