Jaguar Forum banner

621 - 640 of 747 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #621
I dont have the option for direct plug in unless it is the shed and as far as i am aware as much as the shed has its own breaker it won't be able to take too much...

I am going to take the cabinet to the garage and use their supply, it can hold automotive spray painting for long enough to paint a car and run air tools simultaneously. I am sure it will manage the small cabinet, tad annoying but hey ho, it isnt something id be using very often

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
In think what Lawrence is eluding to is the max load on a 13a socket is around 3kW, Your cooker will have it's own dedicated supply though @32A so around 7.5Kw +

Reactions: PeteA

·
Registered
10,060 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi John, I know where you’re coming from but we’re sort of comparing apples with oranges.
A cooker will have at least a 32 amp supply and it is quite a ‘soft’ load.

A large motor takes a lot more than its stated constant running current to start up initially. My compressor is rated at 2.2 kw / 3 hp, but it will probably pull about 17 – 20 amps instantly to start it. Even with the ‘smoothing’ capacitors fitted on a typical single phase motor, that’s a lot. It is also recommended to put things like this on a circuit with a 32 amp breaker. If you use a 16 amp circuit, the breaker will almost certainly trip when the compressor re-starts.
If you take account that you are asking the motor to go from zero rpm and then overcome a pressure of 8 bar in the air receiver, that’s quite an amount of ooomph. The cooker load is very different.

The use of extension leads is not recommended either as you will get voltage drops which will (in time) cook the motor. Probably just after the warranty period. ‘Proper’ heavy duty reels are a more sensible solution, but I’ll stick to plugging mine straight into the wall socket. O/P a decent cable reel might be the answer for you?

I’m sure there are people on here far more qualified on electrickery than myself who will be able to explain things more eloquently.

BTW: OP, I forgot to mention that I believe these guys are highly regarded and knowledgeable.

Buy Air Compressors, Tools, Accessories and Spares | GT AIR

May be worth a quick call for advice?

A cheap improvement for the more basic compressors is to throw away the regulator supplied with the machine as it typically restricts flow to a 6mm I/D opening. You'd be better to fit high flow valve feeding an external regulator. I have this configuration and have very little pressure drop from the compressor even with a 30 metre air hose (10mm I/D). You’ll find that most tools specify 10mm I/D as a minimum.

The other aspect to consider is that belt-drive compressors are normally far quieter than direct-drive. Additionally, the noise they make is much less intrusive. It's a bit like comparing the sound of a large lazy V8 to a screaming four pot. They'll both get the job done, but I know what I'd rather have :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
Cheers for all of the help, I can take it to the garage so will do that and look later on in life for a compressor...

Probably when I own my own property

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #626
Paint arrived for the calipers today:

Almost entirely prepared for the rebuild now, just waiting for the cabinet and lacquer to arrive and then it can all start. Still need to order the pads, and maybe some performance fluid for the sake of completion...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #627
Another couple of deliveries today:

All 4 rear arms, also an oil filter (already have the oil)

And the lacquer for the brake calipers:

·
18,475 Posts
Didn't realise that Moog make these types of components. I've only ever seen them being used in multiplexers and leaf coil servo valves.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
I've used Moog suspension previously, I'd say it is up there with the like of Febi and similar

·
18,475 Posts
I've used Moog suspension previously, I'd say it is up there with the like of Febi and similar
They should be quite good, because we've used their servos not only on the ROVs but in aerospace too.

Reactions: JordanRaven

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #631
Yeah I havent had an issue, I've done a fair whack of suspension work over the years too. Talking of which, time to update a different run of threads 😂

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
I thought Moog only made synthesisers. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
27,743 Posts
Serious hydraulic control valves too, like on Injection Moulding machines.

·
18,475 Posts
Serious hydraulic control valves too, like on Injection Moulding machines.
Yep, they ain't cheap. We use them for the workclass ROV thruster direction and speed control.

Think they cost about £5000 each just for the servo with the balance leaf and armature pack on top.
I was told they cost that years ago - so god only knows how much they are now.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Jordan, make sure you use the same type of paint for both the base and the clear coat, eg acrylic, urethane, oil based, water based. Preferably the same brand as well. If you use different types of paint there is a good chance they won't play nice with each other and the clear will dissolve the base and run all over your nice new caliper decals, don't ask me how I know this!

Reactions: Gav

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #636
I've no idea what most of that machinery is!

Cheers for the paint advice, all of the stuff I bought has been used on Blanco's calipers without issue so hopefully it should go without issue

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Jordan, make sure you use the same type of paint for both the base and the clear coat, eg acrylic, urethane, oil based, water based. Preferably the same brand as well. If you use different types of paint there is a good chance they won't play nice with each other and the clear will dissolve the base and run all over your nice new caliper decals, don't ask me how I know this!
don't ask me either :(

Reactions: OzXFR

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #639
Took the cabinet to the garahe today, it works, but my god if you bought that to use regularly you'd be fuming...

More on that later, the plug for the light was a European plug :wall: so used one of the inspection lights with the magnet to illuminate the box:

Started by blasting a bolt to see how it works:

Pretty well! So i did the thread part too:

Done the big fixings:

The screws for the rear cover plates are tiny, much smaller than the guaze of the base, so had to put them on one of the front plates:

All of those done:

To show what I meant about the cabinet, this is the media on top of the cabinet, where it blows through the poor shut lines:

Lucky I took my 3M respirator with me really!

The air connection also leaks, so i patched it, with an Airwave! Jurassic Park Lost World style:

Got a front carrier done too:

The compressor was on full blast continuously, it's an industrial one that powers many tools simultaneously normally! Going to speak to the owner to see if i can go up there during the week and do it.

I am going to take the seal i got for 320d window trim to see if that improves the sealing of the lid too, might RTV the air connection too...

Happy with how it works though, it is getting the job done, just a bit slowly, but very thoroughly!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
My phone mount will not take my phone again, looms like the heat seriously distorts it...

It was a lovely solution before this issue, alas, it wasn't to be...

Now to look for a functional alternative as I use my phone for sat nav, it certainly won't be getting glued anywhere or attached to the screen...

Perhaps this:

Used Brodit proclip on the 320 and it is great

621 - 640 of 747 Posts