Jaguar Forum banner

641 - 660 of 747 Posts

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
This would be much much much better Jordan as it's far closer to your eye line: https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/Jaguar/XF/2013/654200.htm

It also will 'slide' left and right so you can get it to where you want it.

Ignore the B.S. about left hand drive and right hand drive.. it's the same bracket, just go for the cheaper one... ;)

I ignored the pre-drilled holes and mounted mine a little lower as I didn't want it sticking up too far, good compromise. (y)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
Cheers Pete, I thought it looked like it mounts on the vent though? Didn't want to interfere with that really, have yout got an image of it in use at all? I'm a simple person who likes visual aid 😂

·
Registered
218 Posts
Jordon I have that bracket, it clips between the dash & crash pad. Don't use it now as I have the same one you had, the Brodit does block the vent unless you slide it along!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Oh Jordan.. you're so needy sometimes...

Which when translated from 'Kernow' should read: "Whoops!!.. and to think that I'd carefully shrunk a picture to post for you.. and then forgot... :rolleyes: ..."

I don't drive from the passenger side.. so I don't care bout the lessened air flow... :D

Reactions: JordanRaven

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #645
Cheers John, the one i had for my iPhone had no issue but this is the second time it has been a problem with my Samsung. That being said I bought the csr tail end of last summer so it never experienced the heat we currently have.

I have found a well reviewed magnetic mount that slots into the CD slot, I will simply store it in the armrest when not using it...

It is the most practical and aesthetic in and out of use, just got to hope it lives to the reviews now

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #646
Oh Jordan.. you're so needy sometimes...

Which when translated from 'Kernow' should read: "Whoops!!.. and to think that I'd carefully shrunk a picture to post for you.. and then forgot... :rolleyes: ..."

View attachment 180897

I don't drive from the passenger side.. so I don't care bout the lessened air flow... :D
Always needy Pete, its why I still live with my parents...

That looks more functional than I thought, but glad I went with the CD slot option, if that fails perhaps that will be the next step

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #647
Just for continuity, the cabinet solutions didn't work, and it was painfully slow removing the finish on the caliper. In 3 hours I did about 1/3 of a front caliper...

I found a place local that is doing the remainder for £100...

I am selling the cabient and media to recuperate some money. I am still glad i went down the route of trying it, now I know for future and whatnot...

The place is quite local and cheap, so if I ever need blasting done ill be going there. They do a massive variety of coatings too if i need electroplating, powder or whatnot

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #648
These are the rivets that hold the forward sensor bracket, they are super chunky! So much so, none of the heads that came with my rivet gun fit them...

They look rather peculiar in design too, time to think of a solution for that, perhaps good old nut, bolt and washer with some threadlocker

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
These are the rivets that hold the forward sensor bracket, they are super chunky! So much so, none of the heads that came with my rivet gun fit them...

They look rather peculiar in design too, time to think of a solution for that, perhaps good old nut, bolt and washer with some threadlocker
Or a self tapper!

Reactions: PeteA

·
18,475 Posts

Looks like a 3/16" tucker pop rivet.
It'll probably be a break-head, rather than break-stem type.
Break-stem are more expensive - and leaves a part of the mandrill in the actual rivet for strength.

Break-head just leaves the head of the mandrill in the rivet tail - sometimes - and is substantially weaker.

If you really want to fit that rivet, you can sacrifice one of the lesser used rivet gun collets - by opening it up a fraction wider than the mandrill diameter with a drill.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
And this is where it shows that I am an office boy...

I assume that basically means that I need to put the rivet gun collect over the shorter stumpy part? Will have to see if i have any drill bits in my set that meet the criteria!

·
18,475 Posts
Without seeing the rivet properly - its hard to tell.

It looks like a pop-rivet, but it could be a cherry-max rivet which secures a collar around the mandrill. This stops the mandrill from ever dropping out due to vibration and keeps the rivet very strong.

I've only ever seen those in aerospace applications though. Never on a car. First time for everything though.

·
18,475 Posts
And this is where it shows that I am an office boy...

I assume that basically means that I need to put the rivet gun collect over the shorter stumpy part? Will have to see if i have any drill bits in my set that meet the criteria!
No.

You place the collect of the rivet gun over the smaller diameter of the mandrill. The left side of your picture. The larger diameter to the right gets pulled into the rivet and basically deforms it by increasing its diameter. When the mandrill cant be pulled anymore (because it has forced the two items together) you then need to squeeze the rivet gun more - so that the mandrill shears - either at the head or the stem as I said earlier.

It should just be a normal tucker pop rivet, but there are many other variants of blind rivets.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #655
Ta, looks like I may be able to borrow a heavy duty gun that may have the correct heads with it anyway. Will check it fits and take both

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Always needy Pete, its why I still live with my parents...

That looks more functional than I thought, but glad I went with the CD slot option, if that fails perhaps that will be the next step
I found the the CD slot mount caught on the dash above it. Wouldn’t allow the phone to sit properly.

I gave it to my son and bought a sucker type with magnetic mount from JML. Stuck it to the coin tray lid as I never used it for such. A low profile USB power plug with right angle adapter in below and power was sorted. Ran the cable out of the gap between the lid and the lower part of the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #658
Phone mount arrived quicker than expected:

Comes with adhesive magnet plates:

Also, 3 rubber shims, of varying thickness, to ensure the mount fits snugly into the CD slot:

Here you can see how they attach onto plastic dowels:

The green section is protective film, theyre a brushed silver...

Fitted a +1 shim (thinnest) to get a lovely fit:

Here it is in place:

Took the car for a quick drive down some roads by my house that arr so bumpy I drive 0.5 mile around them to leave my house or go home... It held up fine.

The arm holding the mount ideally could do with being about 3 or 4mm longer, this would give enough clearance to give a very wide range of motion. That being said, it holds my phone in a visible place and I use it for sat nav, so it being up there doesn't matter at all.

Only issue I can see is that it obscures the hazard button

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
You’re in a Jaaaaaag. Why would you ever need the Hazards button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Here it is in place:

Only issue I can see is that it obscures the hazard button
Jordan, I have a CD mount phone holder, and had same issue. Just turn your phone horizontal and it is fine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

641 - 660 of 747 Posts